Around the League - ...in 56 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hawks are third in their division right now .. can't see them being sellers right now being in the mix for a playoff spot.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Anyways, I say this every year, but the first month of the season is not when people should be making definitive statements about any team in any league.

We always hear "This team is the class of the division" or "This team has locked up a playoff spot already" or "This team has killed their playoff chances already" etc. Dont say these things! When will the media learn?

Reactions: Dragao6

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Oh certainly.

Montreal radio is the most homer radio Ive ever listened to. They list off all these "great moves" they have made while not realizing that these moves are in fact not grea. Like, making a huge plodding defense that cant move the puck isnt great in 2021. Edmundson, Chiarot, etc arent great defenseman. They arent great moves.

That YUGE dcorps was supposed to smash the soft leafs into oblivion.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I still think the coaching change was nuts.

Fells weird to say it but if Carey Price played as well as Jake Allen, the Habs are up near the top of the division. Their numbers have been that good and Price has been that bad.

I'll be tracking them post coaching change but its not promising so far.

At the same time, Allen shouldn't be that good either.

Overall I think the Habs are at ~20th in save % which is reasonable given their goalies' recent histories.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
On the flip side, Jets are a very good team. Dubois is a legit top line center along with Schiefele

I hadn't considered it when the trade was made, but the 1/2 punch of Dubois/Schiefele really sets up the Jets well long-term.

Even with a mediocre supporting cast, that type of strength up the middle plus a decent goalie is almost guaranteed to be a playoff team.

On another note, the Senators, who are essentially dressing an AHL team this year, are 3pts back of Vancouver with 2 games in hand. Jim Benning really is beyond incompetent.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmma

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
At the same time, Allen shouldn't be that good either.

Overall I think the Habs are at ~20th in save % which is reasonable given their goalies' recent histories.

Yea, they had the same problem we did last year except our backup goalkeeping has been lightyears better than last year while our offensive game is even better.

Andersen has been his usual inconsistent self (especially on the PK) but Price has been close to tire fire level. That contract is looking so bad.

The Habs team play has been really good though and I think the coaching change may hurt the team. When the worst thing about the team is the powerplay and your starter while your 5v5 numbers are maybe the best in the league, why fire your head coach? Why not just get new special teams guys and work with Price? This looks purely political in nature as the GM was feeling the heat and used the headcoach as a scapegoat.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Gives me vibes of the Maurice era, where the roster was incredibly mediocre but below average goaltending really sunk them and Maurice was canned despite getting the most of the roster.

That being said I wouldn't believe the underlying stats of the Leafs at that time were as good as the Habs under Julien, but the general point is more about how the coach is the scapegoat for roster issues.

I think Calgary could be a good landing spot for Julien ... They have a good goalie, some nice defensive pieces, and could use some better structure.

Reactions: Dirty Sanchez

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Gives me vibes of the Maurice era, where the roster was incredibly mediocre but below average goaltending really sunk them and Maurice was canned despite getting the most of the roster.

That being said I wouldn't believe the underlying stats of the Leafs at that time were as good as the Habs under Julien, but the general point is more about how the coach is the scapegoat for roster issues.

I think Calgary could be a good landing spot for Julien ... They have a good goalie, some nice defensive pieces, and could use some better structure.

That's a great fit, Bert. Agreed!

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I am not buying all the Jets hype.

Their goalie is world class and their offense is good, but their defense have more holes than the star wars movie franchise.

If Hellebuyck gets injured the wheels on that locomotive will fall and that team eventually crashes hard. Maybe not as bad as Montreal, but bad enough.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
According to the Bruins intermission panel the Bruins got pushed around a little by Rangers. Trent Frederic stepped up again. From what I’ve seen he’s a likeable player.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
The best team in hockey - perfection line and all - are getting hammered for the second night in a row.

4 goals against in the last 4 minutes.

Can't blame Halak for this one.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Rags beat the Bruins tonight 6 - 2.

People-fireworks.jpg

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Anyways, I say this every year, but the first month of the season is not when people should be making definitive statements about any team in any league.

We always hear "This team is the class of the division" or "This team has locked up a playoff spot already" or "This team has killed their playoff chances already" etc. Dont say these things! When will the media learn?

Ie: Montreal Canadians this year lol

I hadn't considered it when the trade was made, but the 1/2 punch of Dubois/Schiefele really sets up the Jets well long-term.

Even with a mediocre supporting cast, that type of strength up the middle plus a decent goalie is almost guaranteed to be a playoff team.

isn’t that the leafs the last few years?

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
How much better would Montreal look if they had moved KK or Suzuki in a deal for Dubois?

Surprised they didn't push the chips in. A bonafide francophone 1C in his early 20s

Not that much better outside of their francophone posterity points.

No good wingers and bulky, burdensome contracts like Price and Gallagher, possibly even Weber now.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

No good wingers and bulky, burdensome contracts like Price and Gallagher, possibly even Weber now.

Personally I feel like Kotkaniemi lacks high end potential outside his shot, and flipping him and other assets for PLD would have been fantastic.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

They have good wingers, just nobody particularly elite. Despite his looming contract, Gallagher's been very good in the last few years.. And Toffoli's solid. Anderson's been playing like a top 6 winger so far as well, though I don't think he's a 30-goal guy.

Toffoli-PLD-Gallagher would be a strong first line.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
They have good wingers, just nobody particularly elite. Despite his looming contract, Gallagher's been very good in the last few years.. And Toffoli's solid. Anderson's been playing like a top 6 winger so far as well, though I don't think he's a 30-goal guy.

That's a good second line. Strong first line? No. Picture that line going against top defenses and hard hitting forwards.

As a Leafs fan, I would salivate at the opportunity to play against that line in a playoff matchup.

They might back check but Gallagher will get a dumb penalty and our powerplay would slaughter that team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Its a team of solid B to B+ pieces. That offensive group lacks any top tier talent.

Price will soon be in contention for one of the worst contracts in the league the ways he's playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad