Around the League 27: Why u do dis Dolan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So today is the last day teams can ask players to waive their NMC for the expansion draft, right? Not that it affects the Canes, but will be interesting to see what other players as asked to waive (if that info leaks out). I read that Lucic already agreed to waive his.
Yes. Next deadline coming up on June 16 for the NMC players agree to waive, and the teams to put players on waivers before the Trade/Waivers Freeze. All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread III - the thread where everyone signs somewhere else

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So that deal for Keith must be EDM's 2022 3rd round pick. In this coming draft, they have:
1st
2nd - traded to Detroit in Anathsiou deal
3rd - traded to Calgary in the Neal/Lucic deal
4th
5th - traded to Ottawa (then Anaheim) for Ennis
6th
6th - from Pittsburgh for Marino
7th

Duncan Keith Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

2022 conditional 3rd round pick* (EDM)

*Conditions: If the Oilers make it to the 2022 Stanley Cup Finals and Keith is top 4 in playoffs TOI during the first 3 rounds, the pick upgrades to a 2022 2nd round

So they went and encumbered their 2022 2nd and 3rd picks, and thusly can't use either in further trades (at least without some further conditions agreeable to the potential future trading partner that cater for the eventualities where they won't have the pick in question) or as offer sheet compensation (no workarounds).

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Duncan Keith Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

2022 conditional 3rd round pick* (EDM)

*Conditions: If the Oilers make it to the 2022 Stanley Cup Finals and Keith is top 4 in playoffs TOI during the first 3 rounds, the pick upgrades to a 2022 2nd round

So they went and encumbered their 2022 2nd and 3rd picks, and thusly can't use either in further trades (at least without some further conditions agreeable to the potential future trading partner that cater for the eventualities where they won't have the pick in question) or as offer sheet compensation.

Time to make a deal with Edm. Since their 2nd and 3rds are gone, we'll have to get one of their 1st rounders!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
OH HELL YEAH

timgleson
I love Tim, but playing and coaching are different things, and we still need to do our due diligence and interview a decent range of people. But I have faith in the Borg to know if it's the right fit- and somebody with commitment to the Canes, not just somebody interested in a coaching job, would definitely be a plus, as it's been with Brind'Amour.

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Yeah that logic made sense to me... until after the 3rd kid, when I realized parenthood operates on an exponential curve, not a linear curve. Two kids are twice as hard as one. Three kids are twice as hard as two. Four kids...

(fortunately it breaks down when you hit 7, and start running the house like a business where the oldest kid is middle management)

My toddler is already super bossy so she's all set for middle management.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Foegele to the Oil for their 1st this year....

He'd actually be a sneaky good addition for them.

It is interesting. Maybe the best 3 fits in the league for Foegele would be Edmonton, Toronto (to replace Hyman), or Tampa (to replace Coleman/Goodrow). With each team hoping they get more out of him than Carolina did.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It is interesting. Maybe the best 3 fits in the league for Foegele would be Edmonton, Toronto (to replace Hyman), or Tampa (to replace Coleman/Goodrow). With each team hoping they get more out of him than Carolina did.

Playoff wise, I get it, but what more could have Carolina gotten out of him given his role? He scored more ES/PK goals (non-EN) than anyone but Aho.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Playoff wise, I get it, but what more could have Carolina gotten out of him given his role? He scored more ES/PK goals (non-EN) than anyone but Aho.
I think you answered your own question there. Give him a bigger role...which it seems is what he's asking for. Not sure about Tampa, but in Toronto or Edmonton there seems to be a top-six opening for a guy like him that could maybe play very well with their star players. Like how Hyman made a name for himself.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Could be a good hire. Pierre was a disaster 30 years ago in Hartford, but he's clearly knowledgeable.

I'm not sure what the VP of player development's full role is though, but I've learned that HF is frequently wrong about various hires in the NHL. Remember how badly HF panned the hiring of Waddell and Brind'Amour 3 years ago? And how they loved the hiring of Fenton?

Hopefully he learned a lot and grew over those 30 yrs to help him do a better job in his role this time.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think you answered your own question there. Give him a bigger role...which it seems is what he's asking for. Not sure about Tampa, but in Toronto or Edmonton there seems to be a top-six opening for a guy like him that could maybe play very well with their star players. Like how Hyman made a name for himself.

That's true. I just read A3K's post as "get more out of him" in the sense that Foegele didn't produce enough given the role he played,...not that the Canes didn't give him a good enough role where he could have produced more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad