GDT: Around the League - 2021/22 - Playoffs edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
What a great night of sports ahead... 4 playoff games, and to top it off, the Jays start a series with the Yankees @ the Dome.

Beers are locked and loaded, jersey if on, expectations way too high....my body is ready.

Reactions: rdogg

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Apparently all of the jets want out?

I could see us being interested in helle. Crazy he has zero trade protection. He is a Michigan kid. Just 3 hrs away from TO. Wants to win.

We would have the assets. Not sure if he would want to go to the states though.

I don’t see west teams trading goalies to the west.
It would basically be us and Washington/devils.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

I could see us being interested in helle. Crazy he has zero trade protection. He is a Michigan kid. Just 3 hrs away from TO. Wants to win.

Helle would be huge. He was putting up the best goalie advanced stats for 3 years behind their trash defence. He would look good behind the current d core the Leafs have.

Reactions: Zero1

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The fact that they are keeping Chevy is mind blowing to me. He's probably not an expensive manager to keep around so I get why but not sure he's earned keeping his job for that long. I would be furious as a Jets fan.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I'd made a post, which ended up being the last post in the prior thread. So here it is... I hadn't heard anything about Hellebuyck wanting out though. His $6.16 contract is hard to swallow though, especially with our need to move Mrazek.

Winnipeg Jets.... What a weird franchise. Maurice walks away, Scheifele might ask out... "Depending on the direction of the team" (He's an assistant Captain, signed for two more years, talking like his contract is up, or he may want out), The Winnipeg Jets handed general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff a three-year extension,

So, you have complete mediocracy, your coach quits because he sees problems, player may want out, team doesn't make the playoffs, and you give the GM a three year extension???? Clearly there are some internal problems here.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd made a post, which ended up being the last post in the prior thread. So here it is... I hadn't heard anything about Hellebuyck wanting out though. His $6.16 contract is hard to swallow though, especially with our need to move Mrazek.

Winnipeg Jets.... What a weird franchise. Maurice walks away, Scheifele might ask out... "Depending on the direction of the team" (He's an assistant Captain, signed for two more years, talking like his contract is up, or he may want out), The Winnipeg Jets handed general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff a three-year extension,

So, you have complete mediocracy, your coach quits because he sees problems, player may want out, team doesn't make the playoffs, and you give the GM a three year extension???? Clearly there are some internal problems here.

Seems like the natural trade would be Mrazek ++ for Hellebuyck, assuming Mrazek is fine going there. He would be their starter while they transition.

I would question the cost more. If all he costs is similar to what Andersen cost (effectively Mrazek + late 1st + 2nd), then no brainer. Let Campbell go or sign him to be a cheap stopgap backup for a year until Woll is ready to take over the backup job after next year. Otherwise, there are a few decent options in UFA to fill that hole.

If the asking price is ludicrous, then I doubt the Leafs break the bank even for a guy of Hellebuyck's caliber.

Winnipeg may prefer an offer which has Samsonov coming the other way, given he has the potential to be a legit starter for them down the line, but if they like a guy like Ville Husso in UFA, then Mrazek makes a lot more sense as a guy who has a ton of experience and can split the net with a guy who has more untapped potential.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

Aren't there a lot of rumours about the dressing room? I don't want to get into a whole political thing but basically it split the room into a Wheeler and co group and then most of the younger players - and they hate each other.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1651515007749.png

Not a lot of teams have had recent success.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Will be interesting to see whether Marner and Johnny hockey can dominate the playoffs like they did the regular season.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Will be interesting to see whether Marner and Johnny hockey can dominate the playoffs like they did the regular season.

I think (fingers crossed) that we’re going to see a rather feisty version of Marner this year. Of course a guess, but I can see him getting a retaliatory penalty early on, just to set his mind towards playing hard.

Reactions: ToneDog

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think (fingers crossed) that we’re going to see a rather feisty version of Marner this year. Of course a guess, but I can see him getting a retaliatory penalty early on, just to set his mind towards playing hard.

As long as he doesn't take another over the glass penalty, I am happy at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: meefer

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not sure if Chevy getting that extension was the right move for Winnipeg. Definitely a team that could use a shakeup
Rehiring him probably signals a major shakeup. Love to get Schieffle and Helly but that would take one hell of a block buster.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
What happened to todays GDT? It disappeared along with any comments?

Maybe someone can post the GDT link? Something has gone wonky on my end it appears.

Last edited:

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
Thanks. Unfortunately I can’t see the thread. It must be made by someone I have on ignore or for some reason I’m not allowed to access it. I can’t see the GDT on mainboard either. And I have no clue as to why.
You can also click "Show ignored content" - bottom right of the home page to show threads created by users you ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad