Around the League - ...in 56 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The Avalanche must have an amazing team this year, I haven't watched any of their games. But a couple of great stats, they have taken more shots per game than any team in the league and also allowed the fewest shots per game than any team. They have scored more goals per game than any team in the league (Actually tied with Tampa) and allowed the fewest goals per game than any team in the league.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The Avalanche must have an amazing team this year, I haven't watched any of their games. But a couple of great stats, they have taken more shots per game than any team in the league and also allowed the fewest shots per game than any team. They have scored more goals per game than any team in the league (Actually tied with Tampa) and allowed the fewest goals per game than any team in the league.

It is hard to tell because their division is a weaker one in the league. The West is effectively a mirror of the Central. Tampa and Vegas are the powerhouses but have only been mediocre against the good teams. Carolina and Colorado are promising but haven't been able to get over the hump. They have done a bit better against the good teams though. Minnesota and Florida are punching above their weight and will make the first round tough for whoever is 2nd but likely bows out in the first round. Then the rest of the division is bad (since St. Louis has looked brutal in the West more often than not) and where the top teams are really racking up their points.

It'll be interesting to see come the playoffs when these teams are constantly going up against good teams. People say the North is weak but we have one less team and we still have to go up against 3 teams that are legitimately good on any given night in EDM, MTL, and WPG. The East is the only one who can really match that kind of depth in their division (but they also have free points in BUF). The other two divisions only have to play 2 harder teams and get 5 teams who can barely keeping their heads above water.

If the Leafs perform well against Winnipeg the next couple of games, we are the only team with a legitimately good record against all of the tough teams in our division and ironically would have our worst record against Ottawa. Colorado would be similar, but they are only shooting .500 against Vegas right now, and are also struggling against Anaheim and STL.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
had to post this.... another cringe-worthy example from Boston last night as Marchand jumps into a hit on Kulikov (no call), then drops the mits with Bratt, in true Marchand format tries to nail him with one while he's down on the ground and vulnerable, then gets out of the box and scores. The Boston announcer?

"Leadership comes in many forms!"

the game still has so much work to do to correct POSs like this.

Reactions: OddyOh

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

I'd understand the outrage if he hurt Kotka, but he didn't

Just ends up as a dumb play that makes him look petty and weak.

A suspension is overkill here unless the league starts prioritizing intent over result

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
had to post this.... another cringe-worthy example from Boston last night as Marchand jumps into a hit on Kulikov (no call), then drops the mits with Bratt, in true Marchand format tries to nail him with one while he's down on the ground and vulnerable, then gets out of the box and scores. The Boston announcer?

"Leadership comes in many forms!"

the game still has so much work to do to correct POSs like this.
Don't forget the leg sweep take down because he was losing positioning. Doesn't get the extra, doesn't get a fighting major, then scores while he should be in the box.

No doubt Boston makes the playoffs, but they were dominated most of the game.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I'd understand the outrage if he hurt Kotka, but he didn't

Just ends up as a dumb play that makes him look petty and weak.

A suspension is overkill here unless the league starts prioritizing intent over result

I have to disagree. It was a blatant and vicious and the fact that Kotka didn't get hurt should is not a credit to McDavid.

The NHL (mostly) does not punish players based on the level of injury, they do it based on the act. McDavid goofed up and that play was dirty. If DOPS has any credibility they will to the right thing and suspend him.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
I find the Verhaeghe situation absurd when people including largely Leaf fans say nonsense like "of course we traded him away lol".

Where is critical thinking? The Leafs traded him away 6 years ago and he has belonged to three orgs since then. He has barely played. And he could have been signed by any team as a free agent. But it's the Leafs fault for trading him when he was a middling prospect.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Don't forget the leg sweep take down because he was losing positioning. Doesn't get the extra, doesn't get a fighting major, then scores while he should be in the box.

No doubt Boston makes the playoffs, but they were dominated most of the game.

To me so much of the league's issues still arise from how pathetic and non-committal their policies are on stuff like this.

Reactions: OddyOh

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I have to disagree. It was a blatant and vicious and the fact that Kotka didn't get hurt should is not a credit to McDavid.

The NHL (mostly) does not punish players based on the level of injury, they do it based on the act. McDavid goofed up and that play was dirty. If DOPS has any credibility they will to the right thing and suspend him.
Actual impact is usually a trigger. It's why they don't and haven't suspended vicious slashes or even cross checks, which don't or barely land.

I wouldn't mind seeing it shift, but I don't think they're there yet. As-is. It's a high hit, without much impact or damage.

Hate to play this card, but Kadri is one of the fee who has been routinely punished for non-injuries, and even then he usually has a bigger "in the moment" impact

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I find the Verhaeghe situation absurd when people including largely Leaf fans say nonsense like "of course we traded him away lol".

Where is critical thinking? The Leafs traded him away 6 years ago and he has belonged to three orgs since then. He has barely played. And he could have been signed by any team as a free agent. But it's the Leafs fault for trading him when he was a middling prospect.

Yeah, if anything Tampa screwed up the most by not even qualifying him. The Leafs were just one of the remaining 29 that didn't sign him.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
McDavid with a cheap shot. Didn't know he had that in him.

I never thought I'd say this but I enjoyed seeing the Habs give the Oilers a well deserved beatdown. That Oilers fan base is just deplorable.

Reactions: Lumberg

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Or even the Islanders who traded him to the Lightning for scraps.

It must feel bad for Tampa to get Marchessault-ed again.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Imagine if Kadri did that.

7-10 game suspension (yes I know he has a history). McDavid probably should get a game for that dirty, reckless play. But I don't think the NHL has the stones to do it. They'll hide under their standard guise that there was no injury on the play and sweep it under the rug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad