Around The League 2020-21 off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
There's still more than a few teams in cap hell. The next month should be wild in that regard, if we're assuming a two or three week training camp before a January 1st start.

I'm surprised there isn't more reporting on that. The Lightning and Isles, off the top of my head, are going to have to make some big moves to be able to resign their RFAs.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
the nfl hasn’t had any issues because they place once a week. There’s time to take a test confirm it and then test again before a player has to miss time. If they played nightly like mlb nba and nhl there would be massive issues just like baseball.

I’ve said it since the summer only way a season works is if it’s in a bubble. If the players don’t want that then oh well shut the season down you don’t get paid and you lose a year of productivity of your career. Don’t get these athletes that “Hate” bubbles.

It’s really surprising that there hasn’t been any announcement of hockey and what they are going to do. I mean we were told about the playoff bubble what a good 8 weeks before it happened? To have a season start on Jan 1 they have to make some announcements soon no?

Side question I wonder with no fans in the rink is the ice going to be better?
If by bubble you mean living in isolation at a hotel then it’s easy to see why players wouldn’t like it. It’s difficult to make that work with a family with kids, or any serious relationship really, particularly if it’s in a different city. I know families came in NBA bubble in Orlando and they were eventually allowed in the NHL one, I’m not interested in debating the logistics just pointing out there’s a human reason behind the dislike of the bubbles. I’m not pro or anti-bubble. I’m just not sure how to make this work and, more importantly, I’m not sure the NHL does either.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's still more than a few teams in cap hell. The next month should be wild in that regard, if we're assuming a two or three week training camp before a January 1st start.

I'm surprised there isn't more reporting on that. The Lightning and Isles, off the top of my head, are going to have to make some big moves to be able to resign their RFAs.

I'm guessing some of these teams are waiting until there's a confirmed season and start date before the mad scramble begins.

'When you have time...use it'

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If by bubble you mean living in isolation at a hotel then it’s easy to see why players wouldn’t like it. It’s difficult to make that work with a family with kids, or any serious relationship really, particularly if it’s in a different city. I know families came in NBA bubble in Orlando and they were eventually allowed in the NHL one, I’m not interested in debating the logistics just pointing out there’s a human reason behind the dislike of the bubbles. I’m not pro or anti-bubble. I’m just not sure how to make this work and, more importantly, I’m not sure the NHL does either.

i get it isn't easy but they aren't exactly being asked to storm a beach head. We are talking about being put up in a luxury hotel there are bigger sacrifices being made by people who make a lot less and have a lot less protection. again if they don't want to do that then thats on them cancel the season and like i said everyone loses a year of productivity from a finite resource (time) they will never get back. just like baseball being a hit hard by the public the nhl will face the same situation unless they do the right thing.

this isn't an attack either on you. i just dont see how they could plan on doing a season unless it is in a bubble. i think divisional bubbles makes the most.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

given the * of this "off season" it wouldn't surprise if the nhl gave some type of clearance for teams in cap trouble. I wouldn't agree with it but I can see the reasoning on doing that. keeping teams/players in the dark about what might or might not happen then to drop on them you have x amount of time til the season starts and you have to get under the cap on top of it? thats asking a lot for teams imo. the fact that no one is making moves should raise some bells that the nhl probably doesn't even know what its going to do by now?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
given the * of this "off season" it wouldn't surprise if the nhl gave some type of clearance for teams in cap trouble. I wouldn't agree with it but I can see the reasoning on doing that. keeping teams/players in the dark about what might or might not happen then to drop on them you have x amount of time til the season starts and you have to get under the cap on top of it? thats asking a lot for teams imo. the fact that no one is making moves should raise some bells that the nhl probably doesn't even know what its going to do by now?

No, they will not do this. Teams know that they have to get under the salary cap by a certain point and they have known what the salary cap will be for months and months now. It would be unfair to the teams who have planned for having a lower cap and have already made moves to that effect.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
i get it isn't easy but they aren't exactly being asked to storm a beach head. We are talking about being put up in a luxury hotel there are bigger sacrifices being made by people who make a lot less and have a lot less protection. again if they don't want to do that then thats on them cancel the season and like i said everyone loses a year of productivity from a finite resource (time) they will never get back. just like baseball being a hit hard by the public the nhl will face the same situation unless they do the right thing.

this isn't an attack either on you. i just dont see how they could plan on doing a season unless it is in a bubble. i think divisional bubbles makes the most.
I was more defending players’ understandable dislike of it because as far as I know, while there was some sort of outside player’s poll at some point, we don’t even know the NHLPA’s or the NHL’s specific positions on bubbles and/or health proposed protocols for the new season. I don’t disagree with that bubbles would be safer and they most likely won’t happen (I think?) but we’ll see.

Also, the NY Post article (leak) has plenty of details and it’s not just about the next years deferred salaries because the NHL wants to renegotiate the escrow cap for the whole six years of the new CBA extension they agreed on in July.

That said, they can bicker about future escrow caps later and NHL can probably make a case for the increase in deferred salaries if there’s no fans in the stands. I don’t see the players being the ones canceling the season, from the start the threat have been coming from some of the owners because of the massive loss of money without fans attending.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/18/nhl-angers-players-with-shocking-attempt-to-renegotiate-cba/

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
No, they will not do this. Teams know that they have to get under the salary cap by a certain point and they have known what the salary cap will be for months and months now. It would be unfair to the teams who have planned for having a lower cap and have already made moves to that effect.

first they can do whatever they want. second there has been some precedent with the league giving teams a lifeline with with buyouts that didn't hurt their cap. right or wrong i dont know i'm just saying don't automatically assume that these teams will have to shed players to get under the cap. I would assume if that was going to be the case then the teams would be doing it right now since even if the season is canceled (which i doubt it would be) they will still have to get under the same cap or worse next year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
first they can do whatever they want. second there has been some precedent with the league giving teams a lifeline with with buyouts that didn't hurt their cap. right or wrong i dont know i'm just saying don't automatically assume that these teams will have to shed players to get under the cap. I would assume if that was going to be the case then the teams would be doing it right now since even if the season is canceled (which i doubt it would be) they will still have to get under the same cap or worse next year.

They can't do whatever they want, they have a collective bargaining agreement. Those compliance buyouts were agreed to as part of those agreements.

The cap is already set for the 2021-22 season - it is the same as this year. And yes, it will be harder for teams to get under it. But there's no hurry. Literally everything has stalled - I don't think a significant UFA has signed in weeks, they're all still out there.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
wait is the idea for us to play teams in our division over and over again?

Correct. That is the current proposed plan. I can see teams being swapped around a bit, but the plan is to only play in your division..

I can see it possibly being opened up a bit if the situation with the virus gets better as the season goes on.. but I wouldn't hold my breath

Reactions: MartyOwns

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I am all for watching some hockey, but we are going to get wrecked in that division. The east and west are stroooooong divisions.

I hope they somehow will have some kind of weighted points system, but I doubt it.

Reactions: glenwo2

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Even if you go with the premise players would agree to a temporary higher cap (obviously they would), most owners wouldn't. For every owner that is gonna be in cap trouble there are three more not planning to spend to the cap anyway.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
And people thought last years season would have an * :laugh:
That is why I have been saying for a while I was not placing much value on the upcoming season. It should be viewed as a "Process" type of season. One of the reasons I wanted to use all three of the first rounders as picks as opposed to trading one for a player was the first season of that player would likely be a short one.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
MLB did two divisions based on geography. It would be laughable if the NHL just tried to keep games in division especially since certain crossover games (Boston, Buffalo) have less travel than Carolina or Columbus. They aren’t quite as geography aligned as MLB

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
How are they supposed to be ready for a Jan 1 start date? They'll need to bring in international players starting next week and the league still does not have anything actually set up for next season.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
How are they supposed to be ready for a Jan 1 start date? They'll need to bring in international players starting next week and the league still does not have anything actually set up for next season.

Yeah I have no idea... It sounds like a mess still. Id expect a Mid-Jan start at the earliest at this rate

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
DB55C371-FEE2-4207-BDC3-0438740E4F74.jpeg

At least we lucked out of being in Florida’s division. They’re going to have a huge year. We will still have a lot of games against the tough Rags and the NYb.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Why don’t people think this is a going to be a “real” season? Ya just gotta stop! Playing in division actually is going to be pretty fun and there isn’t going to be an off game otherwise you’ll be out of it. The devils might not have the best team in the division but they are well rested young and fast and should be able to run laps around some of these veteran teams esp in a condensed season.

the two games against the western conference teams was always a joke imo anyway the nhl should in regular times just be a conference regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad