Around the League: 2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can’t believe Edmonton basically did nothing for the 2nd summer in a row. Their most notable add was ****ing Granlund lol

Bizarre offseason for them. Normally a new GM comes in and puts a stamp on his team but it’s been just nothing.

Signed two horrible players in Mike Smith and Granlund. Gave another horrible player in Chiasson a huge raise because McDavid bounced 20 pucks off him. And that’s really it.

Hard to imagine them moving forward.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Secondary market has been very interesting this year, lot's of tightened belts with the lower than expected cap and RFA extensions costing more and more, and teams needing to earmark more dollars to allocate for upcoming star RFAs that can't overcommit on term.

Really like the Dzingel deal, term is awesome, and he's been a fantastic ES performer. The trade protection on Ferland is just ughhh.

Yeah, huge market correction.

NHL GMs got a lot smarter and stopped doing some of the really stupid things we’ve been mocking them for here for years.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Bizarre offseason for them. Normally a new GM comes in and puts a stamp on his team but it’s been just nothing.

Signed two horrible players in Mike Smith and Granlund. Gave another horrible player in Chiasson a huge raise because McDavid bounced 20 pucks off him. And that’s really it.

McDavid out in 2020

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think GMs have gotten a lot cagier after how many got absolutely clowned by Las Vegas during the expansion draft.

That and the fallout from the comical 2016 UFA period.

There are still a few teams lagging behind (starting with us) but the stupidity of those offseasons was too obvious for even NHL dinosaurs to ignore, and most have finally figured out things like ‘giving huge term to old/average players is really really dumb’ that should have been obvious for years.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I can’t believe Edmonton basically did nothing for the 2nd summer in a row. Their most notable add was ****ing Granlund lol
20190712_132324.jpg

Yeah that is not pretty

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the consistent rumours that the oilers think poolparty is enough to move lucic really makes me question their judgment if they are serious about getting their house in order. a lucic dump is also a move you would think holland needed to make early so he could actually sell the idea of change when shopping for free agents.

i think perhaps they have concluded they need to tank to goad mcdavid into demanding a trade so they can pull off the lindros trade 2.0.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

Holland is a shit GM who is riding on his undeserved reputation from the detroit glory days. He's as old school as benning and I have no doubt he'll accomplish nothing with the oilers.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't like that this Gord tweet about whether or not you'd remove a testicle for a cup win is unironically getting a ton of negative feedback.

It's an easy yes from me though.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Holland is a **** GM who is riding on his undeserved reputation from the detroit glory days. He's as old school as benning and I have no doubt he'll accomplish nothing with the oilers.

Strongly concur and argued as much when people were talking about hiring him to replace Benning.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Strongly concur and argued as much when people were talking about hiring him to replace Benning.

Holland was a good young GM in the pre-2005 non-cap era who also had a massive budget relative to his peers.

Since then, he’s aged into yet another dinosaur who gets left in the dust in 2019. You can only stay at the top of anything for so long.

That said, I would take ‘old below-average GM’ over ‘probably the worst GM in the history of NA pro sports’ 10 times out of 10.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Holland was a good young GM in the pre-2005 non-cap era who also had a massive budget relative to his peers.

Since then, he’s aged into yet another dinosaur who gets left in the dust in 2019. You can only stay at the top of anything for so long.

That said, I would take ‘old below-average GM’ over ‘probably the worst GM in the history of NA pro sports’ 10 times out of 10.

To rehash the argument I had then, my point was that any new gm is going to get a minimum of five years. I'll take one more year of Benning over five years of Holland.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To rehash the argument I had then, my point was that any new gm is going to get a minimum of five years. I'll take one more year of Benning over five years of Holland.

And to rehash the argument I had then, I’d take my chances with Holland over the potential of Jimbo sneaking into the playoffs and getting another 3-year extension.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm not a Holland fan, but there's something to be said for coming in and giving everyone a fresh start and doing your own evaluations. Poor decisions can be made if you just come in and blow your things up.

I'm sure he'll clean house next year if things go poorly, but no need to rush into bad moves.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Haas was the Oilers "big EU FA" get

I thought for sure he was a minor league signing lmao

How the f*** is it that they haven't made a trade like we made in 1st + 3rd for Miller/equivalent, like they have been so much worse than us for even longer. At this point you have to gamble futures because losing is simply unacceptable. They need to be going out and getting players who are good defensively and can chip in the odd goal. They need leadership. 4-5 years ago I was saying the same thing, they needed a guy like Travis Zajac or Antoine Vermette to hold down the bottom 6, and some good transition players on the backend.

They should have made the Subban deal, they should have been scrambling to get Colin Miller (or any of these Vegas guys who the Knights have/are gonna have to move like Haula/Smith/Marchessault), or Brandon Montour, or Dougie Hamilton (who is perpetually available idiotically because hes dorky and not physical but he can f***ing play) christ even trade Yamamoto for Jokiharju. Trade RNH for a cheaper 3C and a pick to get more picks to find players who are available

But they cant do anything because of the horrible cap situation theyre in, god what an absolute nightmare

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ok this is from the other league but of all the many many players to take out newspaper ads or whatever to thank their fans after being traded, signing somewhere else, or retiring, to varying degrees of sincerity and perfunctoriness, i think russ's has given me the most feels

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I don't like that this Gord tweet about whether or not you'd remove a testicle for a cup win is unironically getting a ton of negative feedback.

It's an easy yes from me though.

Lol hell no. I finally got a champs win with the raptors and as great as it was I’m not giving up half my nutsack for it. Only fan base in any sport that might is buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad