Around The League 2021-22 season - part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Didn't realize just how long Maurice has been coaching.

Been a head coach in the league since 1995 and is still only 55 years old.

Has a 801 (W) - 702 (L) - 99 (T) - 136 (OTL) regular season record, so he's above NHL .500 but really below real .500.

1655908277257.png

Reactions: Guttersniped

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's up on TSN now too: Panthers in process of hiring Maurice as head coach - TSN.ca

No idea why Florida would fire Brunette, who I thought did a pretty good job. Yes they disappointed somewhat in the playoffs, but you don't fire the coach immediately for that, unless it happens a few years in a row.

Eh, he was an interim coach. Florida went all in to try to win this season - to the point that they only have one 2nd round pick and no 1st rounders in the next 3 drafts. They looked like crap for much of the Washington series against clearly the weakest team in the East. They needed a late goal with the goalie pulled and an OT winner to avoid going down 3-1 in the series and another OT goal to win it. They outscored the Caps by a single goal in the series. Then they proceeded to get swept by Tampa, scoring 3 goals in 4 games despite scoring 13% more goals than any other team in the regular season. The Panthers looked like complete dogshit in the playoffs, so I don't have a problem with a change being made behind the bench. And technically, I don't think Brunette was actually fired, he just wasn't offered the HC position.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's up on TSN now too: Panthers in process of hiring Maurice as head coach - TSN.ca

No idea why Florida would fire Brunette, who I thought did a pretty good job. Yes they disappointed somewhat in the playoffs, but you don't fire the coach immediately for that, unless it happens a few years in a row.
I was one of the only people that said after the second round sweep that I could see him not coming back or at least not becoming the permanent head coach.

Actually, I said I thought he was gone if they did not get out of round one, but that if they won a round it might be hard for them to justify firing him. After they got swept in round two I said I could still see him not coming back.

After a couple of his assistants were fired a couple weeks ago, while they didn't say he was or wasn't fired, that seemed to be the writing on the wall for him. It seemed like they would hire somebody experienced (Trotz) and if they couldn't get who they wanted, he would be back. Paul Maurice came out of nowhere though, I didn't hear anything about him before today.

I'm not in the least bit shocked.

Friedman actually said something about some Finnish guy (who has no NHL head coaching experience) and them having interest in him being the next head coach and I thought that was odd since I really didn't think they would move on from Brunette unless it was really someone BIG like Trotz or I guess Maurice would qualify as someone BIG in this case.

Kevin Weekes was saying from the beginning right after Quenneville resigned (like that very same night) that Torts was a real candidate, so I was expecting him to come through the door within a few days, but it never happened and I never heard anything about Torts being linked to there again.

It seems like they want an experienced, big name head coach that's been around a while and Quenneville was that, but Andrew Brunette was not.

So much for Paul Maurice stepping down from Winnipeg because he wanted to take some time off and maybe even retire from coaching and how his presser sounded like a retirement speech. I clearly remember saying after that happened that I could see him back in the NHL as early as next season.

Reactions: HBK27

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Eh, he was an interim coach. Florida went all in to try to win this season - to the point that they only have one 2nd round pick and no 1st rounders in the next 3 drafts. They looked like crap for much of the Washington series against clearly the weakest team in the East. They needed a late goal with the goalie pulled and an OT winner to avoid going down 3-1 in the series and another OT goal to win it. They outscored the Caps by a single goal in the series. Then they proceeded to get swept by Tampa, scoring 3 goals in 4 games despite scoring 13% more goals than any other team in the regular season. The Panthers looked like complete dogshit in the playoffs, so I don't have a problem with a change being made behind the bench. And technically, I don't think Brunette was actually fired, he just wasn't offered the HC position.
Yeah, they were completely underwhelming against Washington. I think game 2 was their only really convincing win like the ones they kept pulling out of their ass with ease probably 30-40 times during the regular season.

And their power play didn't score at all in the first round.

I think they finally scored a power play goal against Tampa in the second round. It was one of their 3 goals in the entire series.

I don't know if I would blame Brunette, but I said from early in that series that he's almost definitely out of there if they don't win a round.

I think someone else will hire him pretty shortly in the next couple of weeks to be an assistant coach. He probably won't get a head coaching job this offseason, just because there's not many jobs open, (and Trotz is still out there) but look out if the team that hires him to be an assistant has a head coach potentially on the hot seat.

Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sharks hired him to be the head coach. I'm highly skeptical Bob Boughner is coming back and that whenever the new GM is hired he won't bring his own guy in and fire Boughner.

Really, only Boston, Detroit and Winnipeg have vacancies and Boston already seems to know who they want and it seems Jay Leach is the guy with a possibility of David Quinn. Winnipeg is all in for Trotz. I'm not sure what Detroit does, but a couple weeks ago Sergei Fedorov was apparently the heavy favorite. It almost felt like Lane Lambert was damn near a lock to go there, but then Lou fired Trotz and promoted Lane Lambert to replace him.

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The Florida move is the classic GM wanting to select his own guy move. Q and Brunette pre-dated Zito in Florida. So he is taking the opportunity of having a caretaker coach in Brunette to select his own guy.

I don’t know how much credit Brunette should get given they were 7-0 when Q had to step down and I doubt Brunette made any systems changes at all. That said there is something to be said for keeping a train on the tracks. I’m not sure Maurice is an upgrade regardless.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maurice is one of the most popular head coaches in the league to have never won anything.

When you look at the head coaches that have been a head coach in the NHL over the last 20 years or so that currently have jobs, I think almost all of them won the cup at least one time.

Sutter, Torts, Trotz, Laviolette. I'm even gonna include that piece of shit Quenneville (sexual assault is fine! As long as it doesn't get in the way of my cup!) here because he was/is still under contract to be a head coach in the NHL as of this year and he's been a head coach in the NHL for 20+ years. You can also include Claude Julien in this, but it looks like his days of being an NHL head coach might be over, but his name still pops up from time to time.

When you look at the two head coaches that had already gotten their first head coaching job in the NHL at least 20 years ago (maybe even 15 years really) that haven't won the cup, the two names that stick out are Paul Maurice and .......... Wait for it....... Lindy Ruff.

But Ruff was only head coach for two NHL teams before he got here. He's been head coach for fewer teams than Gerard Gallant has. And Ruff went 3 seasons in a row without a head coaching job before we hired him and brought him back from the NHL head coaching dead at 60 years old. Paul Maurice did go a few years between stints a couple of times, but he was also much younger and there was even the one year lockout during his longest stint without an NHL head coaching job.

Although, Dave Tippett and Alain Vigneault started as head coaches in the NHL about 20 years ago, but it looks like we've seen the last of them.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I have a feeling Hellebuyck will be available . Now that Dubois has said he is going to UFA and not signing in Winnipeg . I think that Hellebuyck decides he is not going to tough it out in Winnipeg if the team is losing two key pieces .
This could be a monumental off season .

I have a feeling we are going to do some crazy shit here . As in signing Gaudreau or trading for Tkachuk or Hellebuyck or signing multiple guys like Marchment Neiderrieder . I just think the roster is going to look drastically different ( better )
I’m pumped but also concerned as our cap Soave and roster flexibility will probably go bye-bye .

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
have a feeling Hellebuyck will be available . Now that Dubois has said he is going to UFA and not signing in Winnipeg . I think that Hellebuyck decides he is not going to tough it out in Winnipeg if the team is losing two key pieces .
Dubois is not a UFA until 2024. Jets do not have to trade Helly because he does not want to "tough it out". I remember you guys saying Tank had to be traded because he wanted out. Looked like he stayed and played fine to me.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Dubois is not a UFA until 2024. Jets do not have to trade Helly because he does not want to "tough it out". I remember you guys saying Tank had to be traded because he wanted out. Looked like he stayed and played fine to me.
It’s easy to hold onto a guy until the TDL the year he hits UFA. StL is winning which cures many ills. If WPG is winning they will be able to get some guys to reconsider. If they are trending down it will be tough to just let those guys walk. My guess is they try to hold it together and hope the team rebounds so guys will reconsider. I don’t see WPG wanting to go through a full year down rebuild like NJ. They have to see how tough it is to turn that corner.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I have a feeling Hellebuyck will be available . Now that Dubois has said he is going to UFA and not signing in Winnipeg . I think that Hellebuyck decides he is not going to tough it out in Winnipeg if the team is losing two key pieces .

I have a feeling we are going to do some crazy shit here . As in signing Gaudreau or trading for Tkachuk or Hellebuyck or signing multiple guys like Marchment Neiderrieder . I just think the roster is going to look drastically different ( better )
I’m pumped but also concerned as our cap Soave and roster flexibility will probably go bye-bye .

I would be interested in acquiring Hellebuyck, but I fear what they'd ask in return. Might be worth it to stabilize our goaltending for a few years though.

Reactions: Bleedred

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I would be interested in acquiring Hellebuyck, but I fear what they'd ask in return. Might be worth it to stabilize our goaltending for a few years though.
I would not give up much for him. His last 3 seasons he is .922, .916, and .910. If he continues the trend he is not worth giving much up for IMO.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Fitz should offer sheet Nic Roy
I had the same thought. Something tells me 31 teams are looking at the slew of VGK RFAs and UFAs right about now. Based on the holdback on the contract for Smith I'd say they are aware of it too. Offer sheet him at $3 -$3.5 mil with some term and they will have a hard time matching.

Reactions: Mgd31

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Fitz should offer sheet Nic Roy

Not sure if we'd be an attractive landing spot for him (we already have too many forwards), but it seems like Vegas might be priced out on him. Wonder if Vegas deals him before free agency starts. Cliched thought might be Montreal who have a bajillion picks although they might need to keep a spot open for Wright. Or maybe somebody like Ottawa who probably aren't bringing back Chris Tierney and might trade Colin White.

Reactions: Mgd31

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

i promise you it will be ok. there is no need to worry about the cap and flexibility.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I had the same thought. Something tells me 31 teams are looking at the slew of VGK RFAs and UFAs right about now. Based on the holdback on the contract for Smith I'd say they are aware of it too. Offer sheet him at $3 -$3.5 mil with some term and they will have a hard time matching.
Roy and Hague. Too good big boys for Fitzy.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad