Around The League 2020-21 off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but with where the virus is now, and is expected to head in the next few weeks, it's hard for me to imagine a Jan 1 start date, and even Feb 1 at this point. Lots of hospitals are already at capacity, and we're probably facing a lockdown more severe than what we saw in the spring. What city is going to approve hundreds of players and support personnel converging into a semi-quarantined area?

If things were the same now as they were in September, maybe a hub city works, but in these conditions you need a full-on bubble, and the players and personnel would (rightly) refuse to do that again. I'm really sad about hockey, but more so scared about what this country is about to go through.

I think there could very easily be a start date of January 1 given the blitheness and apathy we're seeing all over - the major sports have been quite lucky that no one directly associated with any teams has died, though I imagine that will change, but otherwise, I'm watching a game of college hockey right now. That said, the NHL will implement mini-bubbles or alter the schedule to allow for less travel and presumably less risk of spread.

People have just forgotten how interconnected everything is and how everyone taking on slightly more risk means that health-care systems are exhausted.

That said, I don't see a start date of January 1st because we have no schedule for training camp or pre-season and it feels like both the NHL and NHLPA are dragging their feet on that. That's six weeks away, I just have no clue how they start like that. February 1 seems more likely.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think there could very easily be a start date of January 1 given the blitheness and apathy we're seeing all over - the major sports have been quite lucky that no one directly associated with any teams has died, though I imagine that will change, but otherwise, I'm watching a game of college hockey right now. That said, the NHL will implement mini-bubbles or alter the schedule to allow for less travel and presumably less risk of spread.

People have just forgotten how interconnected everything is and how everyone taking on slightly more risk means that health-care systems are exhausted.

That said, I don't see a start date of January 1st because we have no schedule for training camp or pre-season and it feels like both the NHL and NHLPA are dragging their feet on that. That's six weeks away, I just have no clue how they start like that. February 1 seems more likely.

The Devils front office sent out a survey last week about would it be acceptable if we moved you into different seats for different games (i answered no as I'm just looking to skip this season), whether you would be comfortable with a capacity of like 10%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%. Would you care if they didn't stop people from coming down the aisles during play so not to bunch up people in the hallways.

Personally I don't think Murphy allows anyone inside or if they somehow do it will be a really small percentage like 10-15% cause like you said jan 1st is really right around the corner, its 47 days now. We are going backwards in this area with them wanting like no more than 10 people for gatherings in homes, there's no way they will approve thousands to watch a game at this rate.

Reactions: Guttersniped

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Unfortunately it’s how the virus is transmitted that makes it nearly impossible to contain. The spread of Covid-19 is unpredictable, especially when some people can carry it and can be perfectly fine.

The NHL needs to open sooner than later, (Just like the NBA feels the need to start in December.) because they can’t bank money on hopes and dreams. The NHL is the greatest hockey league on the planet!! Hopefully everyone involved acts accordingly and they should do well.

One Gripe: I hate that many arenas are also used by the NBA, because I can see that causing some issues.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Devils related but more to do with the league start. Teams calling guys back will be a good indicator of league intentions.

I don’t think 2 guys tells us the trend but if we see more in the next 10 days then I think we are tell the league is close to announcing their official start plans.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Unfortunately it’s how the virus is transmitted that makes it nearly impossible to contain. The spread of Covid-19 is unpredictable, especially when some people can carry it and can be perfectly fine.

The NHL needs to open sooner than later, (Just like the NBA feels the need to start in December.) because they can’t bank money on hopes and dreams. The NHL is the greatest hockey league on the planet!! Hopefully everyone involved acts accordingly and they should do well.

One Gripe: I hate that many arenas are also used by the NBA, because I can see that causing some issues.

I'd imagine this would create an opportunity for Newark to be a "hub". Or Nassau.

I'm surprised its not bigger news that Boqvist has been recalled. There's no reason to do that if the team isn't planning to at least start skating.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

scheduling is going to be difficult for sports like hockey and the nba. football its a week before games and they have/had bye weeks they could shift around. while baseball had teams playing one another multiple times in a row and if someone is infected they could isolate those two teams and not spread.

hockey/basketball at least had a different team every night playing each other. I really would be shocked if they kept that system and not maybe say do a baseball style system where devils play the rangers 3x in a row then they move on to the islanders for 3x. I still think divisional games ONLY would make the most sense since if there is an outbreak in the division it stays in the division and the nhl can still play their games and if the division with the outbreak can't make up the games? then they move to a % base for their playoff teams.

keeps teams playing league wide if there is an outbreak in the division and it should make for some interesting hockey being only 4 spots up for grabs in each division. no off games or you would be left in the dark quickly. although being in the atlantic would suck because bruins/bolts/leafs should get 3 of those spots.

one thing to add to this too if the nhl wanted to try something whacky for scheduling as a test run this would be the year to do it.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I'd imagine this would create an opportunity for Newark to be a "hub". Or Nassau.

I'm surprised its not bigger news that Boqvist has been recalled. There's no reason to do that if the team isn't planning to at least start skating.

i'm actually pretty surprised it wasn't done sooner since who knows there could be travel restrictions put in place at any time.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I wonder if it has to do with a possible national shutdown happening in two months and them wanting to have their guys over here in case they start soon thereafter. Who knows really.

Reactions: glenwo2

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Kobe Bryant has the most missed shots in NBA history...

Not a single person has ever said Severson is as good as Hedman. At all. He's a top four defenseman on almost every single NHL team. For whatever reason a ton of posters on this board act like he's an AHL defender.

This post is ridiculous. Where did I ever compare him to Hedman? I said I'd give Hedman all A+ as an example and simply asked you to profer your opinion and have an opportunity to back up your statements about how great Severson is as a defender by grading his defensive traits.

Obviously, when actually trying to qualify your statement, you just do some handwaving and run away. But, enough with Severson talk.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
This post is ridiculous. Where did I ever compare him to Hedman? I said I'd give Hedman all A+ as an example and simply asked you to profer your opinion and have an opportunity to back up your statements about how great Severson is as a defender by grading his defensive traits.

Obviously, when actually trying to qualify your statement, you just do some handwaving and run away. But, enough with Severson talk.
Nobody said Severson is great. He has his warts obviously. I don't think I ever said you compared Hedman to Severson either. Why you hef be so mad?

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Anyone think we could get Wahlstrom out of the Islanders for taking Boychuk?
Eh, Wahlstrom’s uninspiring post-draft production combined with his skating issues and size all combine to make him a little unsexy right now but I still seriously doubt Lou trades him to move Boychuk. The Isles don’t have much beyond him right now in NHL readyish forward prospects besides Bellows.

Boychuk’s deal is brutal and the 6m cap hit both years plus the 4m salary next year would cockblock possible better deals involving, for instance, a defenseman who’s still good. We also have a pretty crowded AHL forward squad. I’d obviously take Wahlstrom but the downside of quantity over quality late pick mass drafting plus our TDL deals is you have a lot of players developing and coming up with a limited number of spots and contracts.

I’m still convinced teams are holding off until they are positive there will actually be a season before they make cap dumps in order to be cap compliant. Teams also may want to know how much money they’ll lose before spending more but that seems less of an issue.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I know it isn't hockey talk but we did mention the hall of fame a little bit ago. did anyone see the hof list for baseball? lol just what i was saying that hof should be every 4-5 years have a class not every year. hockey baseball football its getting too watered down.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I know it isn't hockey talk but we did mention the hall of fame a little bit ago. did anyone see the hof list for baseball? lol just what i was saying that hof should be every 4-5 years have a class not every year. hockey baseball football its getting too watered down.
I’m pretty generous with Halls of Fame, it’s for the fans so popular players should get in.

I assume you’re talking about the baseball HofF ballot. It does seem oddly generous with the names used to pad out the ballot. Who’s voting for Nick Swisher? Torii Hunter is a sweetheart of a man but even he seems like a stretch and he’s the strongest new candidate.

The obvious issue for years has been who’s not gotten voted in. The weak new ballot additions might mean Bonds, Clemens and/or Shillings maybe others will finally get in, they got 60-70% of the votes and need 75%. It could be “the assholes everyone kind of hates” class since there aren’t any 1st time ballot hall of famers.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’m pretty generous with Halls of Fame, it’s for the fans so popular players should get in.

I assume you’re talking about the baseball HofF ballot. It does seem oddly generous with the names used to pad out the ballot. Who’s voting for Nick Swisher? Torii Hunter is a sweetheart of a man but even he seems like a stretch and he’s the strongest new candidate.

The obvious issue for years has been who’s not gotten voted in. The weak new ballot additions might mean Bonds, Clemens and/or Shillings maybe others will finally get in, they got 60-70% of the votes and need 75%. It could be “the assholes everyone kind of hates” class since there aren’t any 1st time ballot hall of famers.

Local teams have their fan favorites and ways to honor them (dano) with us. Noway should a guy get into the hall because he’s a fan favorite. Hall of fame has to be for players IMO who are say at one point in time for x amount of time to be top 20 in the game Something like that. Man if Clemens bonds get into the hall? Wow that is disappointing

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly baseball's veterans committees are far worse than the writers (i.e. Harold Baines). Especially since it takes a much smaller number to get someone in via the veterans' committee. The writers' main problem is actually not putting in too many guys but instead they sometimes hold guys out of the HOF like Jim Rice or even an Albert Belle based on personality or innuendo.

At least you generally know how many people are part of the process though. Hockey I guess they have some kind of executive committee but do even diehards know how and who selects HOF'ers there?

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

That's what the All-Star game is for. Not the HOF.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Aww c'mon. It's just the Hall of Fame.

It's not like it's the Ring of Honor or something :sarcasm:

Reactions: Blackjack

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly if the NFL can play (I'm shocked we're through ten weeks without a real hiccup yet) the NHL can play too although they do have the added complication of the Canadian teams and different national standards for dealing with the virus. And the NFL has more money to burn while the NHL has to pinch pennies. This is definitely going into baseball territory where we're gonna hear more about prorata versus salary cuts.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Honestly if the NFL can play (I'm shocked we're through ten weeks without a real hiccup yet) the NHL can play too although they do have the added complication of the Canadian teams and different national standards for dealing with the virus. And the NFL has more money to burn while the NHL has to pinch pennies. This is definitely going into baseball territory where we're gonna hear more about prorata versus salary cuts.

the nfl hasn’t had any issues because they place once a week. There’s time to take a test confirm it and then test again before a player has to miss time. If they played nightly like mlb nba and nhl there would be massive issues just like baseball.

I’ve said it since the summer only way a season works is if it’s in a bubble. If the players don’t want that then oh well shut the season down you don’t get paid and you lose a year of productivity of your career. Don’t get these athletes that “Hate” bubbles.

It’s really surprising that there hasn’t been any announcement of hockey and what they are going to do. I mean we were told about the playoff bubble what a good 8 weeks before it happened? To have a season start on Jan 1 they have to make some announcements soon no?

Side question I wonder with no fans in the rink is the ice going to be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad