GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 II: Whacked NHL Scheduling is Whacked | Mod Warning Post #1964

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Decent McDavid interview: Connor McDavid on Oilers' win streak, NHL rule changes, his marriage plans

Notable is his common sense versus a league that wants to market itself as a circus sideshow with surfboard target practice and other dumbness.

The NHL All-Star Weekend is here and you're a big part of it. How much did you enjoy helping to revamp the skills competition, especially knowing that the event is in Toronto near where you grew up?

McDavid:
Well, I think after last year everyone maybe knew there needed to be a change. I thought it just got a little bit out of hand on some of the gimmicky things. We were missing the essence of what an All-Star Game is, and that's to showcase the talent of the athletes, the hockey players and the skills that we have, because they are unique.

So I'm excited that you're going see some more ... I'll say "normal" events, which is something that I think players are excited about. Having 12 of the best players in the world go at it for [the] crown is exciting. It's a unique opportunity and something that I hope the fans enjoy.

Star NHL players don't want to be paraded around like circus animals and used as props in bizarre events because "oh well the kids love it!" Who'd have thunk?

I'm looking forward to seeing what the skills will be like this year. Seemed like it needed to hit rock bottom (last year) for someone to realize how badly the NHL's obsession with trying to manufacture "YouTube moments" made them look to pretty much everyone that isn't 4 years old.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
If Vancouver keeps Petey-Miller-Boeser together... how will Lindholm do on the second line? His history shows that he can't carry his own line and needs high end players to produce. I'm guessing Van will have to break up that first line.

Funny seeing our two main rivals in Canada trying to help each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
T
If Vancouver keeps Petey-Miller-Boeser together... how will Lindholm do on the second line? His history shows that he can't carry his own line and needs high end players to produce. I'm guessing Van will have to break up that first line.
They will mix it up. Even that Miller line looked like shit for a few games in a row. They got the refs helping them out last game

Mikheyev is not a legit top 6. Peterson cannot drive his own line. Lindholm can't.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Like I said, Edmonton is Canada's team. I literally do not even look at Vancouver as a Canadian team.

They were asking Hughes and co about Toronto and the rivalry they have with other Canadian cities like they have never heard of it lol.

Hockey players are competitive, but I don't think a collection of players like this have the same fire to win a cup tbh. Petterson was such a turn off when he told Marek and Elliot he prefers a gold medal over a cup
I've often wondered hos common this thought is among euro players, or some of them. I mean its one thing to be Canadian and dream about starring in the playoffs, winning the cup. If you're playing in sweden your heros are in Sel and playing in world tourneys.

Further considering dreams can be developed intergenerationally kids support the teams, leagues, sports their parents did. Wasn't until the 70's that Euro players became even other than an oddity in the league.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Funny seeing our two main rivals in Canada trying to help each other.
Interdivisional trades like this tend to be rare. Its extra ugly on the part of the Flames because its them blowing it up and not having the foresight to not sell to a division team. So that a team that has already sold out its own fans getting rid of Tkachuk, Gaudreau etc are selling off the last vestige of a former club, to Vancouver of all places. What this communicates is Flames dont' see anybody as a competitor because the Flames are not competitive.

Not that Nucks gained much, they lost imo, but to sell to divisional team? Its like the Flames last act of treason to obscurity.

Try to explain the Flames overall movements to fans. Try to explain why your fans should even buy tickets. I can't.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So the NHL site schedule has a game listed called Team King vs Team Kloss. Named after two individuals on PWHL board, one Billie Jean King? Just saying this because its so damned obscure. NHL is trotting this out but with no promotion of it, hardly any word on it. Actually hard to find info on. I still hardly know what this is.

Lordy, it isn't difficult. Fans want something to cheer for, and cheer against. Make it NA vs Europe, or Canada vs US or something. Not categories that are inane and just named after some people wanting another 15mins of fame. "King vs Kloss" naming it after yourselves should be seen as embarrassing.

I was watching Snet yesterday and this game wasn't even mentioned. lol. The womens promoters complain about lack of promotion and dont' do it. Maybe I have to be on social media to see anything much on this.

Not that I really care much, just saying

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
PWHL is nasty. I gotta mention this. But for a new league with no established rivalries and teams that were just invented last year there sure is a lot of bad blood in the sport and all the matches. its not hard to find articles like this or games like this. The first view one gets in PWHL is how dirty it is. how chippy it is, how aggressive the players are to one another. Hits are common and dirty. Seems like womens players would rather belt the opponent than take the puck. Perhaps its not whats expected but the game features a lot of malicious hits. It jumps out at you.

Now sociologically the reason I'm writing this is the mythos that males are toxic and horseshit claims that aggression resides fairly exclusively with males. Its of course nonsense and it is interesting that when female exclusive team sport leagues are featured the first likelihood is that the players take it to the gutter and if anything being as aggressive, and if these females had the physical power of males to enact mayhem one wonders how vicious it would be.

I'm reminded of womens soccer and seeing players trampling over each other, intentionally kicking each other with cleats, pulling hair. Its kind of funny. But it also completely removes false illusion that aggression exists primarily within the male of a species. Ethnologically this was always nonsense. Now its being unmasked. These female athletes can play the actual sport or take it to the gutter. Its interesting how often the games are going to the gutter. Its interesting how immense the animosity is in these games after only a few matches. Its kind of poor form too that this kind of article is marketing this kind of bad will.

The other take I have is that PWHL is intentionally being overtly physical. Telling teams, players to make hits. Seems over the top in this regard, and as if they are tying to counter some such concept that it wouldn't be physical. The first thing you see in PWHL is the hitting. its kind of odd.

Easy to find articles like this from teams that wanted to build out the hitting physical style.

"We wanted to make sure we had players who want to compete, who are courageous, and who are willing to get into the dirty areas and play a physical style."

Even stated as per article that the PWHL wanted to put a trademark product out that the fans (of male hockey) would be familiar with. Well they've done that but I'm not sure its the best sell. To me when I watch a PWHL game I don't see sportsmanship of any kind, I don't see good modeling. I see mayhem and a version of hockey that contains all the ugly (attempts to injure) but while being much more clumsy and awkward than watching the male games. In the PWHL its easy to spot the skilled players from those just along for the ride. The game can't sell itself on skill and so it doesn't.

One wonders if it follows similar path to Womens Football. Where for a decade or two support was huge and then people just started focusing on the level of play being awful and that top womens teams, even Womens world cup winning teams can't beat even Boys teams in games. The latter is always the demise of womens team sports. When it gets unmasked for how bad the quality and level of play is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I've got quite a few unopened boxes of cards, being saved for future generations, but unfortunately none from that year. ;)

Reactions: Faelko

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Gotta love the laugh reacts on this. Or are we just pretending Vancouver hasn't been pumping us so far this year?
Look at the 3 games In total, we outplayd them and greatly outchanced them. Got goalied lol

If we start shooting like them, % wise, we are going on a 35 game win streak

We would pump them in a series today

Goalies wins series though. Demko will have to Hasek it up and sure, they could pump somebody

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Gotta love the laugh reacts on this. Or are we just pretending Vancouver hasn't been pumping us so far this year?
1. Those games were months ago when we were playing like crap. Since then the Oilers record is better than the PDO Dream Team.

2. This is an Oiler board, most of us despise the Canucks. Even if internally we might acknowledge that they finally have a team that isn't completely garbage, we sure as hell aren't going to broadcast it here. I would sooner go thru 2 hours of water torture than say anything good about one of our rivals. ;)

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
PWHL is nasty. I gotta mention this. But for a new league with no established rivalries and teams that were just invented last year there sure is a lot of bad blood in the sport and all the matches. its not hard to find articles like this or games like this. The first view one gets in PWHL is how dirty it is. how chippy it is, how aggressive the players are to one another. Hits are common and dirty. Seems like womens players would rather belt the opponent than take the puck. Perhaps its not whats expected but the game features a lot of malicious hits. It jumps out at you.

Now sociologically the reason I'm writing this is the mythos that males are toxic and horseshit claims that aggression resides fairly exclusively with males. Its of course nonsense and it is interesting that when female exclusive team sport leagues are featured the first likelihood is that the players take it to the gutter and if anything being as aggressive, and if these females had the physical power of males to enact mayhem one wonders how vicious it would be.

I'm reminded of womens soccer and seeing players trampling over each other, intentionally kicking each other with cleats, pulling hair. Its kind of funny. But it also completely removes false illusion that aggression exists primarily within the male of a species. Ethnologically this was always nonsense. Now its being unmasked. These female athletes can play the actual sport or take it to the gutter. Its interesting how often the games are going to the gutter. Its interesting how immense the animosity is in these games after only a few matches. Its kind of poor form too that this kind of article is marketing this kind of bad will.

The other take I have is that PWHL is intentionally being overtly physical. Telling teams, players to make hits. Seems over the top in this regard, and as if they are tying to counter some such concept that it wouldn't be physical. The first thing you see in PWHL is the hitting. its kind of odd.

Easy to find articles like this from teams that wanted to build out the hitting physical style.

"We wanted to make sure we had players who want to compete, who are courageous, and who are willing to get into the dirty areas and play a physical style."

Even stated as per article that the PWHL wanted to put a trademark product out that the fans (of male hockey) would be familiar with. Well they've done that but I'm not sure its the best sell. To me when I watch a PWHL game I don't see sportsmanship of any kind, I don't see good modeling. I see mayhem and a version of hockey that contains all the ugly (attempts to injure) but while being much more clumsy and awkward than watching the male games. In the PWHL its easy to spot the skilled players from those just along for the ride. The game can't sell itself on skill and so it doesn't.

One wonders if it follows similar path to Womens Football. Where for a decade or two support was huge and then people just started focusing on the level of play being awful and that top womens teams, even Womens world cup winning teams can't beat even Boys teams in games. The latter is always the demise of womens team sports. When it gets unmasked for how bad the quality and level of play is.

Oh man, anyone that has ever watched women's soccer at a local soccer center knows that women's sports have a level of nastiness to them.

Relatively common to see ladies ripping each other's piercings out.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Oh man, anyone that has ever watched women's soccer at a local soccer center knows that women's sports have a level of nastiness to them.

Women are tough. The whole stereotyping them as more forgiving in sports, don't kid yourself. They are as competitive, if not more than Men.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Who cares? If that predicates playoff success versus a team, the Oilers should have swept the Jets in the playoffs and not vice versa. Hand-wringing about a team in the most publicly visited thread (for reasons of voyeurism, much of our fanbase does the same in other ATL threads) like this is frankly kind of embarrassing and a bad look. Especially when it comes to a very vocal bandwagon fanbase that thrives on this, it feeds them.

Even worse when the success of that team has been largely on insane shooting percentages, PDO, and goaltending. Unless the Canucks score 4 goals in 8 shots or whatever and hang on for dear life the rest of the game like they do a lot, this competitive 16 game winning streak version of the Oilers would not “get pumped”

To top it off, Lindholm might not even be much better than Kuzmenko, and they paid a dear price for a Cinderella 40 goal scorer that doesn’t score anymore

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

I've got quite a few unopened boxes of cards, being saved for future generations, but unfortunately none from that year. ;)

Me too.
Hope 2024 turns out to be a good year haha

Oh yeah. No love lost.
And I miss Skinny Miny Miller in roller derby

Reactions: bellagiobob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad