Around The League 2021-22 season - part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Going through the Flyers subreddit is hilarious. There’s some people that are going heavy on the copium with Risto

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
interesting that campbell and ned are in there. weren't they touted as really good goalies during the 1st half of the season? seems like they're regressing to the mean, in terms of sv%
Yeah, both have fallen off, although Campbell is still quite above average on the whole season. He was like a .928% or something for the first few months, which I think it's safe to say he was playing over his head. That was bound to come down.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Going through the Flyers subreddit is hilarious. There’s some people that are going heavy on the copium with Risto

Loved to bet on Philly yesterday and watch how Montreal scored the game-tying goal with 30 seconds left...

Ristolainen, just an absolute beauty. Vacate the net-front to crash into the boards (where your D-partner already is) for no apparent reason? I mean, why not?

Reactions: Hisch13r

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
In general, team subreddits encourage delusional positivity due to the upvote system. I'm guilty of posting in them too but you gotta put things in perspective.

The Flyers seem to be like us under Hynes, particularly when it comes to their offensive style (heavy on redirects and uncommon but high-percentage plays) and playing like turtles when they have a lead in the third. The result is tons of blown leads and loser's points. Keeping Yeo as the interim coach after firing AV was insanity.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In general, team subreddits encourage delusional positivity due to the upvote system. I'm guilty of posting in them too but you gotta put things in perspective.

The Flyers seem to be like us under Hynes, particularly when it comes to their offensive style (heavy on redirects and uncommon but high-percentage plays) and playing like turtles when they have a lead in the third. The result is tons of blown leads and loser's points. Keeping Yeo as the interim coach after firing AV was insanity.
Yeo is as bad of a head coach as AV.

I'm not sure he would have ever been hired again as a head coach in the NHL, other than in an interim role, after the Blues won the cup later on in the same season he was fired.

And that wasn't even his first head coaching job in the league.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Would you guys take Fleury as one of our goalies next year? I think he is at the point where he would take security over chasing $$.
If we offered him more length of contract than other teams , I could see him consider it. For example , if other teams only offer him one year deal , and we offer him 2/3 with a NMC . I know a lot of you would cringe at the thought of a multi-year deal for him , but I would consider it IF ( and its a big IF) there is no other legit starter out there.
I know that it has the potential to get messy if giving him that term but I honestly dont know what else is out there for a goalie.
I would almost go as far as to offer up our 1st round pick for a starter. ONLY if Jirichek Nemec and Slafkovski are all gone when we pick .

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Would you guys take Fleury as one of our goalies next year? I think he is at the point where he would take security over chasing $$.
If we offered him more length of contract than other teams , I could see him consider it. For example , if other teams only offer him one year deal , and we offer him 2/3 with a NMC . I know a lot of you would cringe at the thought of a multi-year deal for him , but I would consider it IF ( and its a big IF) there is no other legit starter out there.
A 2 or 3 year deal for a goalie that turns 38 years old early next season? That has Crawford/Bernier written all over it.

Reactions: BurntToast

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
A 2 or 3 year deal for a goalie that turns 38 years old early next season? That has Crawford/Bernier written all over it.
I know , I know ,but what else can we do ? Holtby ? Husso? ( that will have multiple teams offering huge $$$ , if he makes it to UFA)
There are zero players available that I would be ok with . Its vital to find a good goalie. As in our entire season next year depends on it. I cannot think of one goalie that "might" be available that I would bet next season on . Fleury is not ideal but th eonly guy I feel somewhat comfortable with. If Blackwood doesnt bounce back.... we need someone to carry the work load. Husso has a very small sample size and has never been a starter in the NHL. Thatys a big gamble to take. Maybe Campbell is another risky possibility ?? I dont think he can mentally handle being a starter and pressure to carry a team .
If I was Fitz , I would be asking Brodeur to give MAF a call and see what his thoughts would be on playing in NJ for the next couple of years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know , I know ,but what else can we do ? Holtby ? Husso? ( that will have multiple teams offering huge $$$ , if he makes it to UFA)
There are zero players available that I would be ok with . Its vital to find a good goalie. As in our entire season next year depends on it. I cannot think of one goalie that "might" be available that I would bet next season on . Fleury is not ideal but th eonly guy I feel somewhat comfortable with. If Blackwood doesnt bounce back.... we need someone to carry the work load. Husso has a very small sample size and has never been a starter in the NHL. Thatys a big gamble to take. Maybe Campbell is another risky possibility ?? I dont think he can mentally handle being a starter and pressure to carry a team .
If I was Fitz , I would be asking Brodeur to give MAF a call and see what his thoughts would be on playing in NJ for the next couple of years.
Holtby is terrible and washed up. He hasn't gotten to play in enough games in the new calendar year to prove his play earlier this year was a fluke, like Quick, Gibson and Bobrovsky (kind of with Bobrovsky) have.

He's one of the last guys I'd want. He's also a bit injury riddled these days.

Fleury's been okay this year, but I can't see giving him a multi-year deal.

I still think we're gonna end up with someone we least expect, who we will have never even seen coming. Maybe I'm just being overly-optimistic..

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Holtby is terrible and washed up. He hasn't gotten to play in enough games in the new calendar year to prove his play earlier this year was a fluke, like Quick, Gibson and Bobrovsky (kind of with Bobrovsky) have.

He's one of the last guys I'd want. He's also a bit injury riddled these days.

Fleury's been okay this year, but I can't see giving him a multi-year deal.

I still think we're gonna end up with someone we least expect, who we will have never even seen coming. Maybe I'm just being overly-optimistic..

Fleury's not coming here anyway. He's only going to a legit contender or is retiring

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fleury's not coming here anyway. He's only going to a legit contender or is retiring
I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in Chicago if he really likes it, since he's already settled there, but I doubt he'd go back there if they trade him at the deadline.

There was a lot of talk right after he was traded there that he was leaning towards just retiring, but then he came out and said he was gonna play.

There's too many BAD goalies (everybody that isn't elite is bad) and too many teams that need goalies that are in danger of missing the playoffs, so I think he will be moved. They'd be stupid not to.

At the very least he could be a Vanbiesbrouck to the Devils type option for a team that has a suitable but overworked starter that they want to rest down the stretch. I'm thinking Nashville (even though I can't really see him going there) or maybe a swap for Francouz to Colorado, even though Francouz has played more than fine since coming back from a year plus injury layoff.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Here’s a chart of injuries by cap hit from a Vegas Athletic article. (People who discuss recent Vegas’ losing tend to ignore Pacioretty, Smith, McNabb, Martinez and Janmark being out, as well as Stone and Lehner.

Bad goaltending, with a bunch of top scorers plus key defensemen & their top elite two-way forward out makes life difficult.

910E3FEA-487C-4918-B612-05C1EF9967AF.png

I think you can see our logo’s red bit sticking out on top of the Flyers’ logo. I guess with Hamilton’s salary plus Bernier out forever we did pretty well for ourselves.

I knew Calgary was comically healthy and the Rangers are underneath the Wild & Bruins, they’ve been pretty healthy (and do well with this metric since Blais makes 1.5m & Kakko is on his ELC).

You can see us pretty high in 18-19 (Hall’s knee, Cory missed Oct recovering from surgery and then was on the IR for a month after sucking in his 9 first games, and Mojo missed 12 games which qualifies as a healthy season for him with us.)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in Chicago if he really likes it, since he's already settled there, but I doubt he'd go back there if they trade him at the deadline.

There was a lot of talk right after he was traded there that he was leaning towards just retiring, but then he came out and said he was gonna play.

There's too many BAD goalies (everybody that isn't elite is bad) and too many teams that need goalies that are in danger of missing the playoffs, so I think he will be moved. They'd be stupid not to.

At the very least he could be a Vanbiesbrouck to the Devils type option for a team that has a suitable but overworked starter that they want to rest down the stretch. I'm thinking Nashville (even though I can't really see him going there) or maybe a swap for Francouz to Colorado, even though Francouz has played more than fine since coming back from a year plus injury layoff.
The reason I heard was that Fleury was wary of being traded was he he wanted to play next season for a team of his choosing and wanted the whole off-season to prep for next season. I don’t believe he’s staying in Chicago, they won’t be good next year. If Kane leaves they will be much worse.

That was roughly the logic in the rumor, I have no desire to debate it, particularly since he might get traded anyway.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Here’s a chart of injuries by cap hit from a Vegas Athletic article. (People who discuss recent Vegas’ losing tend to ignore Pacioretty, Smith, McNabb, Martinez and Janmark being out, as well as Stone and Lehner.

Bad goaltending, with a bunch of top scorers plus key defensemen & their top elite two-way forward out makes life difficult.

View attachment 515374

I think you can see our logo’s red bit sticking out on top of the Flyers’ logo. I guess with Hamilton’s salary plus Bernier out forever we did pretty well for ourselves.

I knew Calgary was comically healthy and the Rangers are underneath the Wild & Bruins, they’ve been pretty healthy (and do well with this metric since Blais makes 1.5m & Kakko is on his ELC).

You can see us pretty high in 18-19 (Hall’s knee, Cory missed Oct recovering from surgery and then was on the IR for a month after sucking in his 9 first games, and Mojo missed 12 games which qualifies as a healthy season for him with us.)
Not a shred of pity for Vegas. Their crash-and-burn has been immensely satisfying to watch.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

View attachment 515374

lol Pens being the most injured team over the last 13+ is very much not surprising. Crazy they've consistently been so good while being so banged up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese