Around The League 2021 season - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
This is absurd

how can you possibly think that a bad team with no cap space is the same as a bad team with a boatload of cap space?

they also do not have nearly the promising young players that the Devils do

If the sharks finish bottom 5 for the next 5 years was it because their salary cap hurt them or because they are just bad?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If the sharks finish bottom 5 for the next 5 years was it because their salary cap hurt them or because they are just bad?

the salary cap absolutely impacts what moves they will and won't be able to make for the next 2-3 years. They also will be forced to play these declining players.

Stating otherwise is absurd

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
the salary cap absolutely impacts what moves they will and won't be able to make for the next 2-3 years. They also will be forced to play these declining players.

Stating otherwise is absurd

I’m not denying that and using us as an example we played horrible cheap declining players during our rebuild and the result was/will be the same. It will all depend on how well the teams draft with their high picks. What did the devils do with all that cap space Get a second or third round pick for someone? Get a gusov or mojo for some second rounders how well did that work out? It’s just more hf nonsense about the cap.

so what move will their high cap hit keep them from making. They are a bad team so there is no easy fix for them.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’d waaaaaaay rather be in our position we are in now than have the Sharks roster or quite a few teams actually . Considering NHL roster , prospects and picks , without a doubt the Devils . There are not many teams I would swap our roster (nhl and all players that you own the rights to).
Let alone the fact that I have become attached to players like Hischier Hughes Smith Blackwood Sharangovich Bratt Severson etc etc .
Maybe if I had to I’d swap with Edmonton (just for McD and Drai)
Kings and their prospect pool is pretty damn good but I’d still stick with the Devils just because I am already invested in wanting all the current players to succeed.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’d waaaaaaay rather be in our position we are in now than have the Sharks roster or quite a few teams actually . Considering NHL roster , prospects and picks , without a doubt the Devils . There are not many teams I would swap our roster (nhl and all players that you own the rights to).
Let alone the fact that I have become attached to players like Hischier Hughes Smith Blackwood Sharangovich Bratt Severson etc etc .
Maybe if I had to I’d swap with Edmonton (just for McD and Drai)
Kings and their prospect pool is pretty damn good but I’d still stick with the Devils just because I am already invested in wanting all the current players to succeed.

No duh of course everyone would pick the devils entering year 7 of the rebuild with 2 #1 picks on the roster. That’s not the question.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
You can try and imagine what the Sharks would do if all their bad long term deals were in fact one year deals to see how it hurts them. They'd probably try and build around Hertl and Meier and I'm not even sure that's the best path forward for them. Maybe finally getting decent goaltending would be all they need to challenge for the playoffs, and they'd learn that with Jones jettisoned.

Basically they'd have the choice to do a rebuild instead of being forced into one. I honestly don't know if that's better but the next 3 years are probably gonna be brutal for them and it's unavoidable. Long term might be fine, possibly preferred but their long term deals are forcing their hand.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
You can try and imagine what the Sharks would do if all their bad long term deals were in fact one year deals to see how it hurts them. They'd probably try and build around Hertl and Meier and I'm not even sure that's the best path forward for them. Maybe finally getting decent goaltending would be all they need to challenge for the playoffs, and they'd learn that with Jones jettisoned.

Basically they'd have the choice to do a rebuild instead of being forced into one. I honestly don't know if that's better but the next 3 years are probably gonna be brutal for them and it's unavoidable. Long term might be fine, possibly preferred but their long term deals are forcing their hand.

If anything their rebuild With their level of nhl talent will probably keep their kids in the minors longer to develop and they won’t feel the need to rush them.

just tired of the doom and gloom hf salary cap wizards on here. You would think you guys could get hired by some of these nhl teams with how cap aware you all are.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

If SJ built around Hertl and Meier they likely wouldn’t do that well. You need a better core than those two seem to offer based on my casual observation. At this point SJ can either play the declining vets and rebuild voluntarily or play the declining vets and rebuild involuntarily. Unless the ye get lucky it’s likely the same either way to me.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If anything their rebuild With their level of nhl talent will probably keep their kids in the minors longer to develop and they won’t feel the need to rush them.

just tired of the doom and gloom hf salary cap wizards on here. You would think you guys could get hired by some of these nhl teams with how cap aware you all are.

I think it's overstated around here, but there are definitely dumb contracts you can sign that force you to give top your RFAs bridge deals or worse, but LTIR seems to help you avoid true bad contract cap hell. A global pandemic shockingly lead to a flat cap post deadline and it seemed to not really hurt many teams at all.

I'd like to see what Fitz does this offseason to leverage the Devils' cap space before I say it can't really help speed up a rebuild at all cause you can only draft and pray, but last offseason where the cap space was leveraged by adding Murray/Johnsson in dumps was not inspiring.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I like Hertl and Meier but if they're your core players you do not have good hockey team. I don't even think Meier as is, is good enough to be a core player on a contender.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

A team is going to hire a person because they know enough to see that having the 34 yo Vlasic for five more years at 7m is bad? Particularly since he currently plays on their third pairings and had a NMC for two more years. And particularly since that’s on top of 6 more years of Karlsson at 11.5m (who’s only 30 but gimpy) and 4 more years of the 36 yo Burns at 8m.

26.5m million is 32.5% of the current frozen cap and that’s rough, particularly since Vlasic has fallen off a cliff. If they can get Seattle to take Burns that would help. (Burns doesn’t have a NMC so he can be exposed.)

And Kane debt situation got weird, I don’t know if he would really terminate his deal though. (It didn’t make sense to me, the dude’s not getting close to 4 years/7m elsewhere, but the whole thing was weird.) And 6 more years of Couture at 8m too. It’s all rough.

Cap management isn’t pointing and saying “contract bad”. I don’t know what you thought people said would happen or what you expected to have happen to teams with major cap issues. Not play at play? Have give away all their best players? The are variety of moves and sacrifices that Wilson and others can/have to make to become cap compliant. And free agents are getting a lot less $. Everyone doesn’t drop dead from problems, it doesn’t mean there not problems.

The good news for SJ is the don’t have to figure out how to pay Tim Stutzle or Josh Norris soon since that’s Ottawa’s problem now. (Winning the draft lottery in 2022 or 2023 will help any team perk up though.)

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
A global pandemic shockingly lead to a flat cap post deadline and it seemed to not really hurt many teams at all.
It really was not surprising that the flat cap did not hurt many teams last offseason. The GMs were only $2 mil or so short from what they were projecting with respect to cap space. This season will be $4 or so less so less than they were projecting 2 years ago so it could hurt. The other point is that teams do not have to go out and sign UFA wings to a big contract as example, but they will have to give their good young players coming ELCs raises, which should make more veteran players available to teams with cap space. We can hope anyways!

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
A team is going to hire a person because they know enough to see that having the 34 yo Vlasic for five more years at 7m is bad? Particularly since he currently plays on their third pairings and had a NMC for two more years. And particularly since that’s on top of 6 more years of Karlsson at 11.5m (who’s only 30 but gimpy) and 4 more years of the 36 yo Burns at 8m.

26.5m million is 32.5% of the current frozen cap and that’s rough, particularly since Vlasic has fallen off a cliff. If they can get Seattle to take Burns that would help. (Burns doesn’t have a NMC so he can be exposed.)

And Kane debt situation got weird, I don’t know if he would really terminate his deal though. (It didn’t make sense to me, the dude’s not getting close to 4 years/7m elsewhere, but the whole thing was weird.) And 6 more years of Couture at 8m too. It’s all rough.

Cap management isn’t pointing and saying “contract bad”. I don’t know what you thought people said would happen or what you expected to have happen to teams with major cap issues. Not play at play? Have give away all their best players? The are variety of moves and sacrifices that Wilson and others can/have to make to become cap compliant. And free agents are getting a lot less $. Everyone doesn’t drop dead from problems, it doesn’t mean there not problems.

The good news for SJ is the don’t have to figure out how to pay Tim Stutzle or Josh Norris soon since that’s Ottawa’s problem now. (Winning the draft lottery in 2022 or 2023 will help any team perk up though.)
Yo that last part is a low blow LOL.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
If SJ built around Hertl and Meier they likely wouldn’t do that well. You need a better core than those two seem to offer based on my casual observation. At this point SJ can either play the declining vets and rebuild voluntarily or play the declining vets and rebuild involuntarily. Unless the ye get lucky it’s likely the same either way to me.

See, and there's I think the worry for some fans... because I LOVE both Hertl and Meier. When viewed as the 4th/5th pieces behind whatever mix you like of Thornton/Pavelski/Karlsson/Burns etc, they looked like the new core coming to bring years of success.

All of a sudden, when you're hanging your hat on Hertl (hmm Dr Seuss-ish there) as your top-liner, they look like garbage.

I think there's a bit of fear that we might overrate our core too here.... and that's where the savvy cap management should make the difference.

The abridged version is: Don't pay a mint for a way-overrated offensive defenseman who can't play defense and can't skate like he did before injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad