Around the League 22: But how will it work next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I’ve never thought TT’s was a steal.
I'd say it was a steal even at the time of signing. He was coming off of his first season of real first line production and in the midst of another season with even better production. If they had waited til that offseason he could have commanded a lot more, close to 6.5 or 7 per. He also doesn't get injured *knock on wood*

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'd say it was a steal even at the time of signing. He was coming off of his first season of real first line production and in the midst of another season with even better production. If they had waited til that offseason he could have commanded a lot more, close to 6.5 or 7 per. He also doesn't get injured *knock on wood*
You son of a...

why.... why would you say that!

Reactions: CandyCanes

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
And you've always been wrong. We all are sometimes.
I think we were the only team that would've given him that contract at that point. We were the only team that would've given him the role we gave him with the linemate he has. He could've fought for more but it would've been detrimental for his career imo. He was no guarantee to be a first liner elsewhere (I wouldn't assume he would be now across the league). He's done a great job taking advantage of the role we have given him. He knew he had a good thing. We love our guys more than other people do, normal reaction. His contract was indicative of where he was at. I dont know if he was a UFA he'd make significantly more. He's a 6m player to me right now. I think we over rate his defensive play, he has to play a perimeter game, he has been middling in the playoffs - there's a lot more to these contracts than points. I think he would be in a similar boat as Hoffman right now. He can get you points but you don't know that you're going to win with him. He's a good complimentary player. Nothing about him strikes me as a steal. We get what we're paying for. It's just a good contract.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think we were the only team that would've given him that contract at that point. We were the only team that would've given him the role we gave him with the linemate he has. He could've fought for more but it would've been detrimental for his career imo. He was no guarantee to be a first liner elsewhere (I wouldn't assume he would be now across the league). He's done a great job taking advantage of the role we have given him. He knew he had a good thing. We love our guys more than other people do, normal reaction. His contract was indicative of where he was at. I dont know if he was a UFA he'd make significantly more. He's a 6m player to me right now. I think we over rate his defensive play, he has to play a perimeter game, he has been middling in the playoffs - there's a lot more to these contracts than points. I think he would be in a similar boat as Hoffman right now. He can get you points but you don't know that you're going to win with him. He's a good complimentary player. Nothing about him strikes me as a steal. We get what we're paying for. It's just a good contract.

He’s the 148th highest paid player in the league currently. Since signing his contract he is 27th in scoring and 4th in +/-.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think you're insanely wrong, but it's all good to have different opinions.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I went from going
tenor.gif

to
tenor.gif

to
tenor.gif

over the course of your post. I guess that I ultimately agree that Teuvo Teräväinen is a steal of a player.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I think Bleed is right in saying TT is a complimentary player. To be fair most all playmaking wingers are complimentary players as they can't carry their team on their own ala Kessel in the past (who was a better goal scorer than TT for sure). At that point it comes to how you evaluate that skillset. I think maybe 8ish years ago someone like TT would be worth 5m but in todays game, minus this crazy covid offseason, I would think it's more like 7.5m.

He's a player I like to watch who makes pretty plays but he is a step behind the Gardreaus, Marners, Kanes, and Rantanens of the world. I can't see him getting much better than he is now...his chemistry with Aho is off the charts so I think Bleed has a point he wouldn't necessarily produce better anywhere else. The only way he has a better season is if we see Aho evolve to a 100+ point player. I'm not sure that can happen unless we get a perfect chemistry fit with those two on the other wing.

They are fair criticisms to say TT plays a perimeter game. He likes to play a quiet and pretty game and doesn't engages physically less than Semin. I don't know that I would say he has any "intangibles" as I'm not around him daily and you don't hear about him being a locker room leader. Either way I think we all like and appreciate TT and know teams need players like him to win.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think Bleed is right in saying TT is a complimentary player. To be fair most all playmaking wingers are complimentary players as they can't carry their team on their own ala Kessel in the past (who was a better goal scorer than TT for sure). At that point it comes to how you evaluate that skillset. I think maybe 8ish years ago someone like TT would be worth 5m but in todays game, minus this crazy covid offseason, I would think it's more like 7.5m.

He's a player I like to watch who makes pretty plays but he is a step behind the Gardreaus, Marners, Kanes, and Rantanens of the world. I can't see him getting much better than he is now...his chemistry with Aho is off the charts so I think Bleed has a point he wouldn't necessarily produce better anywhere else. The only way he has a better season is if we see Aho evolve to a 100+ point player. I'm not sure that can happen unless we get a perfect chemistry fit with those two on the other wing.

They are fair criticisms to say TT plays a perimeter game. He likes to play a quiet and pretty game and doesn't engages physically less than Semin. I don't know that I would say he has any "intangibles" as I'm not around him daily and you don't hear about him being a locker room leader. Either way I think we all like and appreciate TT and know teams need players like him to win.
That’s all in line with where I’m at. I do think we count on the two of them too much. They put up points but have a sneaky way about it, they poke at the edges waiting for a weakness - they don’t/can’t take the puck right at you. That’s why we need a potent second line so badly imo, these two while putting points up don’t always have it against a tight defensive team that plays a little tough. They can’t overpower, they outthink and exploit.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I dont know that it's fair to say teravainen has been middling in the playoffs. He's put up 15 points and a +12 in 23 playoff games as a cane. Its not point per game plus like aho but pretty solid
He’s our first line RW. Those aren’t very good numbers for that job imo. I haven’t thought much of our first line against Boston either series, especially at 5v5. Even if they squeaked out points they don’t have the presence you’d like to see in a top line.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
He’s our first line RW. Those aren’t very good numbers for that job imo. I haven’t thought much of our first line against Boston either series, especially at 5v5. Even if they squeaked out points they don’t have the presence you’d like to see in a top line.
That's a good point and I don't disagree. Looking at his stats in a vacuum tells a different story than being much less effective against a team like Boston, but I mean that could be said of pretty much everyone on the team. I can see merit in the idea of getting a wrecking ball for TT and Aho to dig in corners and crash the net who doesn't necessarily have to have great puck skills and let svechnikov do his thing on line 2, but I dont know who that player might be

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
That's a good point and I don't disagree. Looking at his stats in a vacuum tells a different story than being much less effective against a team like Boston, but not I mean that could be said of pretty much everyone on the team. I can see merit in the idea of getting a wrecking ball for TT and Aho to dig in corners and crash the net who doesn't necessarily have to have great puck skills and let svechnikov do his thing on line 2, but I dont know who that player might be

Didn’t we just sign him to a one year contract extension?

Reactions: AD Skinner

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Must be off-season. Before TT, the last time Carolina had a 70 point winger was Ray Whitney in 08/09, so none in 10 years. The only 60 point wingers were Skinner twice and Jussi once and Aho once.
Patel Datsyuk struggled in the playoffs for a number of years, having only 3G, 12p in his first 42 playoff games. Thing like that happen in small samples.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Playoff struggles are usually pretty overrated in the majority of cases I think. And Teuvo hasn't struggled necessarily, just hasn't produced the same as his regular season. At the end of the day, he's a very highly productive winger, he's good defensively to most, and he does have some flaws in his style of play (not a sole play driver, perimeter play) that are far outweighed by the positives mentioned. The absolute worst case is it's a good, fair contract. I think a poll at large would at least view him as slightly underpaid with a fair number of people viewing it as a steal.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Must be off-season. Before TT, the last time Carolina had a 70 point winger was Ray Whitney in 08/09, so none in 10 years. The only 60 point wingers were Skinner twice and Jussi once and Aho once.
Patel Datsyuk struggled in the playoffs for a number of years, having only 3G, 12p in his first 42 playoff games. Thing like that happen in small samples.

I want to meet his parents.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Playoff struggles are usually pretty overrated in the majority of cases I think. And Teuvo hasn't struggled necessarily, just hasn't produced the same as his regular season. At the end of the day, he's a very highly productive winger, he's good defensively to most, and he does have some flaws in his style of play (not a sole play driver, perimeter play) that are far outweighed by the positives mentioned. The absolute worst case is it's a good, fair contract. I think a poll at large would at least view him as slightly underpaid with a fair number of people viewing it as a steal.

I forget which writer does the pieces, but on the Athletic each year they have a 10 Best and 10 Worst contracts based on value to performance. TT was an honorable mention in the article this week for the 10 Best.

Skjei was the same for 10 Worst.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I forget which writer does the pieces, but on the Athletic each year they have a 10 Best and 10 Worst contracts based on value to performance. TT was an honorable mention in the article this week for the 10 Best.

Skjei was the same for 10 Worst.

The Skjei inclusion was super try hard to be edgy. Not even counting bad deals that have two years or less on them (M. Staal, Eriksson, etc)

Lucic, Ladd, Skinner, Bobrovsky, Turris, Ryan, Neal, Abdelkader, Okposo, Seabrook, Trouba, Myers, Johansen, Faulk, Vlasic

Skjei might be a bit overpaid and inconsistent but he’s not close to worst 10 contracts, and I realize some of those contracts have now been bought out but the point stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad