Around the League 2020-21 Part 3, Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
DeAngelo would have been a fool to accept a termination now, makes zero sense financially.

True. I think he will be headed to Russia this summer. As good as he is on the ice, I just can't see someone willing to take a chance on him with the way the US views things now.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
still can't get over the fact of what washington dealt for Mantha. On paper, that is a marginal improvement over Vrana at best and they traded high picks for it. It's not Forsberg for Erat bad....but if either of those picks end up being quality.... even if it's for some cap space.

I was reading a week or two before the trade deadline that Vrana was coasting through games so he was benched for a couple games. Right after he was benched he came back and scored a goal and was more effective in his check duties. My guess is they were tired of lighting a fire under him.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Aside from escrow and deferred salary, it was $2.6 million or so if he gets bought out in the summer (buyout and remaining money this year) vs. under $200k. for a min deal for the remainder of this season.

It may very well be his last NHL money. DeAngelo wasn't going to terminate his contract.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
No Save Dave Rittich spells Jack Campbell and starts his first game for the Leafs versus his old team. This oddball season is going to be remembered for these types of situations which are likely to not repeat anytime soon.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
What's odd about a goalie starting a game against his former team?

I thought it was different where a backup goalies first game is against his old club a day after the TDL. Plus I read that Rittich flew on the Calgary plane to TO with all his teammates after he was traded.

dryz

Feb 10, 2011
Czechia
still can't get over the fact of what washington dealt for Mantha. On paper, that is a marginal improvement over Vrana at best and they traded high picks for it. It's not Forsberg for Erat bad....but if either of those picks end up being quality.... even if it's for some cap space.

Vrana managed to end up in the doghouse under every coach he played in Washington and was also healthy scratch in playoff few years ago at the World Championships. He has speed and skill but his play off the puck is not good and his production in playoff drops significantly (3+5 in 38 games with Capitals). I think Mantha makes Washington much better.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
31 Thoughts: Why Taylor Hall may be more than a rental for Bruins

The Kings conceded on term (they initially didn’t want to go four years), and the Flyers on salary (they were below $3 million per year). Four- and five-year deals aren’t going to be thrown around, so what we learned is how strongly those organizations felt about those players. Los Angeles indicated it wouldn’t trade Iafallo even if a contract wasn’t done.

Jeff Carter was an interesting get for the Penguins, because he’d declined at least two previous opportunities over the past couple of seasons. Both Arizona and Philadelphia expressed interest, but he preferred to stay in Los Angeles. So there was some surprise he accepted this one; credit to the Penguins for appealing to him.

31 Thoughts: Why Taylor Hall may be more than a rental for Bruins

..If the Wings ever made it known Filip Hronek was available, I sure would hope the Kings would inquire.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Nashville is one of the best teams in the league over the last month. They might be a 1st rd threat to whoever wins the Central.

I still don't buy them, but they shouldn't have been as bad as they were to start the year.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I had always thought Smolinski would find his way into a Kings jersey one day for some reason. I've had that same feeling about Larkin.

Not that that means anything.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
True. I think he will be headed to Russia this summer. As good as he is on the ice, I just can't see someone willing to take a chance on him with the way the US views things now.

Apparently there has already been NHL interest. He will be on a short leash but right shot dman as skilled as him are just tough to find.

I’m surprised more people here haven’t called for the Kings to bring him in, there was significant support for bringing back Voynov on this board and the situations are drastically different.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Apparently there has already been NHL interest. He will be on a short leash but right shot dman as skilled as him are just tough to find.

I’m surprised more people here haven’t called for the Kings to bring him in, there was significant support for bringing back Voynov on this board and the situations are drastically different.

He's buddies with Lemieux and maybe more Kings players can vouch for him? His skill set is intriguing...they really need an offensive defenseman even if he's a RH shot.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I had always thought Smolinski would find his way into a Kings jersey one day for some reason. I've had that same feeling about Larkin.

Not that that means anything.

I think Larkin is , as I like to say “the guy they are going to put on billboards”

Detroit has to have someone to market the team around.

Same thing I would have done with Kopitar in LA after I traded Doughty in 2017.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

I'm not against giving players second chances. I'd just rather not argue about it.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I'm not against giving players second chances. I'd just rather not argue about it.

What Voynov did was just to much for me to forgive. Loved him as a player, but that was a line that was crossed. Although it is pretty funny how Tyreek Hill is somehow a media darling and Voynov could never get another NHL shot. What Hill did was at another level worse.

How “privileged” he must be to still be able to play and make $20m a year.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What Voynov did was just to much for me to forgive. Loved him as a player, but that was a line that was crossed. Although it is pretty funny how Tyreek Hill is somehow a media darling and Voynov could never get another NHL shot. What Hill did was at another level worse.

Media/NFL has really burried the Hill stuff. I honestly had no idea, but the below is from Wikipedia (so take with a grain of salt):
upload_2021-4-14_12-47-53.png

Jesus what a prick.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Are you going to give your family member a second chance first, or someone else's family member a second chance first? Just basic tribalism. Voynov was our problem, DeAngelo is their problem.

I think Larkin is , as I like to say “the guy they are going to put on billboards”

Detroit has to have someone to market the team around.

Same thing I would have done with Kopitar in LA after I traded Doughty in 2017.

I know he's supposed to be the guy for Det, but is he the guy you build a team around, or is he the guy you build a team around if you don't have a real guy to build a team around? Sort of like the Iafallo on the 1st line question.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Are you going to give your family member a second chance first, or someone else's family member a second chance first? Just basic tribalism. Voynov was our problem, DeAngelo is their problem.

I know he's supposed to be the guy for Det, but is he the guy you build a team around, or is he the guy you build a team around if you don't have a real guy to build a team around? Sort of like the Iafallo on the 1st line question.

On Larkin it kind of reminds me of Monahan. he is not a first line center on a contender but I think would be a great 2nd line center.

If Calgary is moving him I hope Blake pokes his head in that door.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
AA-Monahan-Vilardi
Turcotte-Byfield-Kaliyev

Would be my top three to some degree next year.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Media/NFL has really burried the Hill stuff. I honestly had no idea, but the below is from Wikipedia (so take with a grain of salt):
View attachment 422287

Jesus what a prick.

You have to understand, to the media in this country what Tony DeAngelo did and especially the things he has said are more troublesome and controversial than what Tyreek Hill did. So of course one gets buried forever and one is constantly brought up anytime the player is discussed. Welcome to the modern media.

I get the first part if the situations were similar, but what Voynov did was a violent felony, its apples to oranges.

As for Larkin, he is an ideal 2C on a contender, my guess is the Wings use him as a popular local kid to market and sell tickets and hope they can add a true 1C in the next couple of drafts. Larkin is still only 24, people forget because he debuted so young (19 and a couple months). If the Wings rebuild gets stuck in neutral they can trade him in two years.

Reactions: Reaper45

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
You have to understand, to the media in this country what Tony DeAngelo did and especially the things he has said are more troublesome and controversial than what Tyreek Hill did. So of course one gets buried forever and one is constantly brought up anytime the player is discussed. Welcome to the modern media.

I wonder to how much is because of how much NFL is worth compared to the NHL

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

There's a lot of double standards. And the NHL responded as strongly as it did against Voynov because of what happened in the NFL.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Pretty honest comments from JT Miller on the Canucks return to play. Hard to argue with him, but also not sure what League is supposed to do here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad