Around the League 2022-23 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
You have no idea of “what kind of person it makes you” and that thought pattern is what has us at each others throats, you decide for you and let others decide for themselves as long as neither one of you try to inflict it on others life’s, educate each other on your beliefs is fine but judging someone because they don’t believe what you believe is oxy moronic at best and hypocritical at worst……everyone is welcome unless you disagree with us and then it’s Orwell’s 1984 no free thoughts or speech , kaepernick was right to protest what he thought was wrong as was Valenuwavasp) was to come out from his team and stand for the anthem
Kaepernick was blacklisted for his stance. Half the country claimed he was unAmerican for bringing light to an ongoing issue. They turned that protest into something it wasn’t for their own agenda.

As soon as I heard the Provorov stuff I knew exactly what arguments the board would fall into and it went down just like I thought it would.

Our country is divided with little room for nuance or middle ground.

In some cases not doing anything or keeping status quo is choosing a side.

Wish I had answers but I don’t.

I think it probably lies in grace and love.

Reactions: yankeeking

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Absolutely, but I'm sure you see how none of that works either.

Throw rocks through a window in anger... "You're a thug"
Kneel for the anthem... "You sonofabitch"
Attempt to celebrate diversity... "Just stick to hockey"

The goal is always the same:
- Get back in the closet
- Go to the back of the bus
- Make yourself as small as possible
- Don't make a peep
- Don't make ME uncomfortable because I don't have the emotional intelligence to handle it
- In fact, why don't you just die

It's sad.
Actually the things you listed are actions not agreeing with a marketing night exploiting people to draw money is a thought.

He didn’t make a scene of it, the media did.
He didn’t physically assault the lgbt community.
He said it’s not my cause I don’t want to do it.
Hell, he didn’t even say he was against that lifestyle.

But because he didn’t say “hey this is great” …half of you want to “re-educate” him.

Im all about protecting people that are being persecuted. The person being attacked in this instance is the Russian orthodox Christian. If he went out of his way to be destructive or malicious then I would say he deserved it but he has done neither. Him not taking the warmup does zero harm to the lgbt community. Going after him because you don’t agree with his personal feelings and or religion is another story.

Last edited:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
You have no idea of “what kind of person it makes you” and that thought pattern is what has us at each others throats, you decide for you and let others decide for themselves as long as neither one of you try to inflict it on others life’s, educate each other on your beliefs is fine but judging someone because they don’t believe what you believe is oxy moronic at best and hypocritical at worst……everyone is welcome unless you disagree with us and then it’s Orwell’s 1984 no free thoughts or speech , kaepernick was right to protest what he thought was wrong as was Valenuwavasp) was to come out from his team and stand for the anthem
I have every idea of what kind of person it makes. When people tell you who they are, believe them.

The bolded is at the very heart of the matter. An enormous portion of the world is all about inflicting their beliefs on everybody else just because an ancient book they read told them so. That's a fact. I've never had a LGBTQ person knock on my door to tell me I should be gay. Have you? Also never seens any laws made or even proposed telling peole they can't be hetero.

Provorov's "beliefs" come directly from that system that seeks to overwhelm and control. He can voice them, I'm all for it. Let's me know who the assholes are.

Anyway, it is what it is and the chances of anyone's minds changing here are about as likely as beautiful big breasted women falling from the sky so... moving on.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I have every idea of what kind of person it makes. When people tell you who they are, believe them.

The bolded is at the very heart of the matter. An enormous portion of the world is all about inflicting their beliefs on everybody else just because an ancient book they read told them so. That's a fact. I've never had a LGBTQ person knock on my door to tell me I should be gay. Have you? Also never seens any laws made or even proposed telling peole they can't be hetero.

Provorov's "beliefs" come directly from that system that seeks to overwhelm and control. He can voice them, I'm all for it. Let's me know who the assholes are.

Anyway, it is what it is and the chances of anyone's minds changing here are about as likely as beautiful big breasted women falling from the sky so... moving on.

LMAO yea, definitely let people know you are intolerant.....by trying to be tolerant....except to those who disagree with you....

Moving on alright.....damn the bullshit is great with this one....

It's literally....I know who you are because....I think that's who you are, even though, I have no idea...who you are. f***ing great logic....

Reactions: BehindEnemyLines

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not to rehash it but maybe brings a different approach to the discussion. Torts' view, informed by his stance on Kaepernick:

I definitely appreciate that he went thru the team as well, seems like he learned, grew, handled it as well as he could.

However, they knew before the warmups that this was coming:

To me this part is really damning. I appreciate that they respected his beliefs and that Provorov got to make his stand, but in trotting the whole scene out in front of everyone, they made it an issue. They could easily have said equipment issue, or if they didn't want to lie, say something like 'internal matter' or whatever. They didn't have to put it in the forefront.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
A few things on the Provorov situation that I didn't see mentioned. There is a big difference between tolerance and endorsement. I think that is where people miss the boat on many issues. Saying he is a homophobe (which is a misnomer since it means fear of the same, but entirely different issue.) or hateful, etc is to know his heart, no one knows that, but to say that he doesn't endorse it, that is the thing we know. Tolerance in my opinion is understanding that if two people are in a relationship. They should be able to have a will and transfer property. They should be able to enjoy the benefits of the tax code that hetero couples enjoy. basically they should have all the dignity afforded to every other American. A non endorsement would be opposing having your child at drag queen story hour, not marching in a Pride parade or skating warmups in a Pride jersey. These ideas are not mutually exclusive. That is what's missed in society today. regardless of the cause, if you are not a "Ally"then you must be a hater of that thing. As someone said earlier there is nuance and grey area in everything.

I work in an area where the gay and lesbian population is way above the national average. I deal with multiple LGBTQ folks in business as customers and vendors. Most are either embarrassed or don't care about the "movement" maybe because it's an already accepting area so they don't have any hate issues.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not to rehash it but maybe brings a different approach to the discussion. Torts' view, informed by his stance on Kaepernick:

I definitely appreciate that he went thru the team as well, seems like he learned, grew, handled it as well as he could.

However, they knew before the warmups that this was coming:

To me this part is really damning. I appreciate that they respected his beliefs and that Provorov got to make his stand, but in trotting the whole scene out in front of everyone, they made it an issue. They could easily have said equipment issue, or if they didn't want to lie, say something like 'internal matter' or whatever. They didn't have to put it in the forefront.

Re: Tortorella, I don't think it absolves him of his hypocrisy. Yeah, he learned about the cause later, but he was still willing to bench a player for being true to himself. The only difference is Tortorella didn't like what he thought the player was being "true to himself" about.

Re: the org knowing. The biggest question is if they talked to him about what the celebration signifies. I'm glad they didn't say "equipment issues." Provorov has the right to have his stance known if that's the statement he wanted to make.

Ultimately, if the org didn't talk to him about the meaning, then he just may not know. If they did, and he still wants to cite religion for welcoming a group of people into a game and community, then he may or may not be welcomed or appreciated. Either way, he has his higher power to answer to.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
A few things on the Provorov situation that I didn't see mentioned. There is a big difference between tolerance and endorsement. I think that is where people miss the boat on many issues. Saying he is a homophobe (which is a misnomer since it means fear of the same, but entirely different issue.) or hateful, etc is to know his heart, no one knows that, but to say that he doesn't endorse it, that is the thing we know. Tolerance in my opinion is understanding that if two people are in a relationship. They should be able to have a will and transfer property. They should be able to enjoy the benefits of the tax code that hetero couples enjoy. basically they should have all the dignity afforded to every other American. A non endorsement would be opposing having your child at drag queen story hour, not marching in a Pride parade or skating warmups in a Pride jersey. These ideas are not mutually exclusive. That is what's missed in society today. regardless of the cause, if you are not a "Ally"then you must be a hater of that thing. As someone said earlier there is nuance and grey area in everything.

I work in an area where the gay and lesbian population is way above the national average. I deal with multiple LGBTQ folks in business as customers and vendors. Most are either embarrassed or don't care about the "movement" maybe because it's an already accepting area so they don't have any hate issues.
This is my feelings as, expressed in a beautiful way.

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Maybe people don’t want to expose their children to sexuality at a hockey game. I sure as hell don’t think my 8 year old is ready for that conversation. The teams and league bringing sexual orientation that is a subject best first introduced by a parent to a child and not a hockey team is a jellybeans a starting point. That’s why my I won’t take mine to staples center.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Maybe people don’t want to expose their children to sexuality at a hockey game. I sure as hell don’t think my 8 year old is ready for that conversation. The teams and league bringing sexual orientation that is a subject best first introduced by a parent to a child and not a hockey team is a jellybeans a starting point. That’s why my I won’t take mine to staples center.

This has nothing to do with sexuality at all.
Some people are attracted to the same gender, that's all.
The Philly brass and this event just stands for equality and open minds to no exclude those peeps from society.

All that doesn't mean that the Hot Dog sales man from section 319 is encouraged by the franchise to molest your 8 year old

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
The Kings goal differential doesn't lie, as that stat has been an indicator in the past of how teams will end up performing in the final standings. It is going to be a real struggle for the Kings to remain in 3rd place.

Ultimately, I see the Kings in a dog fight for a wild card playoff spot this season, possibly with Seattle, Minnesota and Nashville.
the goal diff was due to quick and petersen being dog shit

Reactions: AbsentMojo

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This has nothing to do with sexuality at all.
Some people are attracted to the same gender, that's all.
The Philly brass and this event just stands for equality and open minds to no exclude those peeps from society.

All that doesn't mean that the Hot Dog sales man from section 319 is encouraged by the franchise to molest your 8 year old
"I don't want my children exposed to anything sexual. Now get those ice girls and cheerleaders back on TV."

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
the goal diff was due to quick and petersen being dog shit
Hence me saying, if the Kings goaltending holds up, they have a shot at the playoffs. You are asking a lot of a journeyman goaltender considering the number of games he will have to play, if Quick really is done.

Provorovs jerseys sold out haha
...buried in the lead...

"NHL raises prices on Provorov's jersey."

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The mental gymnastics that ppl are doing to defend proporov lol

What exactly do you think needs defending?

It's bullshit takes like this, that make no sense......why do you think he needs defending, because his opinion is different than yours, and somehow, you are superior to him morally? Because that would be the only thing I can think of that he did wrong, he disagreed with you.

Reactions: BehindEnemyLines

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California

This absolutely insane. What exactly are you worried about?

Last edited:

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
You dont take your child to Kings games because of homosexuality at the arena? Or just sexuality in general like cheerleader ice girls and dancing?
That is your decision but there are many families at games having fun.
Movies have love stories and kissing scenes that are more sexual than a game at Staples.
I am not attacking you just curious that its really why you wont attend games?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Hey, at least learning about sexuality at a sporting event or movie is a controlled environment. You should hear the shit I hear that kids learn from playground talk.

Kiss cam vs. "I can't get preggo if I have sex in a spa, silly, the heat kills it!"

Hmm....

Reactions: Shellz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad