GDT: Around the League - Episode IX - Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good. Should be harder for the pens to pick up right where they left off if the break is over a week. They were amazing last 2 games vs Ottawa. They do not always play like that.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Nope.

2009 Carolina says hello.

I was thinking this yesterday during that game. The 2008-09 Bruins tore the league to shreds that year, couldn't lose, same as the Hawks. R1 was basically public skating vs the tabs, just like Minny for the Hawks. Bruins won G1 in R2 and everyone wondered if the Canes would even win a game. Eerily similar. The only difference is that the Hawks have been there before and knows what it takes, but so have the Wings.

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
It would have been in 2011, but Joe isn't a bad guy or anything. If the Bs don't win I'd like to see him win.

Before 2011 this was not true.

Also, I am more impressed with these two teams than I am with Pittsburgh so far in the playoffs.

You know? To see Joe Thornton win the Cup playing against the Bruins would put a lot of angst to rest, IMO. Bruins won their cup without Joe, but Joe has to want to get his cup and if the story was that he had to overcome the Bruins to get there...its a damned good story.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Well if the Bruins and Sharks make it to the final I am rooting for the Bruins but I would really like to see the sharks win it if the bruins don't.

One thing is certain-if the pens beat the bruins in the ECF then I am rooting for the WC team.

icyblue

Sep 21, 2005
Well if the Bruins and Sharks make it to the final I am rooting for the Bruins but I would really like to see the sharks win it if the bruins don't.

One thing is certain-if the pens beat the bruins in the ECF then I am rooting for the WC team.

Yup, there's no way I will root for the Pens. No way.

I'm glad the Sharks-Kings series is going 7 games. Hopefully the Wings-Hawks will too.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Bruins haven't played a team like the Pens either with that offense, experience, and depth.
Wait, they played the Pens wannabes, the Leafs, and almost lost, giving up plenty of goals and letting the Leafs legs push the pace.

Offense: Pens>>>Bruins
Defense: Bruins>.5 Pens
Goaltending: Near wash. Tukka isn't Thomas, he's looked shaky and beatable and the Rangers haven't challenged him as the leafs did.
Character/Toughness: Slight edge to the Pens who can roll five lines and go fast (Bennet/Despres) or big/grit (Vitale/Morrow/Glass/Engelland).
What a load this is....

Offense: Pens over Bruins. They have the "high end" talent advantage and the game breakers. The Bruins have the advantage down low, in the dirty areas and in the dot. It's not nearly as a pronounced advantage as people think.

Defense: Bruins over Pens. I think the Bruins advantage on the back end is more pronounced than the Pens advantage up front. The Penguins defense is MUCH more prone to the costly turnover and is not nearly as physical as the Bruins.

Goaltending: Bruins over Pens. It is not "close too a wash". Vokoun is nothing but a journeyman who was parachuted in because the "franchise" guy was a headcase sieve. Vokoun will not be stealing games, Rask can and could.

Character and toughness: Bruins over Pens. The Pens grit is in their bottom 6 and their "match up" pair. The Bruins grit and toughness is spread throughout their lineup at every level of skill. This roster has gone too the brink multiple times in the last 3 playoff years and come out the other side every time (with the exception of last season against the Caps). The Penguins have been pushed too the brink a few times and failed each time since their Cup win.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Game 7s are awesome-except when its hour team-then it is heart attack inducing. Still count the game 7 as one of the best games I have ever watched. When I watched it on a NESN replay a while back it wasn't nearly as stressful when you knew the outcome-but that was an intense game.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
New York Rangers ‏@NYRangers 1m
"I got to start over" - @BRichards_1991 #NYR

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Learned this morning that Spezza came back and was playing with a torn meniscus in his knee and will have surgery to repair it now. Ottawa's top scorers are Spezza, Karlsson and Michalek, and all were recent injury returns and nowhere near the top of their game.

Not saying Ottawa would have beaten the Penguins in any circumstance, but facing the Bruins will be a much different matter, particulary for Vokun. I predict that Fleury will be back in the nets before the series is over.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
I'm hoping a long layoff for Pittsburgh cools off their goaltending and it shows as much of a weakness as everyone thinks it is

Remember in 2011 when we had 10 days Tampa had 12 everyone said they would rather start on the road becuase if your going to lose becuase of rust, don't let it be a home game. I think Pitt is more prone to rust that the Bruins.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I would rather have Chicago out of the picture, honestly.

100% agree rather have one day less of rest and home ice in the Stanley cup finals

Home teams 19-3 in round 2

Home ice matters a lot this year

Its already been said Thursday is the earliest possible start date for the bruins

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I hate rooting for the Hawks, but I want it to go 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia