GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 II: Whacked NHL Scheduling is Whacked | Mod Warning Post #1964

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Decided to lurk the Canucks board out of pure boredom. Holey Moses. You'd think they acquired a prime Sidney Crosby. Why even play the remaining games just hand them the Cup right now.
I guess it's understandable in a way. Here we've been blessed with 5 SC's, 2 generational players, and a dedicated fan base that sticks with the team thru good times and bad. In VanCity they've had a franchise for over FIFTY years and haven't won the SC even once, have never had a generational player, have a fanbase that jumps ship at the first sign of adversity, and destroys their own city for shits and giggles on the blue moon occasion that they do have a decent team. So I get that they have no reference point for what success is, and will take whatever scraps of it come their way, as they know from experience that the end result will just be bitter heartbreak anyhow.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I guess it's understandable in a way. Here we've been blessed with 5 SC's, 2 generational players, and a dedicated fan base that sticks with the team thru good times and bad. In VanCity they've had a franchise for over FIFTY years and haven't won the SC even once, have never had a generational player, have a fanbase that jumps ship at the first sign of adversity, and destroys their own city for shits and giggles on the blue moon occasion that they do have a decent team. So I get that they have no reference point for what success is, and will take whatever scraps of it come their way, as they know from experience that the end result will just be bitter heartbreak anyhow.

Hey now, to be fair, the last time their team made the Finals (out of two whole times in 50 years wowow), they were the favourites and choked two series' leads to the underdogs. It's not easy!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
that Flames team was way better
Maybe, but there was a lot of parallels. A one line team that was getting unsustainable career years from their bottom 9, and similarly they added a deadline top 6 forward in Toffoli who is similar calibre to Lindholm and was supposed to put them over the top come playoff time. Also both teams were non-playoff teams the year prior and shot up to the top of the standings with a new coach.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Maybe, but there was a lot of parallels. A one line team that was getting unsustainable career years from their bottom 9, and similarly they added a deadline top 6 forward in Toffoli who is similar calibre to Lindholm and was supposed to put them over the top come playoff time. Also both teams were non-playoff teams the year prior and shot up to the top of the standings with a new coach.

I could be remembering wrong but I seem to recall that Flames team relying a lot less on unsustainable numbers to get to where they were (not that that mattered in the playoffs lol)

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012

We're honestly not that far off though if I'm reading this graph the right way... 89 projected opponent points for Edmonton vs. 88 projected opponent points for Vancouver in the "games played to date" column.

Can someone explain what I'm missing here?

Reactions: McDoused

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
We're honestly not that far off though if I'm reading this graph the right way... 89 projected opponent points for Edmonton vs. 88 projected opponent points for Vancouver in the "games played to date" column.

Can someone explain what I'm missing here?
We aren't too far off. Our shit start really hurt, especially losing to Vancouver three times. Would be much easier to pass them right now.

Vancouver has a harder schedule opponents wise to finish the year

We almost gifted Vancouver the division title (about the only thing they brag about these days)

Those boys better enjoy that all star game and playing together. Cinderella years where you arw mid in most analytics don't happen often

Dat shooting %

I have to calculate how many guys are on career highs

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Well Koala got fired. That sucks for us. Pretty convinced that McLellan was holding that team back.

But I think Blake loves the 1-3-1 and they promoted the assistant. So coach bump might not be much.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006

Todd.gif

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
PWHL is nasty. I gotta mention this. But for a new league with no established rivalries and teams that were just invented last year there sure is a lot of bad blood in the sport and all the matches. its not hard to find articles like this or games like this. The first view one gets in PWHL is how dirty it is. how chippy it is, how aggressive the players are to one another. Hits are common and dirty. Seems like womens players would rather belt the opponent than take the puck. Perhaps its not whats expected but the game features a lot of malicious hits. It jumps out at you.

Now sociologically the reason I'm writing this is the mythos that males are toxic and horseshit claims that aggression resides fairly exclusively with males. Its of course nonsense and it is interesting that when female exclusive team sport leagues are featured the first likelihood is that the players take it to the gutter and if anything being as aggressive, and if these females had the physical power of males to enact mayhem one wonders how vicious it would be.

I'm reminded of womens soccer and seeing players trampling over each other, intentionally kicking each other with cleats, pulling hair. Its kind of funny. But it also completely removes false illusion that aggression exists primarily within the male of a species. Ethnologically this was always nonsense. Now its being unmasked. These female athletes can play the actual sport or take it to the gutter. Its interesting how often the games are going to the gutter. Its interesting how immense the animosity is in these games after only a few matches. Its kind of poor form too that this kind of article is marketing this kind of bad will.

The other take I have is that PWHL is intentionally being overtly physical. Telling teams, players to make hits. Seems over the top in this regard, and as if they are tying to counter some such concept that it wouldn't be physical. The first thing you see in PWHL is the hitting. its kind of odd.

Easy to find articles like this from teams that wanted to build out the hitting physical style.

"We wanted to make sure we had players who want to compete, who are courageous, and who are willing to get into the dirty areas and play a physical style."

Even stated as per article that the PWHL wanted to put a trademark product out that the fans (of male hockey) would be familiar with. Well they've done that but I'm not sure its the best sell. To me when I watch a PWHL game I don't see sportsmanship of any kind, I don't see good modeling. I see mayhem and a version of hockey that contains all the ugly (attempts to injure) but while being much more clumsy and awkward than watching the male games. In the PWHL its easy to spot the skilled players from those just along for the ride. The game can't sell itself on skill and so it doesn't.

One wonders if it follows similar path to Womens Football. Where for a decade or two support was huge and then people just started focusing on the level of play being awful and that top womens teams, even Womens world cup winning teams can't beat even Boys teams in games. The latter is always the demise of womens team sports. When it gets unmasked for how bad the quality and level of play is.
I don't need to see women's sports to know how nasty they can be when riled up. You clearly haven't met my wife.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Lindolm and Monaghan help their teams but both were ridiculous over pays. Neither are worry near what was given up. If they don’t win the cup will be a mistake

Reactions: Sanchez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad