Around The League 2020-21 off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Severs on is an absolute moron in his own end, how is that even debatable? When Zidkicky was on this team posters here would lose their minds about how supposedly bad he was on D...yet he was a better defender than Damon ever has been.

Reactions: hidek91

Camille the Eel

Severs on is an absolute moron in his own end, how is that even debatable? When Zidkicky was on this team posters here would lose their minds about how supposedly bad he was on D...yet he was a better defender than Damon ever has been.
“an absolute moron in his own end” is a pretty good summary. That exactly is the issue. He has the tools but the mental mistakes, blown coverages and poor technique in our own zone have not noticeably improved during years when he should have matured.

Reactions: hidek91

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the good:

cost controlled
slightly above average offensively
his dad is funny as hell

the bad:

inconsistent
average defensively

as i'm sure others have said, i'm looking forward to seeing him under a new coaching staff.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I don't often rubbish our own home grown defenders, but I'll say this... Severson leaves a lot to be desired.

He is the best of a bad bunch though, so we need someone to come in and push him down the depth chart.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
the good:

cost controlled
slightly above average offensively
his dad is funny as hell

the bad:

inconsistent
average defensively

as i'm sure others have said, i'm looking forward to seeing him under a new coaching staff.
That sounds like all the makings of a great 2nd pair D-man. If we can some how get him there, things will be much better.

Reactions: MartyOwns

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
He's already there...
I mean you could make a case for that if you wanted. But we don't have a surefire top RHD, he is asked far too often to take the brunt of top players. If he was solidified as our 2nd pair no questions asked, I think his game would be a lot different.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I mean you could make a case for that if you wanted. But we don't have a surefire top RHD, he is asked far too often to take the brunt of top players. If he was solidified as our 2nd pair no questions asked, I think his game would be a lot different.
I'd agree with that. He probably isn't a 1st pairing but he's def a 2nd pairing in my mind. Maybe if we had a better LD1 to pair him with he could handle 1st pairing duties.

Reactions: trufleshufle13

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Not sure if this has been discussed, but if past history is any indication, the headline is not encouraging for a startup of the new season any time soon. I heard mention on NHL Radio this morning there are 3 to 5 team owners who say their franchise cannot survive without pro-rated contracts and/or fans in the building.

NHL players expect to be paid in full for 2021 season, regardless of its length

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Not sure if this has been discussed, but if past history is any indication, the headline is not encouraging for a startup of the new season any time soon. I heard mention on NHL Radio this morning there are 3 to 5 team owners who say their franchise cannot survive without pro-rated contracts and/or fans in the building.

Full disclosure, I didn't read the article, just the headline. But, how would you be expected to be paid in full when all the games aren't played. I understand contract. But suspensions and fines go by games, trade caps go by games played during that season. That's just accounting reasons.

On reasons of "fair" the people who pay them have contracts with arenas, advertisers, networks etc. They are all going to get paid by the amount of product they produce, which is typically expected to be 82 games, nobody is going to pay them in full.

I'm usually on the players side with everything, but this is just grasping to expect this.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

I said this in the spring when baseball was going through this. It was easy for nhl nba to have their playoffs since no one was owed money but now that the players have to get paid it will be a fight.

Also though I would think teams would kinda save money by not having to pay employees for the 41 home games. Then again they probably aren’t paid much to begin with and marking up a beer that costs $2 to a sale price of $9 will hurt them

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Full disclosure, I didn't read the article, just the headline. But, how would you be expected to be paid in full when all the games aren't played. I understand contract. But suspensions and fines go by games, trade caps go by games played during that season. That's just accounting reasons.

On reasons of "fair" the people who pay them have contracts with arenas, advertisers, networks etc. They are all going to get paid by the amount of product they produce, which is typically expected to be 82 games, nobody is going to pay them in full.

I'm usually on the players side with everything, but this is just grasping to expect this.

You need to read the article. The NHL and it’s players did a marvelous job extending the CBA. I was shocked at the hit the player’s were willing to take and it made me proud as a hockey fan. (MLB was a Ship Snow). The truth is, that with a T.V deal, an new expansion team and the CBA looming the NHL (and it’s owners) we’re looking to lose a lot of money with the loss of 1.5 seasons. The players “surprisingly” gave up a lot to get the deal done.

Reactions: Guttersniped

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
You need to read the article. The NHL and it’s players did a marvelous job extending the CBA. I was shocked at the hit the player’s were willing to take and it made me proud as a hockey fan. (MLB was a Ship Snow). The truth is, that with a T.V deal, an new expansion team and the CBA looming the NHL (and it’s owners) we’re looking to lose a lot of money with the loss of 1.5 seasons. The players “surprisingly” gave up a lot to get the deal done.
You are right, I did read the article after posting and it absolutely muddied my opinion on the matter. Not sure what to think now. Not fully changing, but I understand a bit more. Lesson learned.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If the recent positive news that a vaccine will start trickling out early next year is correct, I'd think about trying to start the season in February and play a condensed schedule with an expectation of fans returning during the spring. Maybe it's only 50 games or so but it should be doable and I'd expect crowd restrictions to ease at some point during the spring once one or more of the vaccines become widely available. By the playoffs fans will be in attendance and the playoff revenues probably reimburse the owners for at least some of what they lose early in the season.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If the recent positive news that a vaccine will start trickling out early next year is correct, I'd think about trying to start the season in February and play a condensed schedule with an expectation of fans returning during the spring. Maybe it's only 50 games or so but it should be doable and I'd expect crowd restrictions to ease at some point during the spring once one or more of the vaccines become widely available. By the playoffs fans will be in attendance and the playoff revenues probably reimburse the owners for at least some of what they lose early in the season.

By this article the NHL has to award the cup by July 23 to be done before the summer olympics start.

Also, the league needs to play between 60-70 games to meet their TV obligations. Some league execs think they can go shorter but most felt TV needs must be met.

The league also has to factor in the ability for teams to take a week or two off if a positive test hits the team.

The conclusion from that analysis is that the league really needs to start in January or they’ll have to skimp on something they feel is important. Health matters so the league needs to have figured out multiple scenarios to account for different ways public health might evolve over the next month.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor

By this article the NHL has to award the cup by July 23 to be done before the summer olympics start.

Also, the league needs to play between 60-70 games to meet their TV obligations. Some league execs think they can go shorter but most felt TV needs must be met.

The league also has to factor in the ability for teams to take a week or two off if a positive test hits the team.

The conclusion from that analysis is that the league really needs to start in January or they’ll have to skimp on something they feel is important. Health matters so the league needs to have figured out multiple scenarios to account for different ways public health might evolve over the next month.

Maybe you start in a bubble and end normally? Bubble up in December at some point and play in January and then take a two week break and start games again in home arenas and hope we have moved forward on at least one vaccine by then? What I'm reading is that there are at least two just about ready to go. Pfizer and Moderna. There was one other one that looked to be in a promising spot but I cannot recall the name.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

Not getting political. Just from a fans in the stands persepctive, a lot will be dependent on what the incoming Biden administration plan will be in dealing with COVID-19. The problem is that doesn't begin until January 20th and even then I would doubt any plan would be put in place day 1. That's a ton of revenue that would be lost if fans are still not allowed into the building.

IMO the CBA extension was passed with the idea that things would continue to improve with COVID and the league would slowly ramp back up to normal for and during the upcoming season. With COVID cases surging again in the US AND Canada, normal is highly unlikely and now both sides are starting to look out for themselves again, same as it ever was.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but with where the virus is now, and is expected to head in the next few weeks, it's hard for me to imagine a Jan 1 start date, and even Feb 1 at this point. Lots of hospitals are already at capacity, and we're probably facing a lockdown more severe than what we saw in the spring. What city is going to approve hundreds of players and support personnel converging into a semi-quarantined area?

If things were the same now as they were in September, maybe a hub city works, but in these conditions you need a full-on bubble, and the players and personnel would (rightly) refuse to do that again. I'm really sad about hockey, but more so scared about what this country is about to go through.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Maybe you start in a bubble and end normally? Bubble up in December at some point and play in January and then take a two week break and start games again in home arenas and hope we have moved forward on at least one vaccine by then? What I'm reading is that there are at least two just about ready to go. Pfizer and Moderna. There was one other one that looked to be in a promising spot but I cannot recall the name.

I think everyone getting excited about the vaccine needs to step back and realize the first recipients aren't going to be the overall general population. Health-care and first line workers will be prioritized and then those higher at risk - the elderly and those susceptible to COVID due to pre-existing conditions. Also, the Pfizer vaccine is a 2 dose application with doesn't provide protection until 28 days after the first dose.

Pfizer and BioNTech Announce Vaccine Candidate Against COVID-19 Achieved Success in First Interim Analysis from Phase 3 Study | Pfizer

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but with where the virus is now, and is expected to head in the next few weeks, it's hard for me to imagine a Jan 1 start date, and even Feb 1 at this point. Lots of hospitals are already at capacity, and we're probably facing a lockdown more severe than what we saw in the spring. What city is going to approve hundreds of players and support personnel converging into a semi-quarantined area?

If things were the same now as they were in September, maybe a hub city works, but in these conditions you need a full-on bubble, and the players and personnel would (rightly) refuse to do that again. I'm really sad about hockey, but more so scared about what this country is about to go through.

^^^ THIS.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think everyone getting excited about the vaccine needs to step back and realize the first recipients aren't going to be the overall general population. Health-care and first line workers will be prioritized and then those higher at risk - the elderly and those susceptible to COVID due to pre-existing conditions. Also, the Pfizer vaccine is a 2 dose application with doesn't provide protection until 28 days after the first dose.

Pfizer and BioNTech Announce Vaccine Candidate Against COVID-19 Achieved Success in First Interim Analysis from Phase 3 Study | Pfizer

That’s why I suggested a staggered season to allow for the roll out. Of course with the current rate of infections it seems as if a large number of people aren’t concerned and fewer vaccines may be needed if a bunch of folks don’t want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad