Around the League 22: But how will it work next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Which means that the Canes won't do it unless they have a Cirelli trade-and-extension ready.

The only thing I don’t like about Gardiner on the 3rd pair and 2nd pp unit is the cost. If they move out Skjei and let Fleury take the 2nd pair LD spot, I wouldn’t be too gutted.

One of Skjei/Gardiner needs to go for cap balance in my view.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

upload_2020-9-26_17-50-43.jpeg

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Wuuuuut?!?!
Gardiner actively lost this team games defensively, especially early in the season, and contributed nothing of value on the offensive side of the puck, which was supposed to be his great asset. But he got burned for breakaways constantly when trying to make offensive plays. He played better at the end of the season, but "better" is a relative term, and he did it in extremely sheltered ice time. He did not play well. Marc Staal is slow and useless these days, but he doesn't try to do to make aggressive plays like Gardiner does, so his mistakes don't lead to big breakaways on a nightly basis.

Gardiner makes the team worse every time he steps on the ice. Marc Staal is a passable 6D.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Gardiner actively lost this team games defensively, especially early in the season, and contributed nothing of value on the offensive side of the puck, which was supposed to be his great asset. But he got burned for breakaways constantly when trying to make offensive plays. He played better at the end of the season, but "better" is a relative term, and he did it in extremely sheltered ice time. He did not play well. Marc Staal is slow and useless these days, but he doesn't try to do to make aggressive plays like Gardiner does, so his mistakes don't lead to big breakaways on a nightly basis.

Gardiner makes the team worse every time he steps on the ice. Marc Staal is a passable 6D.
Most of this is hyperbole. Gardiner does and will provide more than Staal. I don’t even like Gardiner but he isn’t that bad. His passing was pretty good the 2nd half. Unfortunately for him he wasnt playing with scorers on the ice. Plenty of nothing burgers from McGinn, Foegele, etc receiving his 60 foot pass.

As much as we wanted to run Dougie out from his first half here, Im willing to give Gardiner another shot. Staal isn’t a serviceable 6D either.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Renaud Lavoie said last night that Gaudreau is on his way out from the Flames. Given Dundon's comments about size/scoring and the previous big trade between the two teams I wonder if Calgary and Carolina are talking.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Marc Staal > Gardiner may be one of the better hot taeks recently. Gards was bad at times early on but he's also shown he has some usefulness and can contribute to the offensive side of the game too...Staal is a pylon. If he's close enough he can defend decent, but he contributes almost nothing offensively...he's an older, slower version of this year's TVR?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Has to be lip service. Staal has struggled mightily since that horrific eye injury. Yzerman would have been better off saying he’ll improve the culture of the team, help the younger players, etc.

Reactions: DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Penguins fans now think the difference between an RFA swap involving Murray is taking on JJ (with a whole $750k retained!!) :dunce::dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad