Around The League 2021 season - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
@JrFischer54 has a valid point on this. The players union does f*** all to negotiate increased player safety and stricter punishment for offenders. It seems evident to me that the players don’t really give a shit about themselves or their peers...

...until they are the ones suffering from long term CTE issues after they’ve already retired. Then all of a sudden they’re outspoken.

If they gave a shit any more than the league does they’d demand that the union prioritize player safety instead of the bank accounts of goons.

The way I look at it is they’re all disgusting. It’s a toxic North American hockey culture thing that transcends the league. They want the option to behave like Neanderthals (even if most of them don’t behave that way all the time).

insert the Michael scott thank you gif here lol.

When teams and players more importantly are more concerned about safety and not winning that’s when you will see Wilson Marchand not in the nhl anymore.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
ah so when you said nhl players needed to 'knock this shit out' and 'knock some sense into each other', you were saying they need to talk shit about each other to the media post game like some teenage bitches? yeah that'll solve the problem lol. it worked when mojo bitched about marchand, or when miller talked shit about lucic, or when everybody talks shit about tkachuk etc etc tec. oh wait. oooops
Furthermore you would be lying to yourself if a huge part of the nhl players wouldn’t want a guy like Wilson or Marchand on their team. So with that being said kinda defeats the woe is me players and the “someone will get killed out there” players clearly seem fine with it[/QUOTE]

if most players were ok playing without helmets, would that be ok too? if most people want to do away with seatbelts, we should get rid of that law? players (for the most part) are dumbasses or simply ignorant. their job is to chase a piece of rubber around a rink, it's the league's job to enforce rules to protect them as best they can. the league is f***ing up with their inconsistency, thus the debacle the other night at the garden.[/QUOTE]
You are right to a degree. I think what you’re missing is that the players union has actually pushed back against attempts by the league to enact harsher punishments against goon behavior. It’s not as simple as “if the league wants to put their foot down and do it, they can”. I mean yes in theory they could...but in practice they have to negotiate these decisions with the players/union.

Both parties are not interested in making the compromises or sacrifices (read:$$) to make the necessary changes. At least that’s my perception based on their behavior.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's not a balet, Hischier got hit with a puck by his own teammate, shit happens.

What a stupid take. You're comparing a deflected puck hitting someone in the face to someone intentionally injuring another player. It's like saying murder isn't a big deal because you can die in a car accident, shit happens.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The Canadian division excuse is pretty overblown. The bottom two teams in the Central, bottom two in the Pacific, and bottom three in the East all have a worst goal differential than VAN and OTT.

The top 10 scoring teams in the league (GF/G):
2 East
2 North
3 West
3 Central

The bottom 10 defensive teams in the league (GA/G):
3 East
2 North
3 West
2 Central

The North has 5 teams in the top half of best GA/G in the league.
The excuse for what, individual success? General scoring? Overall competitiveness?

It’s a less competitive division specifically for the playoff spot for the most obvious reason, they only have 7 teams. (That’s why this season has driven Canadian GM mental, not making the playoffs feels like a potentially fireable offensive for everybody but Dorion.)

I look at the competition for the fourth playoff spot as the best tell for how good a division is. My problem with Scotia North is 1) that after their much celebrated 9-4-2 start the Habs have been 15-16-7, 99 GF 118 GA, 2) the Habs weirdly look better than the Jets, who have imploded in their 1-7-0 death spiral, 14 GF 28 GA, but the Jets have two games left with the Canucks so they may still come in 3rd.

The Jets have fewest regulation wins (22), smallest goal differential (+13) and fewest points (9 less then the 4th place NYI and 12 less than BOS/MIN). They do have four games left though. Hellebuyck can only do so much with a defense this atrocious though and the whole team is a mess.

Montreal has 20 regulation wins, -6 goal differential and two less points then the Jets with one less game left. I guess you can debate which divisions have worse fourth place team.

The Athletic power rankings has 12) NYI 13) STL 14) NSH 15) MTL 16) WPG 17) NYR 18) DAL 19) PHI.

I’m not going just by that, the overall points it takes to make the playoffs in the 4th spot is easiest way to see the competitive mean. The East is the most competitive and we’ll have to see where the other divisions end up. The Discover Central still looks like the second most competitive to me. Each team only plays each other teams 8 or 9 times, the extremes at each end matter less.

Reactions: TheDuke93

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
What a stupid take. You're comparing a deflected puck hitting someone in the face to someone intentionally injuring another player. It's like saying murder isn't a big deal because you can die in a car accident, shit happens.
You might get in trouble for saying its a stupid take.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Hisch13r

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
The excuse for what, individual success? General scoring? Overall competitiveness?

It’s a less competitive division specifically for the playoff spot for the most obvious reason, they only have 7 teams. (That’s why this season has driven Canadian GM mental, not making the playoffs feels like a potentially fireable offensive for everybody but Dorion.)

I look at the competition for the fourth playoff spot as the best tell for how good a division is. My problem with Scotia North is 1) that after their much celebrated 9-4-2 start the Habs have been 15-16-7, 99 GF 118 GA, 2) the Habs weirdly look better than the Jets, who have imploded in their 1-7-0 death spiral, 14 GF 28 GA, but the Jets have two games left with the Canucks so they may still come in 3rd.

The Jets have fewest regulation wins (22), smallest goal differential (+13) and fewest points (9 less then the 4th place NYI and 12 less than BOS/MIN). They do have four games left though. Hellebuyck can only do so much with a defense this atrocious though and the whole team is a mess.

Montreal has 20 regulation wins, -6 goal differential and two less points then the Jets with one less game left. I guess you can debate which divisions have worse fourth place team.

The Athletic power rankings has 12) NYI 13) STL 14) NSH 15) MTL 16) WPG 17) NYR 18) DAL 19) PHI.

I’m not going just by that, the overall points it takes to make the playoffs in the 4th spot is easiest way to see the competitive mean. The East is the most competitive and we’ll have to see where the other divisions end up. The Discover Central still looks like the second most competitive to me. Each team only plays each other teams 8 or 9 times, the extremes at each end matter less.
Also factoring in last years results our "east" division has 6 of the 16 total point earners from last year.

Reactions: Guttersniped

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia

Intentionally? Is he really injured? Wilson was jumped by 2 guys, I'm sure he should just let them beat the shit out of him. I'm sure you would do the same if someone attacked you.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Think McJesus hits 100 ? Didn’t he almost sever his leg off during last game of the season in 2019? There is no way I dress him if it’s a meaningless game where it doesn’t effect their position in the division. But at the same time , I wouldn’t want to piss him off. Having an unhappy superstar on your team is probably not a good thing.
If the last game or two are games needed to win though , I play him and if the outcome of the game is already decided , I staple him to the bench. No way I’d risk him getting injured or it’s bye bye first round in the playoffs.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Think McJesus hits 100 ? Didn’t he almost sever his leg off during last game of the season in 2019? There is no way I dress him if it’s a meaningless game where it doesn’t effect their position in the division. But at the same time , I wouldn’t want to piss him off. Having an unhappy superstar on your team is probably not a good thing.
If the last game or two are games needed to win though , I play him and if the outcome of the game is already decided , I staple him to the bench. No way I’d risk him getting injured or it’s bye bye first round in the playoffs.

never understood the willingness to sit players the final game of the season. Why then? Do it the game before if it’s meaningless too? Just play I say

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's called load management, it's the same thing the NBA does only the obvious playoff teams do it in the middle of the season there. But you also don't want guys to get rusty either, that's why they don't sit 2-3 games.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's called load management, it's the same thing the NBA does only the obvious playoff teams do it in the middle of the season there. But you also don't want guys to get rusty either, that's why they don't sit 2-3 games.

Wish we practiced some load management in net. That talk about using all our goalies due to the schedule crunch never really happened.

Reactions: Guttersniped

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
E06vXvdVUAAg2Vt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad