Around the League 2022-23 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
LOL but not Pacific....but yea.....the whole weak division is a trope so they don't have to dig in, up until very recently LA hasn't played much of ANY pacific division teams....7 or 8 maybe out of 46 games..but they are where they are cuz...you know..."weak division"

There's some very good teams in the Western Conference that people are sleeping on

The good news is they're finally beating teams in their division, with the exception of seattle. There's one more chance at them.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

"...if this is that much of a problem for him to assimilate into his group of teammates, and into the community and here in this country...there's always a chance to leave."

"Go back where you feel more comfortable. I understand there's a conflict of sorts over there, maybe get involved."

Reactions: Faterson

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

"...if this is that much of a problem for him to assimilate into his group of teammates, and into the community and here in this country...there's always a chance to leave."

"Go back where you feel more comfortable. I understand there's a conflict of sorts over there, maybe get involved."

If he was a muslim, no one would say anything about his choice.

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
I don’t agree with the teams messaging as a whole. I also don’t care to bring my family into the city of LA given the current state of crime and homelessness. My last home game was when we won the cup in in 2012. Not a bad last game to go too. We used to have a suite at the Toyota arena but during Covid when they decided to still charge us the 97k for our suite with no events scheduled we decided not to do business with the Kings anymore.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Think about all the immigrants here who come from places that are very socially traditional, where "pride" doesn't have much visibility if at all.

By EJ Hradek's logic, he should want all the Hispanic and Arabic immigrants who aren't comfortable with LGBTQ to go back to their own countries.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Think about all the immigrants here who come from places that are very socially traditional, where "pride" doesn't have much visibility if at all.

By EJ Hradek's logic, he should want all the Hispanic and Arabic immigrants who aren't comfortable with LGBTQ to go back to their own countries.
Don Cherry got fired for saying immigrants should wear a flower pin.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
By saying he could get involved in the war, is he implying he'd like to see Provorov physically harmed? I'm not sure what he's implying there.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
D42FAEF6-6F3C-4E05-8709-3DC10DFFB855.jpeg

And then there’s some players who should just shut up.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Who is discussing politics?
Political speech means speech relating to the state, government, body politic, or public administration as it relates to governmental policy‑making, and the term includes speech by the government or candidates for office and any discussion of social issues.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Hradek is mouthing off a bit for sure but this statement is equally ignorant, for example Kadri is a practicing Muslim and has worn the pride jersey multiple times.

No need to compound what was clearly an attempt by EJ to be opportunistic by going in on other minorities, this is gonna spin it out of control.

Some guys fully assimilate, some don't, background clearly has little to do with it.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Hradek is mouthing off a bit for sure but this statement is equally ignorant, for example Kadri is a practicing Muslim and has worn the pride jersey multiple times.

No need to compound what was clearly an attempt by EJ to be opportunistic by going in on other minorities, this is gonna spin it out of control.

Some guys fully assimilate, some don't, background clearly has little to do with it.
What's ignorant about what I said?

I think you may be misreading what I said.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What's ignorant about what I said?

I think you my be misreading what I said.

I think it's fine to point out how Hradek made a very Don-Cherry-esque Euro-xenophobic statement.

I don't think there's any point to bring further cultures into it for illustrative purposes when we have plenty of examples of other foreign NHLers having no problem with it.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Political speech means speech relating to the state, government, body politic, or public administration as it relates to governmental policy‑making, and the term includes speech by the government or candidates for office and any discussion of social issues.
Whoa dude what’s with the political post?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think it's fine to point out how Hradek made a very Don-Cherry-esque Euro-xenophobic statement.

I don't think there's any point to bring further cultures into it for illustrative purposes when we have plenty of examples of other foreign NHLers having no problem with it.
Pointing out that there's cultures that are less LGBTQ friendly demonstrates the hypocrisy of what Hradek is saying. He likely wouldn't say the same thing about people from those cultures that have similar feelings as Provorov.

You seem to be implying that I'm saying all Hispanic or Arab immigrants have anti LGBTQ views, which I'm not. I'm saying there's significant portions of those communities that do, and by EJ's logic he should tell them (the ones who are not comfortable with "pride") to assimilate or go back to their own countries as well.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If he was a muslim, no one would say anything about his choice.
Is this a joke? Or are you basing this off of years of tolerance the United States has shown towards Muslims?
Don Cherry got fired for saying immigrants should wear a flower pin.
Is this also a joke? You don't think Cherry's history of xenophobia towards Europeans and French Canadians didn't factor in when he said "You people..."

Jesus this forum.

See, I don't think this is appropriate for him to say. We need to do better to encourage tolerance than "put this on or leave the country."

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Is this a joke? Or are you basing this off of years of tolerance the United States has shown towards Muslims?

Is this also a joke? You don't think Cherry's history of xenophobia towards Europeans and French Canadians didn't factor in when he said "You people..."

Jesus this forum.

See, I don't think this is appropriate for him to say. We need to do better to encourage tolerance than "put this on or leave the country."
The joke is making a big deal out of a literal nothing burger. So the guy won't wear a pride jersey. Who gives a real f*** about this?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The joke is making a big deal out of a literal nothing burger. So the guy won't wear a pride jersey. Who gives a real f*** about this?
I'm sorry. I was unaware you didn't know how to read. The past several pages discussed the issue and why people "give a real f*** about this."
Provorov not wearing the jersey is a topic going on around the league. And we're discussing the ramifications and societal influences both behind the ramifications and why it's a big issue.

This forum would be lit if Evander Kane tricked another partner that he would compensate her if she got an abortion.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm sorry. I was unaware you didn't know how to read. The past several pages discussed the issue and why people "give a real f*** about this."

Provorov not wearing the jersey is a topic going on around the league. And we're discussing the ramifications and societal influences both behind the ramifications and why it's a big issue.

This forum would be lit if Evander Kane tricked another partner that he would compensate her if she got an abortion.
It's not a big deal at all. People like to make a big deal out of it because they're bored and on the internet. If an athlete not wearing a rainbow jersey is a big deal, they need to evaluate their priorities in life.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Pointing out that there's cultures that are less LGBTQ friendly demonstrates the hypocrisy of what Hradek is saying. He likely wouldn't say the same thing about people from those cultures that have similar feelings as Provorov.

You seem to be implying that I'm saying all Hispanic or Arab immigrants have anti LGBTQ views, which I'm not. I'm saying there's significant portions of those communities that do, and by EJ's logic he should tell them (the ones who are not comfortable with "pride") to assimilate or go back to their own countries as well.

Which would not happen, as that would be racist. Provorov is not only a white dude, but also Russian, so he's a very easy target to pile on today.

It is one of those funny human things though. Change a few variables in the equation, and people can sound a lot like the people they vehemently disagree with. Love it, or leave it. It's the horseshoe theory in action.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Shame, I really hope he gets to go out on his own terms but I’m not hopeful at this point.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Wasn't intended to be my implication.

To be clear, my point is there's no point in even bringing in that hypothetical because 1. there is at least one prominent example of a player who does NOT feed into that and 2. which one of those players did that to which EJ should be saying anything towards them at all?

I get what you're saying, it's logical and not far fetched, I'm just saying there's no need to even cast that net. But you're probably right that I'm reading maybe too much into it.

It's not a big deal at all. People like to make a big deal out of it because they're bored and on the internet. If an athlete not wearing a rainbow jersey is a big deal, they need to evaluate their priorities in life.

I could show you plenty of well-spoken Philly fans who aren't frothing at the mouth about it, but they're LGBTQ and it understandably upset them and they wrote reasonable responses.

It's not a big deal TO YOU and that's okay, but being dismissive of other people's journeys as simply words/actions is exactly the problem.

And to kind of bring it back full circle as it pertains to NHL hockey--these are paying fans and players who have fought persecution their whole lives. Maybe I just empathize more because I was a minority playing hockey and saw how some people piled on and other people enabled them by ignoring it--but this is how and why you alienate people from a sport. Frankly, in some ways I'd prefer the 'f*** you' kind of ignorance than the passive aggressive "I have a gay friend so" kind.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Or perhaps spend time understanding the impact those attitudes actually have, rather than what you think they should have. Living in the ‘nothing to see here‘ bubble doesn’t actually move anything forward. Nor does pretending the growing homeless problem doesn’t exist (which someone mentioned). People clearly don’t even understand the issue when I read posters conflating gender with sex.

I forget who posted it but it’s never too early to educate about sexuality, gender or reproduction (which doesn’t mean show explicit material to 5 yr olds) at an appropriate level so they understand. Acting like any of those subjects are taboo is what messes with people’s personal emotional and development, not honest discussion.

Reactions: King'sPawn

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Or perhaps spend time understanding the impact those attitudes actually have, rather than what you think they should have. Living in the ‘nothing to see here‘ bubble doesn’t actually move anything forward. Nor does pretending the growing homeless problem doesn’t exist (which someone mentioned). People clearly don’t even understand the issue when I read posters conflating gender with sex.

I forget who posted it but it’s never too early to educate about sexuality, gender or reproduction (which doesn’t mean show explicit material to 5 yr olds) at an appropriate level so they understand. Acting like any of those subjects are taboo is what messes with people’s personal emotional and development, not honest discussion.

I don't even know if living in the nothing to see here bubble......applies? This is how I feel about it, you tell me if I am living in that bubble, because if I am, then so be it....

I don't think it's a big deal, I think there is a certain aspect of society who go out of there way to make it a big deal, and I think there are people who are genuinely upset that he took that stance for variety of reasons (no support, perceived bigotry, lost opportunity to educate etc) my point is ALL of those points are valid....my issue is with the people that want to demonize others, because they don't share the same point of view.....ie, let's show my tolerance to everyone, by being intolerant of the people that disagree with me....

I don't understand that line of thinking, if you are tolerant, then the stance he took SHOULD NOT UPSET YOU, you should be TOLERANT of his stance, while still being against it, or not agreeing with it, and using that as the start of a debate, instead....people are using it as the start of a war, us vs them, etc...

Reactions: Kingspiracy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad