Around the League 22: But how will it work next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
The Skjei inclusion was super try hard to be edgy.
Haven't read the article this year, but if it is like past years the "rankings" are based on a formula—basically cost for wins above replacement. So not really an attempt to be edgy as much as an indication that being somewhat overpaid for 4 years adds up to as much as being grossly overpaid for 1 or 2 years.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I know a lot here don’t use Twitter, but watching Tony DeAngelo’s collapse in real time was a sight to behold. Guy really wasn’t happy with how the election was playing out and he lashed out...emphatically.

I mean, there are hockey players on both sides of the political spectrum that tweeted about the election, but he was definitely the most...passionate...about the President and the state of the country.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I know a lot here don’t use Twitter, but watching Tony DeAngelo’s collapse in real time was a sight to behold. Guy really wasn’t happy with how the election was playing out and he lashed out...emphatically.

I mean, there are hockey players on both sides of the political spectrum that tweeted about the election, but he was definitely the most...passionate...about the President and the state of the country.

As Homer Simpson so eloquently put it, “if you don’t like it, go to Russia”

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Be the change you wish to see in the world
at my very best i can maybe create a hilariously rudimentary photoshop. and it has been years since i did even that. sometimes you just have to speak an idea to the world and hope someone more talented takes it further than you ever could.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

DeAngelo is a d**che and I can't imagine many people even on his side of the political spectrum like him. There's a reason Tampa got rid of him so quickly.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Careful, friends. Here be dragons right now, I suspect.

depositphotos_213805824-stock-photo-knight-fighting-dragon-dragon-man.jpg

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

He gets doubly what Fleury.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

He gets doubly what Fleury.

Makes Fleury look like a steal...higher draft pick, only 7-8 months older, double the NHL experience, only slightly lower PPG in the NHL (but their pace this past year was about even)

Reactions: DaveG

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Makes Fleury look like a steal...higher draft pick, only 7-8 months older, double the NHL experience, only slightly lower PPG in the NHL (but their pace this past year was about even)
I think Fleury can be a 2nd pairing D-man next season.

However, the truth is Gavrikov was one this season. The $ difference was likely due to 19 minutes per game as opposed to slightly less than 14.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
When seeing the deal that Strome got, I was quite surprised the reaction on the main board was so positive about it. Every time I've seen that guy play, I've come away less than impressed and his success, to me, seems to be completely a product of playing with Panarin. Even so, at 5v5 while playing almost exclusively with Panarin, Strome scores goals at a lower rate than Foegele (.63 G/60 vs .72 G/60) and barely scores points at a higher rate than Foegele (2.09 P/60 vs. 1.94 P/60). This is with Strome playing in an offensive role with more favorable starts vs. Foegele playing in a defensive role (mainly with Jordan Staal).

Foegele has more hits, more takeaways, less giveaways, takes less penalties, draws more penalties, has better possession numbers etc..

Other than better GF/60 and scoring on the PP on a team that had a pretty good PP (mainly because of playing with Panarin, Kreider, Zib and Fox/ADA), I'm not sure what that guy brings to deserve that much money. I realize that teams/agents focus on total point though, which is why he probably got it, that seems a bit excessive to me for a guy that rode Panarin's coat tails.

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
I forget which writer does the pieces, but on the Athletic each year they have a 10 Best and 10 Worst contracts based on value to performance. TT was an honorable mention in the article this week for the 10 Best.

Skjei was the same for 10 Worst.

From The Athletics latest article:
upload_2020-11-9_10-13-44.png
+
TT has an A+ contract rating. I think we will see Skjei's contract grade improve now that he is away from NYR.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
View attachment 375820+
TT has an A+ contract rating. I think we will see Skjei's contract grade improve now that he is away from NYR.
we were tops last season because of expected production. A ton of guys had down years and their contract ratings took a hit (Gradiner, Dzingel, McGinn, Martinook, Trocheck). We all know that Pesce's contract is an A+. Pesce struggled with another new partner in Edmundson, was injured, and isnt given scoring opportunities to increase his value.

A good / decent season from any combo / all of them changes our contract and season outlook.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
View attachment 375820+

Listing Skjei's contract value with NYR is pretty close to meaningless in context of Skjei with the Canes.

Skjei played the vast majority of his minutes last year with Jacob Trouba who was listed as Dom's #7 worst contract in the NHL. Trouba was a dumpster fire last year. Every single one of Skjei's metrics was better without Trouba.

Skjei w/ TroubaSkjei w/o Trouba
CF%44.9%50.3%
GF%39.7%51.3%
xGF%46.6%48.4%
HDGF%37.5%53.9%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I think all Dom's data shows is that Skjei didn't put up very good numbers with Trouba on NYR's top pair. NYR in itself being one of the worst defensive teams in the entire NHL last year, both the forwards and D. This situation would be like putting Skjei next to Hamilton and having that pair play against the other team's top lines every game. Skjei's role is completely changed next to Pesce on the Canes 2nd pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad