Around the League 28: Expect the unexpected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Because the cap hits if they stay with the team are also atrocious and at least this way you can protect a forward and Dumba in the expansion draft. Zac was cooked, so a guy on an ELC can replace him. Suter is tougher to replace, but still worth it to keep Dumba.

For the cap hit: absolutely.

But I think he's a middle-6 scoring winger still. If he's willing to take a 2-year deal it could be a good "Williams-y" pick-up for someone.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
For the cap hit: absolutely.

But I think he's a middle-6 scoring winger still. If he's willing to take a 2-year deal it could be a good "Williams-y" pick-up for someone.
As long as it is not us, I don't care. Everybody thinks he is heading to the Isle, so I have no problem with them overpaying him.

Reactions: DaveG

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Going back to the Pierre hire I'm a little worried for Ott.

Pierre always sounds so high on every prospect and their ceiling that he'd want to promote too early and that is usually the opposite of what you want to do.

Just wayyy too excited about the shiny toy and that doesn't seem to have changed.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Suter's point totals were way down this year. I know shorter season but he only paced for 28 points over 82 games after hanging around 50 the past few years. I don't think I watched a single wild game this year so I couldn't speak to how his play looked but that would be a concern

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Because the cap hits if they stay with the team are also atrocious and at least this way you can protect a forward and Dumba in the expansion draft. Zac was cooked, so a guy on an ELC can replace him. Suter is tougher to replace, but still worth it to keep Dumba.
I don’t know about this.
Year 1: saving 11.33 million
Year 2: 2.33 million
Year 3: 330k
Year 4: 330k

I don’t think you can find 2 ELCs that are under 330k total for years 3 & 4. This upcoming season they can add a couple of good 1 year players but then Suter’s and Parise’s ghosts casts a big shadow after that. Basically requires them to play a ton of ELCs just to make the cap ceiling and keep their guys / get better ones.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don’t know about this.
Year 1: saving 11.33 million
Year 2: 2.33 million
Year 3: 330k
Year 4: 330k

I don’t think you can find 2 ELCs that are under 330k total for years 3 & 4. This upcoming season they can add a couple of good 1 year players but then Suter’s and Parise’s ghosts casts a big shadow after that. Basically requires them to play a ton of ELCs just to make the cap ceiling and keep their guys / get better ones.
Yes, years three and four are the squeeze. But kicking the can down the road with the hopes of the cap starting to rise is probably good business right now when you also have the ED to deal with. I'm sure they will have other contracts that come off the books in those years that they can then move money enough to still replace with ELCs at that point. Perfect solution? Definitely not. But I think still better than just standing pat.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yes, years three and four are the squeeze. But kicking the can down the road with the hopes of the cap starting to rise is probably good business right now when you also have the ED to deal with. I'm sure they will have other contracts that come off the books in those years that they can then move money enough to still replace with ELCs at that point. Perfect solution? Definitely not. But I think still better than just standing pat.

Also - the most important player to the franchise in the last 10 years is up for a contract this offseason and there have been murmurs he's willing to go back to Russia.

You can move other contracts out in years 3 and 4 to stay compliant. Right now they need to sign Kaprizov or risk losing all the fun and excitement that grew around the team this year.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Those were 13 years....

Yeah, I think San Jose is the more apt "worst case" scenario.

But we don't have the bloat with other veteran long term contracts to make it catastrophic. Burns on his own isn't the issue. Karlsson on his own isn't the issue. Kane on his own isn't the issue. Vlasic. Couture. Jones. Etc.

We can afford one bloated contract for the purpose of not losing a top 10 NHL defenseman. We don't have any others. Even the Staal one is aging pretty gracefully.

(In looking on CapFriendly for this post, holy moly are the Sharks in a bad spot. Couture, Karlsson, and Vlasic are all signed longer than any single player on the Canes. Burns and Kane would be tied with Slavin for the longest remaining term on the Canes.)

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Ah yes, the 2012 offseason, the Jordan Staal saga which almost caused full blown armed conflict between this board and the Pens board, where PK and JR thought that they could realistically get Parise and/or Suter without giving out any type of signing bonus, turning to 'plan B' which was trying to trade for Rick Nash despite a 0% chance of him waiving to come here, re-signing Joe f***ing Corvo for the 64th time and finally end up getting Alex Semin.

Great times.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Ah yes, the 2012 offseason, the Jordan Staal saga which almost caused full blown armed conflict between this board and the Pens board, where PK and JR thought that they could realistically get Parise and/or Suter without giving out any type of signing bonus, turning to 'plan B' which was trying to trade for Rick Nash despite a 0% chance of him waiving to come here, re-signing Joe f***ing Corvo for the 64th time and finally end up getting Alex Semin.

Great times.

ty for the nightmare fuel.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com

Great times.
i still think we should have signed andrei kostitsyn despite his "character issues."

would have saved us from having to watch drayson bowman play top nine minutes the entire f***ing season.

the bottom six seriously had like 20 goals combined the entire season. just a disaster.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Opening Night 2013 lines via the PBP (Link):

Boychuk - E. Staal - Semin
Skinner - J. Staal - Dalpe
Tlusty - Jokinen - LaRose
Bowman - Brent - Dwyer

Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - Corvo
Harrison - McBain

Ward

5th overall pick well deserved in hindsight.
Best part is we were leading the division a bit over halfway through that schedule.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Opening Night 2013 lines via the PBP (Link):

Boychuk - E. Staal - Semin
Skinner - J. Staal - Dalpe
Tlusty - Jokinen - LaRose
Bowman - Brent - Dwyer

Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - Corvo
Harrison - McBain

Ward

5th overall pick well deserved in hindsight.
pretty sure it was sanguinetti instead of mcbain because mcbain showed up to training camp out of shape (again).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
On Sirius..they were saying that MN didn't want either guy or their attitudes in the locker room anymore...certainly an awfully expensive disinfectant of sorts.

Interesting. If true (and not sure it is), I wonder if it was an "old boys club" sort of thing. It was surprising when they moved Staal with no legit centers last year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad