Around the League: It Smells Like Hockey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
im sure he will, Ovie used to destroy people with his hits! he was forced to stop it. He will have a chat with Wilson.

Ovie still does destroy people, although he’s adapted to the new style of play.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Really? I talk about players that way all the time, and their overall offensive totals are easily the most common way I see people refer to players' production, unless there's a reason they're trying to single out a specific stat.

The OP "compared" 8 games of a point-per-game 2nd-year playmaker's shots and goals on a rebuilding team to a 9-year veteran scorer who has paced 30 or more goals in the last 8 of them - You don't see why that seems a little loaded? Barzal has obvious, insane skill, and it makes no sense at all to me to post "updates" about this PPG sophomore as if he's having some rough start to his season, when he's actually his team's top point-producer. Scoring goals isn't everything, and if we had Barzal on our team we'd be singing his praises.

okay i do stand corrected. (PPG does get attacked to the playmaker) :)
but other than that - really no. but again, as I pointed out - if it is - I haven't heard it. (so it doesn't mean it's not so, just i didn't hear it).

If Barzal was on this team, and not scoring (even though putting up points) i don't think we'd (the collective we) be singing his praises, (for the most part) we'd be wondering why he wasn't scoring.
I don't know why the updates are, but i mean it is the out of town thread so stuff like that does get posted i guess. i personally don't care (because I don't care about Barzal or the Islanders). but i had noticed your post, and frustration and i just wanted to say what i said :laugh:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
okay i do stand corrected. (PPG does get attacked to the playmaker) :)
but other than that - really no. but again, as I pointed out - if it is - I haven't heard it. (so it doesn't mean it's not so, just i didn't hear it).

If Barzal was on this team, and not scoring (even though putting up points) i don't think we'd (the collective we) be singing his praises, (for the most part) we'd be wondering why he wasn't scoring.
I don't know why the updates are, but i mean it is the out of town thread so stuff like that does get posted i guess. i personally don't care (because I don't care about Barzal or the Islanders). but i had noticed your post, and frustration and i just wanted to say what i said :laugh:
But he is scoring - He's the top scorer on his team. Just because only one of those points is a goal, or because he passes more than he shoots, shouldn't be seen as a reason for concern when he's obviously still the major driver of offense on that team.

And I take no issue with people discussing other teams or players, I get that that's why the thread's here - Just seems like a really obvious, really unnecessary slant when talking about this particular player. This is a 21-year-old sophomore playmaker learning to be a #1C on a rebuilding team without a fantastic supporting cast, and he's still averaging a point every game - Who really gives a shit if he's passing the puck more than he needs to? I just don't get it.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
But he is scoring - He's the top scorer on his team. Just because only one of those points is a goal, or because he passes more than he shoots, shouldn't be seen as a reason for concern when he's obviously still the major driver of offense on that team.

And I take no issue with people discussing other teams or players, I get that that's why the thread's here - Just seems like a really obvious, really unnecessary slant when talking about this particular player. This is a 21-year-old sophomore playmaker learning to be a #1C on a rebuilding team without a fantastic supporting cast, and he's still averaging a point every game - Who really gives a **** if he's passing the puck more than he needs to? I just don't get it.

Barzal has 7 shots on goal in 8 games. He's the #1 center running PP1.

Igor Ozhiganov has 7 shots on goal.
Zaitsev has 9
Ennis has 10

Every single Leaf on the roster not named Marincin, Gardner, Johnsson and Gauthier has more shots on goal than Mat Barzal does this year.

Barzal having 7 shots on net through 8 games is an interesting piece of news I like to share.

Please.

Stop.

Posting.

Reactions: stickty111

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Barzal has 7 shots on goal in 8 games. He's the #1 center running PP1.

Igor Ozhiganov has 7 shots on goal.
Zaitsev has 9
Ennis has 10

Every single Leaf on the roster not named Marincin, Gardner, Johnsson and Gauthier has more shots on goal than Mat Barzal does this year.

Barzal having 7 shots on net through 8 games is an interesting piece of news I like to share.

Please.

Stop.

Posting
*Gets mad at me for censorship that was never there.

*Tells me to stop posting.

Fresh.

member 262271

Hopefully we get that Calgary next week.

Also how did we only score one goal against the Blues, they're really bad right now.
The time honoured tradition of showing up against strong teams and not against struggling teams isn't new. And yet, it gets me every damn time!

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
visualize marner with no Matthews, Tavares, kadri, Willie, etc ... how would he do?

He would have more than 7 shots on net.

I fully understand some of you think Barzal's shot total is not relevant or newsworthy and I'm being an ass. I also fully understand the people who think this way don't have a proper appreciation or context for how hard and unique it is for a forward in the NHL getting a regular shift to have that low a shot total. Then when you think he's the #1 center and runs the PP it gets even more odd.

I don't think we're in the twilight zone here. I don't think it's a crazy anomoly. He's not a great natural goal scorer. I'll bet he doesn't hit 20 this year...and I'll also bet Barzal not being able to direct enough offense at the net continues to be a story that goes beyond this thread. We'll see.

I think Barzal is a marvellous player who is a legit #1 center but he's got some holes in his game and the sledding go forward as the #1 is going to be much tougher than his rookie year. He needs to be paired with snipers because he will always be a premium distributor and he's not near that as a goal scorer. I do think his shot totals will go up because he'll get constant criticism for this current pace.

Last edited:

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
why do you keep bring up Barzal, hes is a great young player, move on...

You see that quote box in my posts? I'm responding to that. That's the way the message board works for me. People say stuff to me. I respond. Just like I'm doing now. If you respond to this post, I'm likely to do it again. Thanks.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You see that quote box in my posts? I'm responding to that. That's the way the message board works for me. People say stuff to me. I respond. Just like I'm doing now. If you respond to this post, I'm likely to do it again. Thanks.

you are clearly triggered by marner/barzal comparisons like that sticky3 guy, right?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
He would have more than 7 shots on net.

I fully understand some of you think Barzal's shot total is not relevant or newsworthy and I'm being an ass. I also fully understand the people who think this way don't have a proper appreciation or context for how hard and unique it is for a forward in the NHL getting a regular shift to have that low a shot total. Then when you think he's the #1 center and runs the PP it gets even more odd.

I don't think we're in the twilight zone here. I don't think it's a crazy anomoly. He's not a great natural goal scorer. I'll bet he doesn't hit 20 this year...and I'll also bet Barzal not being able to direct enough offense at the net continues to be a story that goes beyond this thread. We'll see.

I think Barzal is a marvellous player who is a legit #1 center but he's got some holes in his game and the sledding go forward as the #1 is going to be much tougher than his rookie year. He needs to be paired with snipers because he will always be a premium distributor and he's not near that as a goal scorer. I do think his shot totals will go up because he'll get constant criticism for this current pace.
I know you have no interest in hearing from me - (Hell, at this point I'm not sure you'll even see this post) - but your acknowledgement towards the end of your post is exactly why I've been giving you such a hard time about your stance on this player. Of course he's going to have a tougher time this year than he was last year - He's going from a #2C playmaker behind a franchise C on a not-great team to being the #1C playmaker on a not-great team at the age of 21, and he should be expected to have some growing pains. But, despite that, he's still a PPG player in that time -That's the kind of thing that I praise a player for, not sleight them for.

I get that his shot totals aren't that great - However, I think (based on this player's experience, his style as a playmaker, his needing to adapt to a new (and much more challenging) role, and his team situation) that focusing solely on his shot/goal totals is pretty much ridiculous. He's got 8 points in 8 games, and is leading his team in scoring, so it seems pretty unfair to me to suggest that he's unable to direct offense towards the net. Just because he does it through passes/assists doesn't make him worthy of criticism, in my opinion.

Joe Thornton has only surpassed 20 goals once in the past 9 seasons...

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
its an "Around the League" thread.

I'm very interested in Barzal's numbers this year. Looking back, I remember scouts having him lower on their board due to the low goal totals. He scored 12 goals in 44 games! For reference, Sean Durzi had 15 last year.
Durzi was a 19-year-old D+1 when he put up those numbers, while Barzal was a 17-year-old in his first draft eligible season - Barzal also put up 45 assists in those 44 games, to match against Durzi's 10G/16P at the same age.

When Barzal was 19 (the same age as Durzi when he put up the points you referenced) he had 79 points in 41 games.

It's very, very obvious to everyone that this kid is a playmaker first - Why the shit are people focusing on his shots/goals, when that's not at all his game? Literally the only reason I can think of is to try and make him look worse than he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad