GDT: Around the League 2020-21 v15

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Luongo, Schneider, Kiprusoff, Hellebucyk.

There are exceptions. But Vancouver murdered like 10 goaltenders before trading for an established veteran all-star in Luongo and Calgary hasn't been able to settle their starter since Kipper retired.

Most goaltenders who play well hit a wall and have short careers in Canada. Even Price had fans turn on him in favor of Jaroslav Halak at one point. It's just hard to be mentally consistent in the fishbowl IMO & much harder to shrug off a period of struggle without the entire city harranging you over it.

Reactions: oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
There are exceptions. But Vancouver murdered like 10 goaltenders before trading for an established veteran all-star in Luongo and Calgary hasn't been able to settle their starter since Kipper retired.

Most goaltenders who play well hit a wall and have short careers in Canada. Even Price had fans turn on him in favor of Jaroslav Halak at one point. It's just hard to be mentally consistent in the fishbowl IMO & much harder to shrug off a period of struggle without the entire city harranging you over it.
You’d be hard pressed to find a team that hasn’t murdered a goalie in the last 15 years.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You’d be hard pressed to find a team that hasn’t murdered a goalie in the last 15 years.

Yeah but I can name like 4 Canadian teams who have murdered like 5 each.

Philly is like this, too. Goaltending is so much more mental than the rest of the game and it takes a special personality to navigate the fishbowl IMO.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah but I can name like 4 Canadian teams who have murdered like 5 each.

Philly is like this, too. Goaltending is so much more mental than the rest of the game and it takes a special personality to navigate the fishbowl IMO.
I don’t think it’s unique to Canada though.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I don’t think it’s unique to Canada though.

Canada doesn't own a monopoly on fishbowls but I think it's probably much easier to be the starting goaltender of the Minnesota Wild than it is the Edmonton Oilers.

For one thing, if Cam Talbot had a bad game today - he would not be on the front page of the newspaper.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well if he stopped the first shot on net for us once in awhile maybe they would kept him.

Talbot was the best goalie we had here since Roli. The first shot stuff happens, A bit too much of a big deal was made about it. All goalies have off years. But you run with the ones that are good, like Talbot, and keep them.

years later we're still litting in a lot of first shots. has as much to do with how our club starts games slow.

Reactions: bellagiobob

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I was in Vegas during stanley cup finals when they made it for other reasons than hockey, but it was pretty electric around town.

Not going to lie, when I first heard of hockey coming to Vegas I thought it wouldn't work out and there would be barely any support for the Golden Knights. Pretty neat to see how that city has embraced the game of hockey (I guess having a dominant hockey team also helps)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Canada doesn't own a monopoly on fishbowls but I think it's probably much easier to be the starting goaltender of the Minnesota Wild than it is the Edmonton Oilers.

For one thing, if Cam Talbot had a bad game today - he would not be on the front page of the newspaper.
I don’t think it’s as much the fishbowl as it is the mental side in-game.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Not going to lie, when I first heard of hockey coming to Vegas I thought it wouldn't work out and there would be barely any support for the Golden Knights. Pretty neat to see how that city has embraced the game of hockey (I guess having a dominant hockey team also helps)

I suspect it would be completely different if the team sucked. Everybody loves a winner.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Vegas probably gonna lose now. Wild held off the surge and are firmly in the game now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia