Around The League 2021 season - part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Fleury outplayed Lehner and could win the Vezina, I don’t know if they’re going to trade him. Particularly if he plays well in the playoffs.

Well they have to move one (expansion, cap reasons) and the smart thing would be to move Fleury who is much older and has 2 million higher cap hit.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Well they have to move one (expansion, cap reasons) and the smart thing would be to move Fleury who is much older and has 2 million higher cap hit.

Vegas is not participating in the expansion draft.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Gallant? He supposedly interviewed for the Rangers gig..

I know some of you love him, but why does he have such a hard time keeping his job?
Florida was a dumb organization that made a lot of bad moves under Tom Rowe. He got them to their first playoff berth since we beat them in 2012 and was a Jack Adams finalist just a few months before he was fired.

Vegas panicked because their goaltending cost them some games and dropped them into the bubble when they were expected to be a powerhouse. Expectations were so high after his first year in Vegas that it was impossible to live up to.

He is admittedly a guy with pretty strong opinions and doesn't always seem to get along with others in the organization. As much as Dolan likes to get the big names I can't imagine those two egos will mesh. But there's no question he's one of the best coaches in the league. I think Seattle would be a much better fit for him but NYR are an attractive option for a coach and they can pay him whatever they want.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Angles, hands, wingspan ... work: How Auston Matthews became the best goal scorer of his generation

I know not everyone has The Athletic but this was an interesting article on what makes Matthews shooting so unique.

I remember an article when he was a rookie about how deep into his skates he could shoot a puck and how extreme his skill was. This article discussed how he is furthering his ability to shoot “odd” by incorporating the ability to shoot off either leg. Also, a talk with players and his skills coach about what and how they add new skills in.

Article also talked about how Matthews focus on having so many shots types could be the way of the future and maybe that is the first real counter to the unathletic butterfly goalie.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Angles, hands, wingspan ... work: How Auston Matthews became the best goal scorer of his generation

I know not everyone has The Athletic but this was an interesting article on what makes Matthews shooting so unique.

I remember an article when he was a rookie about how deep into his skates he could shoot a puck and how extreme his skill was. This article discussed how he is furthering his ability to shoot “odd” by incorporating the ability to shoot off either leg. Also, a talk with players and his skills coach about what and how they add new skills in.

Article also talked about how Matthews focus on having so many shots types could be the way of the future and maybe that is the first real counter to the unathletic butterfly goalie.

In the early days of the Corsi/Fenwick fights a lot of proponents for those stats would overstate their case and say shot quality didn't exist (instead of something like shooting%s year to year have variance). That's one argument that I don't think anyone is making anymore.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
In the early days of the Corsi/Fenwick fights a lot of proponents for those stats would overstate their case and say shot quality didn't exist (instead of something like shooting%s year to year have variance). That's one argument that I don't think anyone is making anymore.

Nobody said that, and if they did they were wrong then. They said at the team level shot quality is overwhelmed by luck, which is still, by and large, true. There's no way stats people looked at Alex Tanguay's numbers and concluded he was the luckiest player in the NHL.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

I think once the NHL gets the full tracking capabilities going that teams internally are going to have lots of takes on shot and pass quality that aren’t currently possible doing league wide.

I think teams will be able to isolate(a non-exhaustive list):

Who shoots well because they score frequently from areas others don’t.

Who doesn’t shoot well but gets into great shooting zones so has a good shooting percentage.

Who passes in a way that increases their linemates shooting percentage.

Who is shooting when they shouldn’t.

Who isn’t shooting when they’d should.

Whose passes are riskier than the possible reward.

Who is passing up high reward passes to make the ultra safe play.

Which defenseman allow the least amount of high reward/low risk pass opportunities.

———

There is going to be amazing, and useful data, from the tracking technology. I believe the Devils are going to be a team pushing hard at using it.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I think once the NHL gets the full tracking capabilities going that teams internally are going to have lots of takes on shot and pass quality that aren’t currently possible doing league wide.

Who doesn’t shoot well but gets into great shooting zones so has a good shooting percentage.

Which defenseman allow the least amount of high reward/low risk pass opportunities.

———

There is going to be amazing, and useful data, from the tracking technology. I believe the Devils are going to be a team pushing hard at using it.

talk about a bunch of useless info that can't possible be used in the correct context of game flow.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Nobody said that, and if they did they were wrong then. They said at the team level shot quality is overwhelmed by luck, which is still, by and large, true. There's no way stats people looked at Alex Tanguay's numbers and concluded he was the luckiest player in the NHL.

Well no true corsi/fenwick proponent claimed it but some did.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

———

Yeah ultimately corsi/fenwick rose because it was the data available and was much better than box score stats but once this stuff starts getting populated like you see in other sports you're probably gonna get real analytic breakdowns of scoring chances generated + prevented.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
So, on Friday night, I was so tired before I went to sleep that I clipped the fingernails on my left hand, but I forgot to clip the right hand, and ended up having to do that hand on Saturday. True story.
Id recommend seeing a psychiatrist. This to me sounds like the beginning of early stage Alzheimers.

Ive stayed at a Holiday Inn, and a few times at that; so im more than qualified

all joking aside f*** Alzheimers and dementia

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

———

Teams already are use a lot of data we don’t have. The types of passes, where they happen, are pretty critical and they track things like cross-slot passes. And who gives up those passes.

The question is are they going to make any of the tracking data public.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Teams already are use a lot of data we don’t have. The types of passes, where they happen, are pretty critical and they track things like cross-slot passes. And who gives up those passes.

The question is are they going to make any of the tracking data public.

Yea but they can’t track it for every team in the league and some of what they track has to be qualitative rather than quantitative.

Cross slot pass is important. Is it more or less important as the speed of the pass increases? When is the pass too hard? Who is good at handling the harder pass? Who passes it hard yet all the receivers handle his hard passes better than from others?

The volume and granularity is going to increase significantly and you’re going to be able to tease out lots of interesting things that you have no hope to track now. Especially for players on other teams.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Yea but they can’t track it for every team in the league and some of what they track has to be qualitative rather than quantitative.

Cross slot pass is important. Is it more or less important as the speed of the pass increases? When is the pass too hard? Who is good at handling the harder pass? Who passes it hard yet all the receivers handle his hard passes better than from others?

The volume and granularity is going to increase significantly and you’re going to be able to tease out lots of interesting things that you have no hope to track now. Especially for players on other teams.
Sounds like what Steve Valiquette called the "Royal road". I was one of the few on here that didn't hate him I think.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I was never a fan of advanced stats shot metrics. There are too many unreliable assumptions made in order to support them.

I'd like to see what positional analysis of events brings to the game in the future. Imagine if there is a 'shift' situation like MLB where numbers support new strategies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Rangers interviewed him too.

Also apparently Benning is not getting fired in Vancouver

I would love to hear the contract negotiations with VAN and Hughes and Elias “Toast” Petterson. If NJ wants a leg up on a long term deal with Jack this is the summer to open strong. You know Benning is likely to fumble the ball in VAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad