Around the League 2022-23 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

Shame, I really hope he gets to go out on his own terms but I’m not hopeful at this point.
Sucks for Muzz. Can't mess with a spine injury. Gotta think long term.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Maybe people don’t want to expose their children to sexuality at a hockey game. I sure as hell don’t think my 8 year old is ready for that conversation. The teams and league bringing sexual orientation that is a subject best first introduced by a parent to a child and not a hockey team is a jellybeans a starting point. That’s why my I won’t take mine to staples center.
Boycotting an entire arena because you’re not equipped to explain a simple thing to your kid.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Boycotting an entire arena because you’re not equipped to explain a simple thing to your kid.
It might also be wise if they avoid the public, in case there's a gay couple. Or their kid makes friends with someone who has gay parents.

Should also avoid TV and movies. There might be a scene when two dudes hug, look awkward, then brush it off with machismo as we see in plenty of movies.

And literature.

Not wanting to "potentially expose" your child to "that stuff" suggests they'd be happy in some self-educating community where there's no TV, radio, and the list of allowable books to read get picked by a person or committee of people. And you while away the hours growing your own food.

Anyway, with Provorov, the worst part about the exchange is how the media wasn't allowed to continue to push. You can't say "I respect others' decision" and "but my religious beliefs don't allow me to celebrate their inclusion."

What part of his religious beliefs stopped him from wearing it? The colors? Does he feel homosexuality is a sin? Or is it about trans/gender identity and not feeling like it's right to alter your body? Did he talk to his pastor about this, or the other religious teammates? Or is it that he didn't feel comfortable about it due to experiences?

I'm not saying he has to answer it in huge detail. But it was a very generic and insensitive answer on a sensitive subject in a time where there's a lot of action being taken by some government officials to remove the rights of LGBTQ+ people. Heck, in 11 states, sodomy's illegal. Imagine if you weren't legally allowed to have sex with your partner.

Reactions: The Butcher

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Pointing out that there's cultures that are less LGBTQ friendly demonstrates the hypocrisy of what Hradek is saying. He likely wouldn't say the same thing about people from those cultures that have similar feelings as Provorov.

You seem to be implying that I'm saying all Hispanic or Arab immigrants have anti LGBTQ views, which I'm not. I'm saying there's significant portions of those communities that do, and by EJ's logic he should tell them (the ones who are not comfortable with "pride") to assimilate or go back to their own countries as well.
It is not that difficult for one to find the tenets of Eastern Orthodox religion with a simple on-line search.

Yet, it seems to be a mystery for some that Provorov must further explain.

I agree Hradek is just trying to score himself some points with his hypcrisy.

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
It might also be wise if they avoid the public, in case there's a gay couple. Or their kid makes friends with someone who has gay parents.

Should also avoid TV and movies. There might be a scene when two dudes hug, look awkward, then brush it off with machismo as we see in plenty of movies.

And literature.

Not wanting to "potentially expose" your child to "that stuff" suggests they'd be happy in some self-educating community where there's no TV, radio, and the list of allowable books to read get picked by a person or committee of people. And you while away the hours growing your own food.

Anyway, with Provorov, the worst part about the exchange is how the media wasn't allowed to continue to push. You can't say "I respect others' decision" and "but my religious beliefs don't allow me to celebrate their inclusion."

What part of his religious beliefs stopped him from wearing it? The colors? Does he feel homosexuality is a sin? Or is it about trans/gender identity and not feeling like it's right to alter your body? Did he talk to his pastor about this, or the other religious teammates? Or is it that he didn't feel comfortable about it due to experiences?

I'm not saying he has to answer it in huge detail. But it was a very generic and insensitive answer on a sensitive subject in a time where there's a lot of action being taken by some government officials to remove the rights of LGBTQ+ people. Heck, in 11 states, sodomy's illegal. Imagine if you weren't legally allowed to have sex with your partner.
Who said I have a problem with gay people? I sure as hell didn’t. My nephew is gay and has lived with us when his dad threw him out of the house. My wife is a hair stylist and co owns a salon with her gay business partner. This is the problem with people with an agenda and why Provorov doesn’t owe anyone an explanation. Nothing he says in context will matter to you. You’re out to prove your worth without asking any questions before you blurt out “the truth”. Feel free to take your foot out of your mouth.

This is the problem with too much access to these people or anybody and puting them on a pedestal or in front of a firing squad. It’s one thing to talk a little Shit or make a joke. You guys are full on crucifying people like the Roman’s. Most of it is none of your business and doesn’t affect you or anyone else for that matter. The virtue signaling and proving yourselves by out dogoodering people (yes I made up that phrase) is gonna get more people hurt than you are helping. It’s also gonna really suck when they decide they have had enough and push back. God help us all!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Don't confuse Europe with that Mordor further east, please.

Oh I certainly didn't mean to...just pointing out that it was a VERY Don Cherry thing to do. Sweden, Russia, Czechoslovakia, who cares? They're all just soft weirdo Euros in his eyes. Hradek's comments had the same vibe even if they were specific to what would 'cut' him.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Hradek's comments had the same vibe

That's not how I perceived them. I think Hradek's words were OK. They were a reminder that if anyone dislikes American values, they can return to their home country (regardless of on which continent it might be located) where such values won't be bothering them. That makes perfect sense and there's nothing wrong with saying that, I think. (I dislike political correctness and assigning sinister meanings and intentions to words when they are not necessarily there.)

At the same time, I don't think anyone should be forced to wear anything they don't wish to wear. That's something I would associate with a Communist society rather than a free one. Yeah, private corporations have dress codes, but are symbolic tokens of supporting this or that particular activism to be made part of corporate dress code now? :skeptic: I think that would be a wrong move.

By the way, it would be pretty funny for Hradek to be anti-European, given that his is a typical Czech name. :D (Meaning [Little] Castle.)

Above all else, this has nothing to do with the sport of hockey, so I consider all of this pretty much a non-issue and a storm in a tea-cup. :eyeroll:

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
That f***ing sucks.

I hate Patches but no pro athlete should have that taken away from him on injury, especially on a non-contact play just weeks after working the long way back from the same injury. I feel for him.
Yeah, I can’t see him playing again after the same injury occurring.

That poor bastard.

Reactions: kilowatt

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I have had tendinitis in my right Achilles since last may. Can finally walk with minimal pain. Still can’t run. Can’t imagine how bad a tear would be.
I have a theragun and use it. It's helped a ton. I coached my kiddos soccer team and it caught up with me bilaterally on both achilles and migrated to one of my feet in the form of plantar fasciitis. Largely back to normal after a few months of stretching, Theragun and strengthening.

That said, I saw the interview with Patches and PK Subban and was glad he was coming back to the ice. CH look like they can compete and it's tough to watch as I like that team. Tendons get minimal blood flow compared to muscles so this may be it for him unless they go surgical for him as an option. Shit situation.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
3232B587-C45A-4EB2-8BF7-719118CF669F.jpeg

until @kingsboy11 or an Admin can sort out the off the rails political , homophobia and race debate going on in here that has nothing to do with hockey and is against the site rules you all agreed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad