Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
A2039F2A-0CA2-498C-800D-A78378B46220.jpeg

The projected salary cap increases over time from that article @BlackMcDog posted.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Is there nothing they can do as they get closer to make the increases similar? Giving Gm's 6mil of cap space in one year scares the shit out of me.

It all is dependant on when the players get their escrow payments evened out. As soon as they are even to the owners it will rise dramatically.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
if the cap goes up when its time to give McDavid a raise, it's a bad thing??
A) Players take salaries that are relative to the cap environment they are signed in. McDavid's current contract was 16.67% of the cap when it was signed. In a $91M cap that's $15.1M cap hit even ignoring that McDavid had just 2 seasons under his belt when he signed that $12.5M contract and it was buying 4 years of RFA. If you and I know what the cap projections are then you can bet his agents know what the cap projections are and they will negotiate with that in mind.

B) Increasing the cap after McDrai's contracts expire means we don't benefit from them fully. Imagine if the NHL dumped a full $10M cap increase next year. That would mean McDrai account for 23% of the Oilers' cap for the next 3 years. Instead they will account for 25.5% then 25.1% then 24.9%.

C) Giving every team $6M in cap space right as McDavid's contract expires means that more teams could fit him into their cap structure. Again, if you and I know it then his agents know it. If he is even considering changing teams then it just adds incentive to check out the market

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I know fans seem to think that being ruthless to get the players you need is the way to go but it sets a precedent in the long term. Vegas is getting a reputation, and while some players may not care, the fans are starting to and it could bleed into profits (merch sales, attendance etc).

Holland said in an interview regarding the Bear trade that he doesn’t like to trade players and that you get attached to them as they are real people. Vegas is run with seemingly little regard to this and while it might benefit in the short term, I doubt it pays off long run. People like to feel like they belong and are valued, sure, money is involved but people leave more money at jobs for a better fit and security all the time

I think you have hit on a very valid point my friend. There are only a few Players remaining from the original “misfits” group and it’s pretty obvious what their agenda is, right or wrong.

I applaud GM’s who balance loyalty & payroll much better than this. These tend to be easier franchises to cheer for.

This is one of the reasons I’m not complaining about Darnell’s Contract as much as some are. Yes it’s high, but to drag it out & grind him or potentially trade him for prospects would set this Team back significantly.

I’m not a big fan of Mr. Holland, but I can agree with this deal for these reasons.

Hopefully the man can acquire a #1 Goalie that will enable the Team to do some damage in the Playoffs.

Some memes for the weekend…..
8BED899E-3BCD-4FB0-A872-5FB9DA5299B4.jpeg
DF3533EA-D061-4107-8586-58F57B62189E.jpeg
DF2E0AD0-3563-4CA1-897A-61854885F534.jpeg
34718AD0-0626-4DD8-B022-C8688C950C1A.jpeg
0FCDF25A-9469-4D2C-AEE4-2A7931520088.jpeg

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I actually thought he was going to be a player for us. He was very very good in one world juniors.

Also had Ryan Martindale in that draft (who did nothing)

Martindale is a hilarious player in hindsight. Never seen such a variance between sexy stat line and total uselessness on the ice for any other prospect. Probably watched 10ish of his games at various levels and couldn’t have told you he was playing in any of them if I didn’t know ahead of time.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Is there nothing they can do as they get closer to make the increases similar? Giving Gm's 6mil of cap space in one year scares the shit out of me.
They could negotiate a smaller amount, but why would either side want that? You have the new Candian TV deal that will likley be a big boost coming at around the same time and the usual 4-5% increases in other revenuewould mean that you could expect the cap to start rising by $5M or so each year for quite some time

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Martindale is a hilarious player in hindsight. Never seen such a variance between sexy stat line and total uselessness on the ice for any other prospect. Probably watched 10ish of his games at various levels and couldn’t have told you he was playing in any of them if I didn’t know ahead of time.
He was excellent for Ottawa at both ends of the ice.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
They could negotiate a smaller amount, but why would either side want that? You have the new Candian TV deal that will likley be a big boost coming at around the same time and the usual 4-5% increases in other revenuewould mean that you could expect the cap to start rising by $5M or so each year for quite some time

I forgot Sportsnet's NHL deal is dwindling down. It expires at the end of 25/26 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad