Around The League 2021 season - part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
lol at Kucherov being back for game 1 of the playoffs. Amazing, you'd think they'd want him to get into a game or two before the playoffs to shake off some rust.

which is exactly why the salary cap won’t hurt the teams against it that so many on here think it will. Please can we just stop with the “cap hell” argument lol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean not every team can just willy nilly sit it’s best player and cruise to the playoffs, you can’t say the cap is nbd because you can just sit guys with quasi phantom injuries when Tampa is one of the few teams with a stacked enough roster that can pull what they did without it having any actual consequences in the standings.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I mean not every team can just willy nilly sit it’s best player and cruise to the playoffs, you can’t say the cap is nbd because you can just sit guys with quasi phantom injuries when Tampa is one of the few teams with a stacked enough roster that can pull what they did without it having any actual consequences in the standings.

that’s just one creative way of doing this stuff there will be others and other ways. No team is going to be in cap trouble and give up a significant piece to get out of it. Some might consider a late first round pick significant but not me.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
that’s just one creative way of doing this stuff there will be others and other ways. No team is going to be in cap trouble and give up a significant piece to get out of it. Some might consider a late first round pick significant but not me.
And I guess you don’t consider the 13th pick in 2020 draft, which got Carolina Seth Jarvis, or Devon Toews, one of the top defensemen on the 2019-20 Isles and on the 2020-21 Avs, significant pieces.

It’s true through, no team has had to forfeit their entire season or even just had to give away all their best players because of cap issues. So checkmate, cap issues! (?)

Reactions: HBK27

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
And I guess you don’t consider the 13th pick in 2020 draft, which got Carolina Seth Jarvis, or Devon Toews, one of the top defensemen on the 2019-20 Isles and on the 2020-21 Avs, significant pieces.

It’s true through, no team has had to forfeit their entire season or even just had to give away all their best players because of cap issues. So checkmate, cap issues! (?)

So when is NJ going to get a return like this for having 40 million in cap space exactly? The Marleau move doesn't seem like it's gonna happen again, and I think the Devon Toews trade was maybe 60-70% Lou not realizing what he had and deciding to sell Toews over Leddy (or possibly being unwilling to pay a pick to unload Leddy). Toews seems like the biggest piece that had to be shed cause of cap reasons since Chicago had to unload Byfuglien.

The vast majority of NJ's attempts to weaponize space so far have fallen flat. I guess Palmieri trade is the biggest success story there.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So when is NJ going to get a return like this for having 40 million in cap space exactly? The Marleau move doesn't seem like it's gonna happen again, and I think the Devon Toews trade was maybe 60-70% Lou not realizing what he had and deciding to sell Toews over Leddy (or possibly being unwilling to pay a pick to unload Leddy). Toews seems like the biggest piece that had to be shed cause of cap reasons since Chicago had to unload Byfuglien.

The vast majority of NJ's attempts to weaponize space so far have fallen flat. I guess Palmieri trade is the biggest success story there.
I assume Lou would have moved Leddy if he could and he couldn’t. I thought the rumor was he was shopping him and Boychuk. Maybe I’m wrong and it was just Boychuk, I don’t breathlessly follow the NYI.

The cap crisis effects are mostly seen in the UFAs we signed having to take smaller deals and Columbus dumping Murray. I don’t know if the Devils ownership is into taking pure cap dumps and teams are dealing with this mostly by smaller new deals for RFAs, limiting spending on UFAs, buyouts etc

For example, I don’t know if other teams will gain major assets from the terrible cap disaster that is the Vancouver Canucks or does it just continue to make them worse. Do they just manage to give bridge deals to Pettersson, Hughes and Demko and survive, with almost no improvements, with buyouts and/or other minor cap relief moves? Maybe? But Benning crippled that team with cap miss-management. They lost players who wanted wanted to stay, who they needed and who they did not replace very well: Toffoli, after spending a 2nd & Madden on him, and Tanev, who turned out to be one best defensive defenseman around and key support for Quinn Hughes.

All contracts eventually end and Benning, or whoever, will stumble through this but they will have numerous holes to fill next season with roughly no cap space to spend. Will they successfully bribe Seattle to take Holtby’s contract off their hands? That’s the kind of depressing choices that await Benning, but I don’t know if the Devils will get anything out of them. (It be nice though.)

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

your right I don’t it took a shortened season with a pandemic play in round to get the canes that pick that low. Also he hasn’t even left juniors so yeah. Towes is good agreed I guess you can’t help it if you have a bad gm trading away players? Good own I think?

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Oilers optimistic resigning Larsson
Edmonton Oilers, Adam Larsson 'optimistic' on contract extension - TSN.ca
Rags to interview Gallant
New York Rangers granted permission to interview ex-Vegas Golden Knights coach Gerard Gallant - TSN.ca
Mitsubishi-Galant-VIII.jpg

Reactions: Darkauron

Camille the Eel

Yeah the Rags fans are calling for Gallant. Who may be the one to reap what Quinn built.

However, they are steeling themselves for the possible loss of Zibanejad. Now does anyone know is he an unrestricted free agent? If indeed he can walk, he will be the crown jewel of free agency this year. The guy is a stud, in my opinion. Big, fast, skilled, tough. Streaky yes. But his loss will dent them big time even if they do sign Eichel. I get into trouble comparing players, but having watched both Zibanejad and Eichel, I'd prefer the former on say, our team right now. Zibanejad is great on the power play and the PK too by the way. If we were somehow to obtain him - and I doubt we have the wherewithal or that even he is a free agent - he'd be a major upgrade on special teams in one blow.

File this under the rubric of speculation anyhow. And ill informed at that if in fact what the Rags are talking about is possibly moving him out via trade. Maybe it's a cap space issue.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
The cap crisis effects are mostly seen in the UFAs we signed having to take smaller deals and Columbus dumping Murray. I don’t know if the Devils ownership is into taking pure cap dumps and teams are dealing with this mostly by smaller new deals for RFAs, limiting spending on UFAs, buyouts etc

Yeah pretty low impact moves by and large. It's telling that this board's feeling going into the offseason is basically "stay the course" with a few wanting to open up the checkbook for Hamilton. Last year there were dreams of Sergachev, Cirelli, others. My basic dream is to get at least another 2nd for one year vets that teams want to dump (Marc Staal trade) but I don't really think having so much cap space will help THAT much, unless Fitz decides to go for some short term crazy high AAV contracts.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah pretty low impact moves by and large. It's telling that this board's feeling going into the offseason is basically "stay the course" with a few wanting to open up the checkbook for Hamilton. Last year there were dreams of Sergachev, Cirelli, others. My basic dream is to get at least another 2nd for one year vets that teams want to dump (Marc Staal trade) but I don't really think having so much cap space will help THAT much, unless Fitz decides to go for some short term crazy high AAV contracts.

It's very hard to predict where the league will be at because there's an expansion team coming in which will act as a release valve for ~$60-70M of contract money. Seattle has to select at least $48.9M in AAV. So, after that, we'll have a much better sense of who is still in trouble cap-wise and who is fine.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Gallant seems kind of picky. Seeing how well he did with Vegas it would make sense for another expansion team to hire him and hand him the keys.

As much as Dolan loves to go after the big fish, I don't think Gallant would mesh with him in terms of personality.

Reactions: Mgd31

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
wow they're paying about 13 million this year in buyouts!!!!

I hate to say it but they were actually smart about the buyouts. shatter Kirk and lundqvist are big hits this year, then much smaller next season when they actually need the space.

btw, if you want to see a crazy buyout, go to the Brad Richards contract. The Rangers ended up paying him $51 million to play 3 seasons. $17 million per year for Brad fricken Richards.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I hate to say it but they were actually smart about the buyouts. shatter Kirk and lundqvist are big hits this year, then much smaller next season when they actually need the space.

btw, if you want to see a crazy buyout, go to the Brad Richards contract. The Rangers ended up paying him $51 million to play 3 seasons. $17 million per year for Brad fricken Richards.

No they weren't. They had Panarin and Trouba in their primes and knew they were getting 2nd overall and they larded themselves up with a bunch of bad money. Shattenkirk's contract would've ended this year. Now maybe they came to Shattenkirk and wanted to move him and he said no, either buy me out or I'm staying, but other than that scenario, I don't think buying him out was smart at all.

Lundqvist I have more sympathy for because they wanted to do the right thing by him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.

thats f****** insane, especially because Brad basically said he wanted to play in NY before they even talked to him about a contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad