Around the League - ...in 56 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
That's an understatement.

Right now Suzuki is maybe an ok 2nd line C. Kotkaniemi barely a 3rd line C. Romanov is trying to prove that he even belongs in the NHL yet.

Not only are they not there yet, they're nowhere close to being there yet.

Remember at the start of the year when the media was fawning over Suzuki?

The kids good, but hes not ready to be a 1c

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Remember at the start of the year when the media was fawning over Suzuki?

The kids good, but hes not ready to be a 1c

Man is this offseason is becoming the perfect proof of the dangers of overrating a playoffs series "win" or two.

Both MTL and VAN got absolutely suckered by their playoffs "success" and it led to a whole bunch of bad moves for both teams.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Oh no, that quote was directly from a tweet. I really wish I could find it again.

But for now, here's one 'arguably' legitimate source making the claim.

that is so damn funny.

and people think the media blows the LEAFS - when no media would be caught dead comparing even Auston matthews to a hall of famer like that.

I was going by the HFboards Habs forum takes over the last year or so. Check out their offseason posts in the specific player threads.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The host on TSN690 Montreal is apopleptic right now. Angry sports radio is the best sports radio

but its likely that that host has defended the hell out of Bergevin the last decade, when it was obvious to any honest broker that he was terrible.

so he should probably be angry at himself.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not sure Suzuki can be classified as a prospect.

well, when he was a prospect, he was imo similar to what robertson is as a prospect now. And as a player he's following a similar development path as I expect to see from Robertson as well.

Reactions: ToneDog

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
actually now that I look at it closer.....Robertson is actually on a more impressive trajectory than Suzuki was at the same age.

Similar warning signs in terms of size/skating though.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
that is so damn funny.

and people think the media blows the LEAFS - when no media would be caught dead comparing even Auston matthews to a hall of famer like that.

I was going by the HFboards Habs forum takes over the last year or so. Check out their offseason posts in the specific player threads.

3 or 4 weeks ago one poster was complaining that he was getting grief over his takes and doubled down that they were the next dynasty. There hasn't been a dynasty since the 80's. Closest thing would be the Red Wings.

Another was telling me going into the season "Price>>>>Thomas AINEC". His take was that going into the season, Price was far greater than what Thomas was going into the season they won their Cup. I pointed out that going into that season Thomas was #1 in the league for save % the previous 3 years where as Price was in the bottom third of the league over same said time frame.

Small sample sizes are very confusing to some.

Reactions: zeke

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
actually now that I look at it closer.....Robertson is actually on a more impressive trajectory than Suzuki was at the same age.

Similar warning signs in terms of size/skating though.

They seem so similar, to be honest. Luckily, unlike Suzuki, Robertson isn't expected to be our saviour at the toughest position in hockey. We can give him time to develop properly.

Also, I'll take his shot over an edge in playmaking any day.

I will admit, I watched 5-6 games early this season and thought Suzuki was a bonafide #1C. A lesson I seem to never learn when it comes to the first 25% of the season...

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Man is this offseason is becoming the perfect proof of the dangers of overrating a playoffs series "win" or two.

Both MTL and VAN got absolutely suckered by their playoffs "success" and it led to a whole bunch of bad moves for both teams.

The same mistake we made after the first infamous game 7 loss to Boston in 2013.

The Habs would have been better off not making the playoffs last season as opposed to building on the premise of false hope.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The same mistake we made after the first infamous game 7 loss to Boston in 2013.

The Habs would have been better off not making the playoffs last season as opposed to building on the premise of false hope.

they could have even capitalized on that playoffs run to pawn off some bad contracts on other dupe teams!

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
In case anyone needs a smile today:

upload_2021-2-26_11-10-4.png

Absolutely absurd salary commitments to non-core/non-elite players.

I didn't highlight Petry, but that one could also be painful very soon.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That Price contract is hilarious.

Weber's too, but if he retires IIRC the cap hit goes to Nashville right?

Montreal got the best remaining mileage out of Weber but his age is showing now.

Reactions: ToneDog

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
but its likely that that host has defended the hell out of Bergevin the last decade, when it was obvious to any honest broker that he was terrible.

so he should probably be angry at himself.

Oh certainly.

Montreal radio is the most homer radio Ive ever listened to. They list off all these "great moves" they have made while not realizing that these moves are in fact not grea. Like, making a huge plodding defense that cant move the puck isnt great in 2021. Edmundson, Chiarot, etc arent great defenseman. They arent great moves.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Many Leaf fans would not trade Nylander for Kane (50% retained) but damn, Kaner has moved ahead of Marner and tied with Matty with 31 points.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I still think the coaching change was nuts.

Fells weird to say it but if Carey Price played as well as Jake Allen, the Habs are up near the top of the division. Their numbers have been that good and Price has been that bad.

I'll be tracking them post coaching change but its not promising so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad