NHL Around the League: 2021 XVI - Stanley Cup Final - Lightning win second Cup in a row

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
hes been around for years but leave it to the habs fans to say hes cheating. they told me Bettmans Vegas Knights were a lock for the finals bc its rigged

I mean...I’m saying it and I’m not a Habs fan.

His equipment does look very large in many pictures. I guess in an ideal world, it doesn’t turn into any sort of big thing so as to act as a distraction from the fact that his team just won their second straight Cup. But I do think it’s worth questioning given the photographic evidence.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Terrible take. Real bad. Horrendous.
care to elaborate? I don't think he's that far off. With the moves they've made in the last couple years in particular (Stone, Patches, Pietro) I don't think it's unfair to say that they were a disappointment. I don't think the distance from disappointment to "chokers" is so far as to turn a luke warm take into a horrendous one.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
They certainly overachieved year one, no question. I mentioned that it was understandable they didn’t finish it.

Second year first round exit, again maybe not a “choke”, but a disappointment the team that was in the finals the season prior couldn’t get past the first round.

Years three and four they were cup contenders and made the conference finals, hardly overachievers. They played inferior teams both years, teams they were favored against. They came up short both times, the second of which hilariously bad.

it’s really out of bounds to say they are developing into playoff chokers? People want to call the take bad, still yet to see a legitimate argument otherwise.

thanks, good reasoning. I haven’t looked closely enough to offer a lot other than my lazy speculation.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I have never...ever missed a final game of the SC final....until 2019 when we were in Berlin and I missed my 3 am alarm, 2020.....just lost interest and this year I kind of lost interest and had other things to do.
Hey man, it's July!!!

New pic of Vasilevsky and Price...lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210708-165722.png
    Screenshot_20210708-165722.png
    624.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
care to elaborate? I don't think he's that far off. With the moves they've made in the last couple years in particular (Stone, Patches, Pietro) I don't think it's unfair to say that they were a disappointment. I don't think the distance from disappointment to "chokers" is so far as to turn a luke warm take into a horrendous one.

The entire organization is just four years old. What they've achieved as an expansion team in a league with this many teams is incredible. Did they blow it against Montreal? 100%. Are they chokers for losing in their first year of existence to a better Washington team? Are they chokers for losing a tough first round series the next year? Or only reaching the CF last year?

It's an absurd label to put on them. Totally absurd. Lacks all context.

Reactions: fin8 and Dreghorn2

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The entire organization is just four years old. What they've achieved as an expansion team in a league with this many teams is incredible. Did they blow it against Montreal? 100%. Are they chokers for losing in their first year of existence to a better Washington team? Are they chokers for losing a tough first round series the next year? Or only reaching the CF last year?

LV had advantages other expansion teams could have only dreamed of, namely not getting stuck with bottom feeders in the expansion draft. I give them credit for doing well but it isn't like they started way behind the curve either, like Tampa Bay & Ottawa did for example.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
LV had advantages other expansion teams could have only dreamed of, namely not getting stuck with bottom feeders in the expansion draft. I give them credit for doing well but it isn't like they started way behind the curve either, like Tampa Bay & Ottawa did for example.

True, but this isn't about just comparing them to past expansion teams. Teams in big markets with years of high draft picks can't win a single playoff series for years. What Vegas has done is incredible and absolutely no one could have predicted, and no one would criticize their success if you went back in time four years and said what they've done.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I think that pic of Vasilevskiy and Price together appears so odd because of camera angle. He may indeed wear huge pads, but they, and he, are not THAT much bigger than Price. In fact Price is listed as being a smidge bigger than Vasi. At the bottom of the pic Vasi's hands appear twice as big as those of Price. Has to be a camera angle thing. Google Image Price and Vasi by themselves and their pads seem fairly comparable in size on the whole when scrolling through a lot of pictures.

Here is an interesting article from a week ago on Vasi's gear and NHL regulations:

Under Review: Checking on Vasilevskiy’s Goalie Gear

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019

I have provided plenty of context though. I’ve also stated that I don’t give them flak for losing in the finals against Washington. Even the following year they lost in the first round after adding Mark Stone. It is considered a disappointment when a cup finalist fails to advance past the first round, but if you want to give them a pass here? Go for it.

While only 4 years old, they aren’t the same team they were in year one. They’ve added high end talent like Paccioretty and Pietrangelo, acquired Lehner to pair with Fleury and form arguably the league’s best tandem. Their team is loaded with size and speed. Multiple players have won championships as well, plenty of guys who have been there and done it.

What about the trend of these last two seasons though? Blowing it against Dallas and the. Blowing it even harder against Montreal. How long are we to say “well they are only 4”. They are a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.

Three conference finals in four years, with a first round exit sprinkled in. Doesn’t matter if your 4 or 100. That’s a choke job. Even if you take the first two seasons out, still a choke job. What more context do you need to have?

Greyhounds

Sep 30, 2005
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Biggest reason why I have no love lost for Vegas. They got to pluck some pretty good players from the other teams, and then those teams got to watch as Vegas finished above them in the standings. Decent performance I can say OK, but when the team is suddenly a top performer right out of the gate, obviously the other teams got screwed.

Reactions: BMC

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I have provided plenty of context though. I’ve also stated that I don’t give them flak for losing in the finals against Washington. Even the following year they lost in the first round after adding Mark Stone. It is considered a disappointment when a cup finalist fails to advance past the first round, but if you want to give them a pass here? Go for it.

While only 4 years old, they aren’t the same team they were in year one. They’ve added high end talent like Paccioretty and Pietrangelo, acquired Lehner to pair with Fleury and form arguably the league’s best tandem. Their team is loaded with size and speed. Multiple players have won championships as well, plenty of guys who have been there and done it.

What about the trend of these last two seasons though? Blowing it against Dallas and the. Blowing it even harder against Montreal. How long are we to say “well they are only 4”. They are a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.

Three conference finals in four years, with a first round exit sprinkled in. Doesn’t matter if your 4 or 100. That’s a choke job. Even if you take the first two seasons out, still a choke job. What more context do you need to have?

Lol. Awful.

But we'll stop saying "they're only four" next season. Then they will be only five.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Do people actually think Vasilevsky is wearing bigger pads than other goalies and that’s why he’s so good?

:facepalm:

Must be the only reason

Just imagine how good Rask would be with bigger pads ...he could've won 2 or 3 Stanley Cups by now

or maybe it's because Vasilevskiy is the best goalie in the world

Reactions: The National

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Lol. Awful.

But we'll stop saying "they're only four" next season. Then they will be only five.
Well I mean, you don’t agree, but again you don’t have a rebuttal. Just calling it awful, horrendous, absurd, etc.

If you have a good point to make, make it. Otherwise, have a little maturity to have a conversation. You disagree, tell me why. If you don’t care to talk about the subject or bother making an effort why even comment in the first place?

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Well I mean, you don’t agree, but again you don’t have a rebuttal. Just calling it awful, horrendous, absurd, etc.

If you have a good point to make, make it. Otherwise, have a little maturity to have a conversation. You disagree, tell me why. If you don’t care to talk about the subject or bother making an effort why even comment in the first place?

Comparing a 30 year old franchise to a four year old franchise is like comparing an adult to a baby

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Biggest reason why I have no love lost for Vegas. They got to pluck some pretty good players from the other teams, and then those teams got to watch as Vegas finished above them in the standings. Decent performance I can say OK, but when the team is suddenly a top performer right out of the gate, obviously the other teams got screwed.
the Lighting paid a $50 million expansion fee. The Knights paid $500 million. i'd expect a little more favorable circumstances too

Reactions: Lo97 and Devonator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad