Around the League: 2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Still don't understand why the Hawks did that trade.... Jokiharju is a lock to be a top 4 dman whereas Alex Nylander is ???

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Does anyone know of a stat site that breaks down player scoring into nhl quarters?

IE, J. Blow, 1Q: 21GP, 5g, 10a, 15pts, 2q: 18GP, 2g, 6a, 8pts...

Some sites do the before/after All Star game, which I think is useless because they're so unbalanced game number wise.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Lots of odd rumours coming out of Winnipeg...Laine definitely marches to the beat of his own drum, and it doesn't sound like it sits that well with the team.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I definitely would've been shopping Laine for a haul, he's a one trick pony that looks spectacular to bad GM'S

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I definitely would've been shopping Laine for a haul, he's a one trick pony that looks spectacular to bad GM'S

He was spectacular in 17-18. 2nd in NHL in goals as a teenager. Looked like another Ovechkin.

Then last year he was probably the worst ES player in the NHL amongst guys getting top-9 minutes.

The question is how much of that was due to a lingering back injury that apparently troubled him all year and how much is due to Fortnite and other off-ice stuff.

If he can return to the form he showed in his first 2 years, he’s an absolute elite player.

Reactions: mossey3535

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He was spectacular in 17-18. 2nd in NHL in goals as a teenager. Looked like another Ovechkin.

Then last year he was probably the worst ES player in the NHL amongst guys getting top-9 minutes.

The question is how much of that was due to a lingering back injury that apparently troubled him all year and how much is due to Fortnite and other off-ice stuff.

If he can return to the form he showed in his first 2 years, he’s an absolute elite player.

What's completely ****ed about him is that even when he's kind of gliding around he can still knock out a hat trick without breaking a sweat. One of those frustrating players who would legitimately be a top-5 player in the league if he had a motor.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
There definitely seems to be a 'type' of player who lacks commitment despite being supremely talented, you have to wonder if maybe Laine is that type, I'd still bet on him becoming a generational goal scorer though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What's completely ****ed about him is that even when he's kind of gliding around he can still knock out a hat trick without breaking a sweat. One of those frustrating players who would legitimately be a top-5 player in the league if he had a motor.

The fact that he scored 18 goals in one 12-game stretch last year and 12 goals in the other 70 games is one of the craziest hockey stats I’ve ever seen.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The fact that he scored 18 goals in one 12-game stretch last year and 12 goals in the other 70 games is one of the craziest hockey stats I’ve ever seen.

I was going to say 30 goals is probably the lowest total for someone who had 5 in one game, but apparently Mike Ricci did the same thing in 1994. Mike Ricci scored five in a game!

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Lots of odd rumours coming out of Winnipeg...Laine definitely marches to the beat of his own drum, and it doesn't sound like it sits that well with the team.

i think laine wants to be moved to a big market team.

but it is interesting to look back on laine/juolevi/puljujarvi as this golden finnish trio, and wonder how it has turned out they all seem to have mental issues.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Dzingel to Carolina for two years is an absolute steal. I can't believe Edmonton wasn't all over that, committing more money to Granlund + Chiasson. He'd be the perfect supporting linemate for McDavid.

Reactions: timw33

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
just looked at calgary's cap situation. they have a serious problem. i think it might cost them hamonic or brodie.

if only they weren't in our division.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was going to say 30 goals is probably the lowest total for someone who had 5 in one game, but apparently Mike Ricci did the same thing in 1994. Mike Ricci scored five in a game!

I vaguely remember that! As a Nordique IIRC.

Dzingel to Carolina for two years is an absolute steal. I can't believe Edmonton wasn't all over that, committing more money to Granlund + Chiasson. He'd be the perfect supporting linemate for McDavid.

The Dzingel and Johansson contracts really highlight the overpayment in term to Ferland.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

I can’t believe Edmonton basically did nothing for the 2nd summer in a row. Their most notable add was f***ing Granlund lol

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
from friedman—

“Laine is a whole big discussion right because he’s the one guy who seems to want a short bridge (contract) of all these guys. He didn’t leave happy last year and we’ve talked about this, some of that was his own fault, he wasn’t as good as he could be and I think he chafed under some of the leadership there. The guys at the top of that food chain are hard driving guys. They expect you to buy into the program and I think that they felt he didn’t buy in enough and I think he felt that some of the things that they wanted were ridiculous. So you got to bridge that too.”

31 Thoughts Podcast: Why Kadri vetoed a trade to Calgary – Sportsnet.ca

hmm, evander kane, had his stuff thrown into the shower by byfuglien. trouba, wanted to leave for reasons. now laine.

idk, i don't think those young guys are blameless or anything but that's a lot of talent leaving to presumably protect a culture that has won what exactly?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
just looked at calgary's cap situation. they have a serious problem. i think it might cost them hamonic or brodie.

if only they weren't in our division.
That Neal contract is just dreadful.

If they can pay another team to take that contract, then they'll be in a pretty good position. Gaudreau, Monahan, and Lindholm all have steals of cap hits.

Fuimus

Jun 24, 2014

The Dzingel and Johansson contracts really highlight the overpayment in term to Ferland.

Way to be selective. It's like you have some sort of agenda.

Below is what I consider to to the most comparable players signed this offseason:

Alex Kerfoot 4 years at 3.5M (similar stats and usage as Ferland)
Brett Connoly 4 years at 3.5M (worse stats but didn't have as high quality of linemates)
Joonas Donskoi 4 years at 3.9M (slightly worse stats but didn't have as high quality of linemates)

And Ferlands contract is definitely not one of the worse offseason contracts like Brandon Tanev 6 years at 3.5M

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Way to be selective. It's like you have some sort of agenda.

Below is what I consider to to the most comparable players signed this offseason:

Alex Kerfoot 4 years at 3.5M (similar stats and usage as Ferland)
Brett Connoly 4 years at 3.5M (worse stats but didn't have as high quality of linemates)
Joonas Donskoi 4 years at 3.9M (slightly worse stats but didn't have as high quality of linemates)

And Ferlands contract is definitely not one of the worse offseason contracts like Brandon Tanev 6 years at 3.5M

Kerfoot was an RFA. Complete different thing.

Connolly is a better player with better numbers with worse linemates.

That Donskoi contract is not amazing.

Also the context changes once you’re dealing with the leftovers who didn’t sign on July 1. That they’re still on the market indicates there was little other interest and the leverage these players had to get term is gone.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Secondary market has been very interesting this year, lot's of tightened belts with the lower than expected cap and RFA extensions costing more and more, and teams needing to earmark more dollars to allocate for upcoming star RFAs that can't overcommit on term.

Really like the Dzingel deal, term is awesome, and he's been a fantastic ES performer. The trade protection on Ferland is just ughhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->