Around the League 22: But how will it work next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
After years of Panthers fans getting reamed by incompetence, I'm happy to see them on the winning end of a deal, for once. Also, in normal circumstances I wouldn't see getting Matheson as a bad reclamation project for Pittsburgh. The issue is that albatross contract AND Jack Johnson's are on the books for 3 more years! Sure, Matheson's only 26 and could well improve under a better-suited defensive system. It's just that player under that contract that's ridiculously risky.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Schultz was a laughingstock and he became a serviceable defender at one point though he seems to have regressed again. Maybe JRs voodoo will help Matheson in a similar way but hopefully JRs luck has run out in this case.

As for Hornqvist, will he be on the move again? I'm not sure how much sense he makes for this current Panthers team.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Schultz was a laughingstock and he became a serviceable defender at one point though he seems to have regressed again. Maybe JRs voodoo will help Matheson in a similar way but hopefully JRs luck has run out in this case.

As for Hornqvist, will he be on the move again? I'm not sure how much sense he makes for this current Panthers team.

According to analytics, Schultz has been pretty decent defensively for the last few seasons. Jack Johnson is simply so godawful at everything that he's boat-anchored everything that he touches, including Schultz.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Hey, Andreas Athanasiou will be in the HHOF one day.
I know +/- isn't the best stat, but for a player that still seems to get a fair bit of hype he was a -45 last year, the worst on his team. From 30G 54PTS to 11G 26PTS...which is his lowest pace since rookie season I think? What happened to him?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Am I one of the only people that doesnt like the new Petry extension for Montreal? He is already 32, has one more year, and then signed from 33-37 at 6.25 million. He will be a decline around the start of his new deal with a big decline expected around 35.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Am I one of the only people that doesnt like the new Petry extension for Montreal? He is already 32, has one more year, and then signed from 33-37 at 6.25 million. He will be a decline around the start of his new deal with a big decline expected around 35.

As stated above, it's risky given the age but I think he's worth taking a chance on. He's been a steady player for them.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, you certainly don't want to line up too many of those risks at the same time, but you can't just let talented players walk either if you want to stay or get good. It's all about balance. Although, given the big contract for Weber at his age (not to mention Price in goal), who knows, maybe this will prove to be too much risk.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Petry is most likely going to be overpaid on the latter part of that deal and the more I look at the Habs roster, the more I question it. But he's about the only defensive depth they have beyond Weber and would have made a similar amount on the open market. Habs probably had to overpay a little to keep him in Quebec considering they're probably one of the highest tax markets in the NHL. Also, they still have Price and Weber and it'd probably be impossible to get fair value for either of them so they might as well continue trying to compete as long as they can. They've got some decent youth although nothing to get too excited about.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't know about you, but I'm enjoying watching JR turn the Pens from a promising team set up to transition from the Crosby years to contention for the next 10 to an absolute clusterf*** of mediocre players on horrendous contracts.
It’s exactly what they hired him to do. No one on gods green earth would hire a gm to “transition” away from Crosby and Malkin at this point. You know the other side is going to suck no matter what you do. You win as many as you can for as long as you can. He obviously has ownerships full support, it’s what they asked him to do. I’m sure both sides know someone else will be hired to clean it up later. This is what JR is good at. He’s no rebuilder.

How were the pens set up to transition anyways? When were they ever looking promising beyond Crosby?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If it takes a 2nd to dump 1 year of Staal at $5.7M, I shudder to think what it would take to dump 3 yrs of Gardiner at $4.05M. At least Gardiner is still somewhat useful, at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad