Around The League 2021 season - part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i will be the first to admit i dont follow the wild in and out but i looked at the record since he went there. they are/were/whatever a good team. you want to blame the lack of playoff success? some context though is definitely needed

12-13 L first round hawks who won the cup
13-14 L second round hawks made conference finals. kings won cup
14-15 L second round hawks who won the cup
15-16 L first round stars 50 win 109pt team
16-17 L first round loss blues 99pts preds make the finals
17-18 L first round jets 51w 114pts
19 miss blues win cup
20 covid but they probably make the playoffs with a full regular season?

so he goes to the west at the start of his contract there when the conference is definitely better then the east where he just left. in his 8 years? teams in his division have been to 4 finals with them winning 3 of them! thats pretty impressive. wild put up some good regular seasons too and top 100pts would that have happened without zach? maybe but I think its just super bad luck that the wild window opened when their division was super stacked much like how the flyers window opened the same time as the devils.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I will always root against Parise and I am glad he is a healthy scratch. We dodged a bullet there big time. He screwed with the team I have been cheering for my entire life so I’m sorry but I am going to hold a grudge against him.
I said even before his “decision “ that if he wanted term , no way we should resign him as his play style does not age well at all. His game revolves around speed and tenacity and when that goes, he will be ineffective.
He has made his money and is set for life ( and probably his next 3 generations of family ) so it’s not like I am taking pleasure in him not succeeding . I just hope he gets buried on some crap team or is forced to play meaningless hockey from here on out. Serves him right in my opinion.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I will always root against Parise and I am glad he is a healthy scratch. We dodged a bullet there big time. He screwed with the team I have been cheering for my entire life so I’m sorry but I am going to hold a grudge against him.
I said even before his “decision “ that if he wanted term , no way we should resign him as his play style does not age well at all. His game revolves around speed and tenacity and when that goes, he will be ineffective.
He has made his money and is set for life ( and probably his next 3 generations of family ) so it’s not like I am taking pleasure in him not succeeding . I just hope he gets buried on some crap team or is forced to play meaningless hockey from here on out. Serves him right in my opinion.

i love the "we dodged a bullet crowd". let me go check to see how we have been since he left standby.........oh yeah that isn't pretty. there is a legit chance that his entire contract can run its course and we will have made the playoffs 1 time. i'm not saying if he stayed it would've been different results but to say we dodged a bullet is definitely a reach. you can say it if we didn't sign him and then instead went ahead and signed someone else and got us to the playoffs multiple times sure. but i dunno if it sounds right that we "dodged a bullet" for not having him and then proceed to make the playoffs 1 time in 13 years. can't wait to see the fire coming my way

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
i love the "we dodged a bullet crowd". let me go check to see how we have been since he left standby.........oh yeah that isn't pretty. there is a legit chance that his entire contract can run its course and we will have made the playoffs 1 time. i'm not saying if he stayed it would've been different results but to say we dodged a bullet is definitely a reach. you can say it if we didn't sign him and then instead went ahead and signed someone else and got us to the playoffs multiple times sure. but i dunno if it sounds right that we "dodged a bullet" for not having him and then proceed to make the playoffs 1 time in 13 years

right, and we wouldn't have been THAT much better with him here the past number of years, and we'd still be stuck with his albatross contract for FOUR more years

he CHOSE to leave...the Devils wanted him back. So not sure how you could possibly spin it that it was the Devils fault there....

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
We dodged Parise's contract thanks to Kovalchuk's contract which we also dodged when he retired?

So saved lots of money but lost lots of talent and nothing to show in return except a lot of cash for ownership, watching from the sidelines come playoffs, and some consolation prize draft picks that are finally showing us there might be light at the end of the tunnel in a few more years. Seems like a crappy game of kick the can.

Rebuilding sucks.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
right, and we wouldn't have been THAT much better with him here the past number of years, and we'd still be stuck with his albatross contract for FOUR more years

he CHOSE to leave...the Devils wanted him back. So not sure how you could possibly spin it that it was the Devils fault there....

Good thing that I never did or even tried to. so what if we would've had his albatross contract for 4 more years? (again i never even said i wanted him) we have the least amount of cap space in the nhl and been close to the bottom now for a few years so it really wouldn't have mattered. again i wasn't even saying to have kept him I think you missed that though.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Good thing that I never did or even tried to. so what if we would've had his albatross contract for 4 more years? (again i never even said i wanted him) we have the least amount of cap space in the nhl and been close to the bottom now for a few years so it really wouldn't have mattered. again i wasn't even saying to have kept him I think you missed that though.

so what ARE you even saying?

seems like you are just rambling on for the sake of rambling on

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
so what ARE you even saying?

seems like you are just rambling on for the sake of rambling on

Simply find it funny that people can claim we dodged a bullet with a bad contract then proceed to make the playoffs 1 time in those 8 years and maybe miss even more before the contract is over. How you could possibly get me blaming the devils for parise from that? Well I dunno but that’s on you. Thanks for listening to rambling on.
Maybe if we signed shatenkirk we would’ve been better

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Simply find it funny that people can claim we dodged a bullet with a bad contract then proceed to make the playoffs 1 time in those 8 years and maybe miss even more before the contract is over. How you could possibly get me blaming the devils for parise from that? Well I dunno but that’s on you. Thanks for listening to rambling on.
Maybe if we signed shatenkirk we would’ve been better

Look at it this way, with that Parise contract, maybe the Devils made the playoffs 1 or 2 more times but probably didn’t go deep.

Their draft picks would all be a little worse so think about the current system and team being weaker.

The team would still have all the bad years on that contract remaining.

So ya, signing Parise to that deal would probably have been worse than letting him go for nothing was.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Look at it this way, with that Parise contract, maybe the Devils made the playoffs 1 or 2 more times but probably didn’t go deep.

Their draft picks would all be a little worse so think about the current system and team being weaker.

The team would still have all the bad years on that contract remaining.

So ya, signing Parise to that deal would probably have been worse than letting him go for nothing was.

Yeah maybe but maybe not. Still think it’s silly

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Parise only had an 8 year deal instead of a 13 year deal, his contract wouldn’t have been that bad. Even if the cap hit was $8 million or $8.5 million, rather than $7.5 million. If he had only gotten 8 years (which is the max term under the current CBA, but the Wild could have only signed him for 7 under current rules, we could have given him 8) in 2012, his contract would have ended last year. It would have been a bit rough his last couple years under contract, but with his contract really being 13 years, it looks like he will be possibly unplayable in the last 2-3 years of it.

For what it’s worth, I think he’s still an okay player. He hasn’t reached unplayable territory and he’s probably aged reasonably for a guy that’s 36 years old right now. There’s not too many players his age or older that are better than he currently is.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If Parise only had an 8 year deal instead of a 13 year deal, his contract wouldn’t have been that bad. Even if the cap hit was $8 million or $8.5 million, rather than $7.5 million. If he had only gotten 8 years (which is the max term under the current CBA, but the Wild could have only signed him for 7 under current rules, we could have given him 8) in 2012, his contract would have ended last year. It would have been a bit rough his last couple years under contract, but with his contract really being 13 years, it looks like he will be possibly unplayable in the last 2-3 years of it.

For what it’s worth, I think he’s still an okay player. He hasn’t reached unplayable territory and he’s probably aged reasonably for a guy that’s 36 years old right now. There’s not too many players his age or older that are better than he currently is.

i dont think anyone at the time expected him to finish the contract or at least certainly not produce at the end how he did at the start. that being said i dont blame the wild for giving the contract they had to do it. i don't follow wild hockey much but to me it seems that it helped keep their window open and now it will close and they will go into a rebuild at some point which is the life cycle of teams.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
i dont think anyone at the time expected him to finish the contract or at least certainly not produce at the end how he did at the start. that being said i dont blame the wild for giving the contract they had to do it. i don't follow wild hockey much but to me it seems that it helped keep their window open and now it will close and they will go into a rebuild at some point which is the life cycle of teams.

You don't say.

Reactions: Darkauron

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
We dodged Parise's contract thanks to Kovalchuk's contract which we also dodged when he retired?

So saved lots of money but lost lots of talent and nothing to show in return except a lot of cash for ownership, watching from the sidelines come playoffs, and some consolation prize draft picks that are finally showing us there might be light at the end of the tunnel in a few more years. Seems like a crappy game of kick the can.

Rebuilding sucks.

JVB running out of money, Suter not wanting to come to the Eastern Conference, and the lockout are the things that put us into the rebuild.

Lou tried to get Suter to make Parise happy and Suter wouldn't come here.
JVB's finances were a disaster and there were reports players were getting paid late in the 2012 playoffs.
Kovy became a hero in Russia during the lockout.

If those things don't happen, Clarkson probably would have had a few more years of a competitive team.

It is what it is. Right now we have the best prospect pool we have had in like 20 years. Once we get back to being a playoff team on a yearly basis, we won't have to talk about this crap anymore.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

Agreed. 28 goals two seasons ago, 25 last year... 18 points this season... but how can you judge anyone based off of the COVID season? The intense every-other-day schedule is not exactly kind to older players. He has four years left with a 7.5 mil cap hit but his real dollars are 6, 2, 1, and 1. The Wild need to re-sign Fiala, Eriksson Ek, and Kaprizov. Unless the Devils go nuts in free agency (they won't), we might need something to reach the cap floor. This team needs babysitters, Parise makes way less than his cap hit which makes him a good candidtate to help us reach the cap floor AND makes him a good candidate to have his contract traded if another teams needs the same thing in a year or two. Also, we could get an actual asset from the Wild for taking Parise's cap off their books. I honestly would welcome a reunion at this point.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Agreed. 28 goals two seasons ago, 25 last year... 18 points this season... but how can you judge anyone based off of the COVID season? The intense every-other-day schedule is not exactly kind to older players. He has four years left with a 7.5 mil cap hit but his real dollars are 6, 2, 1, and 1. The Wild need to re-sign Fiala, Eriksson Ek, and Kaprizov. Unless the Devils go nuts in free agency (they won't), we might need something to reach the cap floor. This team needs babysitters, Parise makes way less than his cap hit which makes him a good candidtate to help us reach the cap floor AND makes him a good candidate to have his contract traded if another teams needs the same thing in a year or two. Also, we could get an actual asset from the Wild for taking Parise's cap off their books. I honestly would welcome a reunion at this point.

I forgot about that lol, spirit of the rules my tit. They should be able to ditch him one way or another after next year then.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Parise is a bad player at this point and the Wild can't risk trading him at this stage because of cap recapture - if he retired, they'd be on the hook for millions in dead cap.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Parise is a bad player at this point and the Wild can't risk trading him at this stage because of cap recapture - if he retired, they'd be on the hook for millions in dead cap.

What's the cap recapture penalty for Parise? Seems like the one calculator that is not on CapFriendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad