Around the League '23-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
If it's reasonably cheap and convenient/easy enough, I have no problem paying.

Unfortunately the NHL is not great about either.

ESPN+ has been great, honestly, but I say that as an out-of-market fan. When I inevitably move back to Texas, I have no idea yet how I plan to watch.
I tried a VPN for awhile but sometimes it just wouldn't damn work. It would be set right like always but half the time the app would still know where I was. So there went the ease of use part. So last season I just gave up on most of the regular season.

Reactions: LT

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
If it's reasonably cheap and convenient/easy enough, I have no problem paying.

Unfortunately the NHL is not great about either.

ESPN+ has been great, honestly, but I say that as an out-of-market fan. When I inevitably move back to Texas, I have no idea yet how I plan to watch.
Espn+ is great when the games are actually on it. It's frustrating trying to find streams when they aren't.

Reactions: LT

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Riley Barber is tearing it up in Kazahkstan. 16 points in 10 games to lead the KHL. What a legend.
1695846425406.gif

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I tried a VPN for awhile but sometimes it just wouldn't damn work. It would be set right like always but half the time the app would still know where I was. So there went the ease of use part. So last season I just gave up on most of the regular season.

It's always tricky to use VPNs to get around streaming services. It's basically an arms race between any streaming service (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, ESPN+, etc.) and your VPN.

The VPN buys server bandwidth in all these countries, they all have an identifier, just like you would normally if you were browsing anything on the internet. I'm assuming the amount of traffic that comes through on these servers is abnormally high, so ESPN+ flags it as a VPN server and it no longer works.

This is going to always be a losing battle for VPNs, because banning things is free for the gigantic corporations, but VPNs are going to have to keep switching around servers so they can keep going around these companies. There are lots of great uses for VPNs, but it's always unreliable to use them for this sort of thing in the long-term. Eventually the service tends to catch up.

I f***ing miss hockeystreams.com, RIP.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
If we can't watch it, then we find something else to watch.

I bet curling doesn't have nearly as greedy of media groups.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Bally sports is a ticking clock. Just wait it out.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Cuban and Gaglardi team up for their own streaming service

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Bally sports is a ticking clock. Just wait it out.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Cuban and Gaglardi team up for their own streaming service
i'm so sick of having 8 different streaming services. bring back cable or put everything on directtv so i can jump between channels instead of exiting an app to go to another. hell, a lot of the streaming services don't even have remotes with numbers, so you have to deal with dogshit UIs to change the channel/content.

streaming was a nice thing at first to put pressure on cable companies to provide better/cheaper service, but now we're paying even more for less, and less quality.

Reactions: redbeardtx

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Hockeystreams was beast.. then dead

NHL_Games and the other app I forget the name was beast.. then dead

NHL66 was beast.. then restricted/semi-dead/constant problems

Nothing good lasts.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
i'm so sick of having 8 different streaming services. bring back cable or put everything on directtv so i can jump between channels instead of exiting an app to go to another. hell, a lot of the streaming services don't even have remotes with numbers, so you have to deal with dogshit UIs to change the channel/content.

streaming was a nice thing at first to put pressure on cable companies to provide better/cheaper service, but now we're paying even more for less, and less quality.
Using those little baby remotes with the 4 arrow keys to type out your full email address and password is such a pain in the ass

Reactions: TrillMike

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Hurts to say this because I like him as a guy, but Guerin is a fraud of a GM. Glad to have him in the division.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Faksa was like 26 when he started his new deal and will be younger than Foligon is now when it expires after next season. Wild gave a declining Foligno a retirement contract. 33 when its starts and he even has two years of full NMC . What the hell.

Reactions: piqued and LT

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Faksa was like 26 when he started his new deal and will be younger than Foligon is now when it expires after next season. Wild gave a declining Foligno a retirement contract. 33 when its starts and he even has two years of full NMC . What the hell.
Wow, didn't see that till now. Horrible contract the moment it was signed. Foligno is a f***in clown
Screenshot_20230930_020413_Brave~2.jpg

Reactions: piqued
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I still don't understand how any GM hasn't learned that you don't give term to depth players. There's absolutely no need for it because those players are easily replaced in free agency if they end up leaving in a year or two. All that type of contract does is tie up your cap unnecessarily and make it more likely that you'll lose an actually good player in the future.

Reactions: piqued

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I still don't understand how any GM hasn't learned that you don't give term to depth players. There's absolutely no need for it because those players are easily replaced in free agency if they end up leaving in a year or two. All that type of contract does is tie up your cap unnecessarily and make it more likely that you'll lose an actually good player in the future.

Exactly, you can sign any player you want in free agency for 1.5-2M who will do exactly what Foligno does.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Exactly, you can sign any player you want in free agency for 1.5-2M who will do exactly what Foligno does.
ya but do all those players have 700+ games in the show with a father/brother who have also played over 1000 games each? didn`t think so

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Cooley uses elements of the mohawk style like Stranges. Pretty interesting.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Apparently Ben Gleason may actually make the Edmonton Oilers.

I'm constantly shocked by how thin other teams are, even contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad