GDT: Around the League - 2021/22 - Playoffs edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2011
Kessel, Bozak and now Kadri has each won a ring after leaving Toronto, I guess these guys weren't the perennial losers they were seen as during the mid 2010s with the Leafs.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
When you trust young kids with responsibilitiies then can shine

Was impressed with Newhook. Didn't look out of place. Brought a physical element

Not only he got good experience which will pay off in future, they didn't have anyone slowing them down

We over played Simmonds last year along with few vets over the years
We needed to keep our young kids opportunities. Wasted opportunities

Looking at you Keefe.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Kessel, Bozak and now Kadri has each won a ring after leaving Toronto, I guess these guys weren't the perennial losers they were seen as during the mid 2010s with the Leafs.
Maybe it’s sum of if the parts. Put 3 guys together doesn’t mean you win.
You also need the right team, depth, styles, etc.
Put 1 guy with new sum of the parts…

horner

May 22, 2007
Maybe it’s sum of if the parts. Put 3 guys together doesn’t mean you win.
You also need the right team, depth, styles, etc.
Put 1 guy with new sum of the parts…
It's like having kerfoot engval and Mik.
Same players don't hit and aren't fully committed to winning .
I don't think TB or Colorado had 1 of these players on there team .
If they are each on another team then maybe they will follow the group.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Maybe they are following the group here.

Reactions: horner and ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Noting... Leafs least physical 6 forwards, (easily) had more hits/60 than Colorado's least physical 6 forwards... which funny enough included Kadri. (in the playoffs)

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
When you trust young kids with responsibilitiies then can shine

Was impressed with Newhook. Didn't look out of place. Brought a physical element

Not only he got good experience which will pay off in future, they didn't have anyone slowing them down

We over played Simmonds last year along with few vets over the years
We needed to keep our young kids opportunities. Wasted opportunities

Looking at you Keefe.

Seriously. It's like he played not to lose with "safe", low ceiling veterans. At some point, you have to give your young players a longer leash because their upside is much higher. There was no reason to sit Lily for Lyub/Holl.

Also, I hope we take a longer look at some internal options before cycling through more free agents.

Reactions: fahad203

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
Take this with a massive grain of salt, but I taught one of Kadri’s cousins in one of my college classes a few years ago. He said that Kadri couldn’t wait to get the hell out of Toronto (this would have been maybe a year before the trade) and that management was well aware of this.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
This one hurt to hear

It's been 18 years since we've won a ROUND

Haha, I had a similar thought last night when they said that.

I was like "shit times flying! Doesn't seem THAT long ago the Avs won a cup!............"

But then also "21 years? pfffft, that's nothing! try 53 years or however long it's been!"

Hey, we're the Cubs of hockey, assuming we EVER win a cup again.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Take this with a massive grain of salt, but I taught one of Kadri’s cousins in one of my college classes a few years ago. He said that Kadri couldn’t wait to get the hell out of Toronto (this would have been maybe a year before the trade) and that management was well aware of this.
Seems odd given he nixed a trade

Reactions: Buds17

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
when every team had their sights on pietrangelo during the 2020 offseason, sakic was one step ahead.

Devon teows is such a great player.

2 seconds for a top paring defencemen. Damn

That and kadri trade were both savvy moves by joe.

Toews was had for so cheap. Lou’s cap work on the Island hasn’t been good. And now they’re looking for a LHD that can play in the top 4.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Perhaps he didn't want to go to Calgary, but was okay going to a few other teams.

When you have some control over where you go, might as well use it.
I'd say he helped out the Leafs by refusing to waive for Calgary (Toronto ending up with Kerfoot over Jankowski, while still retaining Brown for the later trade to Ottawa). Being part of one trade doesn't necessarily outright imply that a player is on the block though. However, being in two trades gives off a different vibe IMO and the writing is essentially on the wall at that point.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He couldnt nix any trade because of his m-ntc. He did say it wasnt because of the destination though. So tough to make the leap to him desperately wanting out

I mean... a clause where you can nix destinations, which he did... is nixing a destination.. .and your posting is the first I've ever heard of a statement that he included Calgary on a NTC, but not because of a destination. Could you please provide a link for this? Thanks

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Toews was had for so cheap. Lou’s cap work on the Island hasn’t been good. And now they’re looking for a LHD that can play in the top 4.
You may have to put a trigger warning on this post. lol

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Shame the Leafs couldn't have gotten in on that steal.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I mean... a clause where you can nix destinations, which he did... is nixing a destination.. .and your posting is the first I've ever heard of a statement that he included Calgary on a NTC, but not because of a destination. Could you please provide a link for this? Thanks
Does this work or are you looking for something else?

In it Kadri says "But you know, obviously, for me, it was no disrespect to Calgary or the Flames organization. I love their team and I love the direction they're headed. I just figured that had I declined, I would have had a better opportunity of being a Maple Leaf next year and that's really what it came down to. I wanted to play for the Leafs next year. I wanted to be a part of that. In declining that trade I had aspirations of being a Leaf and we know clearly that didn't happen."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad