Around The League 2021 season - part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah pretty low impact moves by and large. It's telling that this board's feeling going into the offseason is basically "stay the course" with a few wanting to open up the checkbook for Hamilton. Last year there were dreams of Sergachev, Cirelli, others. My basic dream is to get at least another 2nd for one year vets that teams want to dump (Marc Staal trade) but I don't really think having so much cap space will help THAT much, unless Fitz decides to go for some short term crazy high AAV contracts.

I'd try to get VGK to offer NJ back the second round pick from the Gusev trade in return for NJ taking MAF. NJ needs a veteran goalie for next season and MAF has been excellent this season. NJ can absorb the cap hit. If VGK were willing to offer a second last year to move MAF presumably they might do so again? That would be a good win-win for NJ in my view.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I'd try to get VGK to offer NJ back the second round pick from the Gusev trade in return for NJ taking MAF. NJ needs a veteran goalie for next season and MAF has been excellent this season. NJ can absorb the cap hit. If VGK were willing to offer a second last year to move MAF presumably they might do so again? That would be a good win-win for NJ in my view.
I was just browsing capfriendly and I’m not sure if I read it right, but it looks like they only have 17 players under contract next year and have a whopping negative $5,066,000 to get to a 20 man roster. I’m sure they’ll magically have a retirement or equipment allergy save them, but I would take back a salary dump along with someone like Cal Foote...since we’re compiling all of the brothers and stuff.:sarcasm:

And to your original point about MAF, vegas has a little over 3 million under the cap for next year with 20 players under contract. I think teams need 20 players with a max of 23 on the roster, so vegas seems to be in decent shape with cap management and I don’t know if they need to attach picks to create more flexibility.

Reactions: My3Sons

Camille the Eel

My gosh Fleury - I would never even have dreamed of getting someone of his quality. From your thought to Gods ear is all I can say. We could build on a solid foundation on the back end, would instantly become more credible, plus he’s by all reports a great leader in the dressing room and with our young team that remains important.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I was just browsing capfriendly and I’m not sure if I read it right, but it looks like they only have 17 players under contract next year and have a whopping negative $5,066,000 to get to a 20 man roster. I’m sure they’ll magically have a retirement or equipment allergy save them, but I would take back a salary dump along with someone like Cal Foote...since we’re compiling all of the brothers and stuff.:sarcasm:

And to your original point about MAF, vegas has a little over 3 million under the cap for next year with 20 players under contract. I think teams need 20 players with a max of 23 on the roster, so vegas seems to be in decent shape with cap management and I don’t know if they need to attach picks to create more flexibility.

Maybe they want to bring back Alec Martinez? If they want to upgrade another area? Just throwing spaghetti at the wall.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Patrick converted to RW next to Nico...After swearing a lifetime ban, I'd drink Wild Turkey again if that happened.

Reactions: mdj12784

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Patrick had 9 points in 52 games and was a -30 this year (I hate plus minus but its just an interesting number)

imagine if we took him over Nico!??!

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I think Vegas is likely committed to Fleury another year given Lehner's ok season and Fleury's exceptional one. Fleury had better stats and started almost twice as many games as Lehner (who was out with an injury but the best ability is availability). Guys like Reilly Smith and Nick Holden I think they'll look to dump first, and if the Devils won't take him someone else will for something like a 2nd or their late 2021 1st.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
speaking of Vegas...I could see them making a run at Eichel this summer, especially if they don't win the Cup

might be challenging to fit the $$ but yeah

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No interest in Nolan Patrick. I know it's been a decade but at least at forward, for the foreseeable future, the Devils are done with reclamation projects.

Reactions: Mgd31 and Darkauron

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Guilty !
(I was team Patrick back when)

Me too, I had watched him in person during the 2016 WHL Finals during a visit to Seattle. I irrationally thought it was fate when we won the lottery that we'd be picking the guy I got to see the previous season.

Patrick's former WHL GM/coach Kelly McCrimmon is now the GM in Vegas. Although it seems like other reporters have dismissed that connection with regards to a potential trade partner.

Last edited:

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Me too, I had watched him in person during the 2016 WHL Finals during a visit to Seattle. I irrationally thought it was fate when we won the lottery that we'd be picking the guy I got to see the previous season.

Patrick's former WHL GM/coach Kelly McCrimmon is now the GM in Vegas. Although it seems like other reporters have dismissed that connection.
he's RFA and Vegas needs to shed some salary next season (from what I've read) maybe they send an overpriced forward to Philly for a bargain basement Patrick

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
he's RFA and Vegas needs to shed some salary next season (from what I've read) maybe they send an overpriced forward to Philly for a bargain basement Patrick

I'm not sure if Vegas has a middle six opening for Patrick, seems like they're waiting for Cody Glass to seize a permanent spot. Maybe Patrick's de facto hometown Winnipeg Jets? I haven't watched them much of late, but last I saw they were using Dubois on the wing rather than down the middle.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I'm not sure if Vegas has a middle six opening for Patrick, seems like they're waiting for Cody Glass to seize a permanent spot. Maybe Patrick's de facto hometown Winnipeg Jets? I haven't watched them much of late, but last I saw they were using Dubois on the wing rather than down the middle.
he's also listed as a RW, but I'm sure some team in cap hell will swap a bad contract for him, or at least try

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i'm not saying he would've turned out differently but drafted by a different team different situation you can't rule that out. i do wonder how many guys careers would've been better if they were drafted by a better organization or into a better situation for their game to develop.

Reactions: mdj12784

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
i'm not saying he would've turned out differently but drafted by a different team different situation you can't rule that out. i do wonder how many guys careers would've been better if they were drafted by a better organization or into a better situation for their game to develop.
I always look at Lindros, if he wouldve played for Quebec, would he have been leveled by Stevens, would his career have lasted longer? All the what-ifs!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I always look at Lindros, if he wouldve played for Quebec, would he have been leveled by Stevens, would his career have lasted longer? All the what-ifs!
Stevens would have leveled him in the 2001 SCF and we would have won the cup that year too.

Funny enough though, the guy he was traded for (Forsberg) was injured that playoffs and didn’t even play in the SCF against us.

Reactions: The 29th Pick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad