Around the League: Hockey Is In the Air...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Glad to see the good uncle go. He just wasn’t the same post injury.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Several of the six teams courting John Tavares also have offers ready for James van Riemsdyk, which has seemingly put van Riemsdyk in a bit of a holding pattern with the Free Agent Frenzy just 48 hours away.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are not one of those teams. There has been limited contact between the Leafs and van Riemsdyk’s camp, which all but signals the end of the JvR era in Toronto.

More than 12 teams have engaged with van Riemsdyk since the free agent interview period opened on Sunday. Interestingly, the list grew over the course of this week, including after Rick Nash notified teams he would not be participating in the July 1 sweepstakes.

Upwards of eight teams remained in the mix as of Friday afternoon.

Van Riemsdyk, 29, is the clear cut No. 2 free agent on the board this summer – the premier scoring winger available coming off a 36-goal season. He has averaged 31 goals over his last four full seasons.

For Van Riemsdyk, like Tavares, it is not solely about dollars. Van Riemsdyk is also focused on overall fit in the lineup, intended deployment, potential to win, facilities and training and recovery methods.

Van Riemsdyk is quietly and carefully considering his options, deliberately out of the spotlight as he works through the process. Once the Tavares domino falls, he could quickly find clarity on his situation.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not surprised about JVR, it came out near the end of the season the Meafs hadn’t approached him or Bozak yet about a new contract, and that alone was pretty telling of their intentions. If a team can get him inked for around 6x6 they’ll get good value from him. But scarcity may drive up that price.

Wish Uncle Leo the best, but he’s not the kind of player you lock up for multiple years given his age and recent play.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Thinking back about Grabovski and how mad he was about getting bought out by the Leafs - It's unfortunate but probably the best thing to happen to him with his shortened career. Made himself some good cash.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I know what you mean but I think his health comes first. If its concussion then damn it'll be trouble for him to deal with it later on than now.

oh for sure. that's what i mean that's good for him -and good for him for being honest.
like i think a lot of ppl would sign the contract then go... ehhh

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I wouldn't put much stock in that fourth period report on Leo. It's the fourth period after all.

Also, JVR gonna get paiddddddd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad