Around the League '23-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Lowry is about 100x better than Faksa. Faksa is a bum. Having said that, making him Captain is laughable and sends a strong message across the league how weak that team is.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't have a problem with Lowry being named the captain. I've played hockey with him, he's a beauty. He can be vocal, physical, play hard and do what it takes to win

I don't know why it always has to be a star player that's a captain

Because when was the last time a 3rd/4th line Captain won the Cup?

When a third liner is your Captain, it speaks to the quality of your lineup. Trash.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Because when was the last time a 3rd/4th line Captain won the Cup?

When a third liner is your Captain, it speaks to the quality of your lineup. Trash.

There's more to the game then just scoring goals. A guy like Lowry can kill penalties, change the momentum with a big hit, block a big shot, win some key faceoffs etc

All those can contribute to winning games

A Captain to me is the biggest leader on your team. If everyone on the team thinks he's the leader then I don't see the problem

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
i've always hated that business often makes the same mistake.. the person who is best at something often gets promoted into a management role- where they have no skill as a leader.

being good at hockey and being good at leading are completely different skill sets. one can certainly develop into a better leader, but there are definitely some ppl who are more natural in that role.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
As long as a player has a signficant role on the team and is commited to staying long-ish term promoting someone to captain who has the respect of the team is fine. When the Oilers made Andrew Ference captain that who was barely in the lineup every game that was a bad decision .

Was also not a fan of Kraken making Giordano captain in their first season who they then traded to the Leafs halfway through the season . That made very little sense

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Dustin Brown in the house.

Brown was like a 60 point guy when they won their first Cup then turned into a 30 point guy for 5-6 years and randomly turned back into a 60 point guy for a couple of years before completely fell off for good

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
A captain doesn't have to be a star player but also can't be a depth/role player. That speaks to something amiss in the overall franchise. Every team has depth veterans who contribute leadership, doesn't make them a Captain.

And I disagree that fans make too much about it. If that were the case so many captaincys wouldn't sit vacant because teams are afraid to fill them. They'd just name the next best candidate because it's no big deal. But it doesn't work like that.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If Bowness wasn't the coach, I don't think Lowry would've been made captain

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Lowry is probably my favorite tough guy in the league and someone I wanted Dallas to get a few years back. He's a better version of Marcus Foligno while also not being dirty or a pos on the ice. He can float up the line up when needed, plays PK, and will stand up for teammates and fight anyone. I've always heard he's a great locker room guy. Not surprising given who his dad is.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
A captain doesn't have to be a star player but also can't be a depth/role player. That speaks to something amiss in the overall franchise. Every team has depth veterans who contribute leadership, doesn't make them a Captain.

And I disagree that fans make too much about it. If that were the case so many captaincys wouldn't sit vacant because teams are afraid to fill them. They'd just name the next best candidate because it's no big deal. But it doesn't work like that.
Why does it matter so much to you though? Like I said, are you in the room with the guys every day and know who is a good leader?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I really don't know how the Jackets could think mind games playing Babcock would be a good idea to hire as headcoach .

Reactions: Elysian

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Buffalo fan’s are the weirdest clowns lol. Everytime you go to the main board they’re arguing with someone about how great their players are (Dahlin, Thompson, etc.) They get way too sensitive about it. If these players were half has good as they portray them to be, you’d think they would’ve made the playoffs last year.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Shocker. What are all the losers who wasted their time defending Babcock or shitting on Biznasty going to post about now

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Didn't think he'd resign right away but it doomed his tenure before it even started. Starting off with damaged trust of his players was just not going to work for very long. So Jarmo or whoever brought in Babs now has to be on the hotseats too because man that really did not work out at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad