Around the League: 2019 Offseason || Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Gardiner is going to get a 5 year deal minimum..probably around $6.5-7M.

Haven’t heard a peep about Ben Hutton (and he’s a guy I thought we could trade high on..?)

I just don't see where he gets 6.5MM unless he's going to OTT/NJD. Not a lot of legit, even bubble, teams will have that kind of room once the top RFAs get signed.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's not 9 years ago, It's 1 year ago, 2 years ago, 3 years ago and on and on and on...

Tanev was only better than Ferland when Ferland was battling injury. A healthy Ferland is superior to anything Tanev has ever shown. Ferland at his best is a top 6 impact forward, that is also intimidating physically. A rare breed of player.

Carolina fans pretty much unanimously said they would have loved to see Ferland brought back at $3.5mil - Jets fans wanted absolutely nothing to do with Tanev at that same cap hit. It's because Ferland can slot anywhere in your top 9, while Tanev has only ever shown he can perform on a 3rd or 4th line.

Both players are trending up. Both have shown year over year improvements for the last 4 consecutive years. The difference is Ferland has proven a lot more - averaging 15 even strength goals over the last 3 years. Tanev needs to string together production for another year or 2 before he's in the same tier as a guy like Ferland. He has 1 season with more than 8 goals in the NHL and he's in his late 20's...

Tanev's year this year was better than anything Ferland has ever done. Just because Ferland has better counting stats on account of his linemates and PP usage doesn't mean he's a better player.

I watched Tanev play a lot this year and he was the best 3rd line winger I saw in the NHL. Again, think young Burrows.

We'll see what happens.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah,I'm with Hoghandler on this one..Ferland>Tanev
Speculation: - What does Ferland get?

Also, reading the posts/reactions on the main boards from Jets and Penguin fans regarding the Tanev signing..Both sides in total disbelief..I can just imagine if Benning signed a 4th liner (who has limited offensive skill) for 6 years.

The term on Tanev is idiotic. The AAV is excellent and if he duplicates what he did last year next season, he's a bargain in the short term.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Tanev's year this year was better than anything Ferland has ever done. Just because Ferland has better counting stats on account of his linemates and PP usage doesn't mean he's a better player.

I watched Tanev play a lot this year and he was the best 3rd line winger I saw in the NHL. Again, think young Burrows.

We'll see what happens.

IMO you're underestimating how good Ferland was before getting banged up. He was a force in Carolina, hence the $40mil odd dollars he was seeking to stay there. He gets out of the gates hot and performs at a very high level when his body allows it. Same happened in Calgary. His ability to pass the puck is really underrated, he's got a good shot and nose for the net and draws a lot of attention to him around the slot area. His offensive skillset is much more diverse than Tanev's - hence why he gets the opportunities he does.

When was the last time you saw a guy have the type of physical impact against the Canucks as to what we witnessed in 2015? I can't recall anything like it in a very long time. Just re-watched the highlights of that series and it's crazy how much punishment he doled out on our defense in 6 games. Thunderous body checker that brought a ton of energy for his team.

He's a smarter, bigger Raffi Torres that uses his linemates better. You don't come around these players too often, and they can really make a mark when they want to. He's also loved by his teammates, unlike Torres.

Fans in Calgary wanted him back at that contract too...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
IMO you're underestimating how good Ferland was before getting banged up. He was a force in Carolina, hence the $40mil odd dollars he was seeking to stay there. He gets out of the gates hot and performs at a very high level when his body allows it. Same happened in Calgary. His ability to pass the puck is really underrated, he's got a good shot and nose for the net and draws a lot of attention to him around the slot area. His offensive skillset is much more diverse than Tanev's - hence why he gets the opportunities he does.

When was the last time you saw a guy have the type of physical impact against the Canucks as to what we witnessed in 2015? I can't recall anything like it in a very long time. Just re-watched the highlights of that series and it's crazy how much punishment he doled out on our defense in 6 games. Thunderous body checker that brought a ton of energy for his team.

He's a smarter, bigger Raffi Torres that uses his linemates better. You don't come around these players too often, and they can really make a mark when they want to. He's also loved by his teammates, unlike Torres.

Which of the many reboots are you?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Also, some of the really high Ferland estimates came when he was riding shotgun on the Hurricanes top line with Aho and Terravainen and putting up big points. This ended and he finished the season relatively poorly and with injury concerns. The fact that the Hurricanes traded for him, and then after trying him on their top line, opted to trade for Neiderrieter shortly after says a lot about how they feel about Ferland.

I think that's not quite an accurate characterization. They traded for Neiderreieter because at the time, because (a) Rask sucked, (b) they had the 2nd worst team in the NHL at the time so they needed to make changes and (c) they couldn't score goals to save their lives outside of Aho, TT and Ferland. Ferland lost his spot on that top line when he got injured, and Nino stepped in and immediately went on a scoring streak so Brind'amour didn't mess with it. Injuries definitely derailed him more than anything the rest of the way. Even when he was in the line-up, he wasn't near 100% and left games by the 1st or 2nd period. Ferland has better offensive ability than many give him credit for. Playing with top talent or not, he's put up 21G (77games) and 17G (71 games) the past two seasons. He was a bit streaky, but most players are.

If he can avoid major injury, I see no reason why he won't eclipse 20G if he plays with some talented playmakers. It was a good gamble for the Canucks and I like the move for them.

Reactions: Red and Hodgy

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I just realized what happened today on Twitter
William Nylander announced that he will be changing his number to #88 and offer a free number change for people who bought his jersey.
A group of leafs fans decided to jump on him for wearing Eric Lindros' number...who played 33 games for the leafs.

Leafs fans truly are the best when it comes to tiny pity shit that doesn't matter

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I just realized what happened today on Twitter
William Nylander announced that he will be changing his number to #88 and offer a free number change for people who bought his jersey.
A group of leafs fans decided to jump on him for wearing Eric Lindros' number...who played 33 games for the leafs.

Leafs fans truly are the best when it comes to tiny pity **** that doesn't matter

Some idiots called Lindros "a Leafs Legend"....my goodness.
Legend in Philadelphia sure but Toronto?! LOL.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't really believe in retiring numbers anyways and I think it's especially dumb to forbid a number from being used when said player didn't even play for the team.

Reactions: sting101

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Man. Sometimes I completely forget the end of Lindros’ career. Like the fact that he was in the 2007 Stars/Canucks series, for one. But also the fact that he ever played for the Leafs.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Isn't the fact that he slows down and his body doesn't hold up an issue for you? These issues will only be more pronounced as he ages.

He had 6 goals in 2019. Good enough for 12th for forwards in goals per game on his own team after the new year. Him wanting $40m doesn't means didly squat. I want it that much too.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I mean there a lot of stock being put in his play with two of the best lines in hockey the last few years.

Playing with some of the best players in the game he’s put up 40 points which is good that he produces but the numbers say he’s brought down those players performance.

I think he’s a good middle 6 winger (who got a NMC for some reason) but he’s injury prone which is a huge issue

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The term on Tanev is idiotic. The AAV is excellent and if he duplicates what he did last year next season, he's a bargain in the short term.
So is Tanevs a good contract then? I'm confused?

3.5 million for a career high 29pts at age 27 by a guy who's 180lbs and if he plays like last year will not stay healthy.

If you think Tanev was a good target then you must have loved the Roussel deal correct? Same kind of player...very similar results one year younger than Tanev when its done.

I'm not sure why Tanev is being related to Ferland who has been better is a sought after commodity in that he has hands is a tank and will be 3yrs younger than Tanev when his deal expires.

Not sure the point of the squabble

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes, it is demonstrating why a wait and see approach would have been more preferable than sign right away without thinking approach. Honestly, unless the free agent is an elite talent, or is signing at a home town discount, I don't think it makes too much sense to sign really quickly.
Yes that would be a smart strategy when all the players you actually want go elsewhere??

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So is Tanevs a good contract then? I'm confused?

3.5 million for a career high 29pts at age 27 by a guy who's 180lbs and if he plays like last year will not stay healthy.

If you think Tanev was a good target then you must have loved the Roussel deal correct? Same kind of player...very similar results one year younger than Tanev when its done.

I'm not sure why Tanev is being related to Ferland who has been better is a sought after commodity in that he has hands is a tank and will be 3yrs younger than Tanev when his deal expires.

Not sure the point of the squabble

I think Brandon Tanev's contract is a solid AAV but a terrible term, so not a very good contract overall but I think this player is criminally underrated and the contract not as bad as some are making out.

Roussel was brutal the year before we signed him and is also pretty average defensively (unlike Tanev). But if he'd played like this in 17-18 and then we signed him to that contract I would have been OK with it - he was excellent value last year before getting hurt.

It's come up relative to Ferland because a few people have used the AAV on Tanev as an example to prove Ferland is terrific value ... and I obviously disagree and think Tanev is the better player.

And again, I think Tanev is incredibly similar to a 2008-era Alex Burrows and that the first 3 years of their late-blooming careers are fascinatingly identical. This is not to say he's going to have a Burrows-type breakout but I think everyone here knows how good Burrows was as a checker before being put with the Sedins.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think Brandon Tanev's contract is a solid AAV but a terrible term, so not a very good contract overall but I think this player is criminally underrated and the contract not as bad as some are making out.

Roussel was brutal the year before we signed him and is also pretty average defensively (unlike Tanev). But if he'd played like this in 17-18 and then we signed him to that contract I would have been OK with it - he was excellent value last year before getting hurt.

It's come up relative to Ferland because a few people have used the AAV on Tanev as an example to prove Ferland is terrific value ... and I obviously disagree and think Tanev is the better player.

And again, I think Tanev is incredibly similar to a 2008-era Alex Burrows and that the first 3 years of their late-blooming careers are fascinatingly identical. This is not to say he's going to have a Burrows-type breakout but I think everyone here knows how good Burrows was as a checker before being put with the Sedins.
Fair enough.

Tanev is very similar to Burrows . Thats actually a very good comparison. I'm not sure he has the ability to produce like Alex in him but see the similarities in style and effectiveness in 2 zones from his breakthrough season last year. Alex was a snipe show so we'll see on that one....easier said than done, Alex was a freak.

Tanev if he can finish somewhat reliably has a tremendous opportunity adding some juice to Malkin or Crosby who are now solidly into their 30s. Could be the opportunity of a lifetime which could pay some dividends to both given Brandons work rate and speed.

The only issue with Tanev is....is it sustainable (his tenacity and health) and can he finish enough to be a top6 or a high end 3rd liner. I see the makings like you do but i also saw late last year teams taking runs at him to slow him down a bit and he was getting up slow from some pretty nasty hits and altercations. He's feisty as shit but at 180lbs it might be a tall order to keep playing like that and if he cant offset it with higher productivity it could become a big dollar for a grinder............we'll see

Reactions: MS

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
brandon tanev is a smaller hansen and his brother's injury history does not bode well. i am not even sure tanev can live up to billing in the short term with a new coach and new team after watching what a change of scenery did to hansen. if he adjusts, he is still one injury away from losing either the mobility or the ability to handle traffic that are needed to keep him in the nhl. and then there is the toll that age and mileage will take on his kind of game. nobody saw hansen going off a cliff until he went, and i was shocked when he said his body could not longer answer the bell at 32.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Damn. Ottawa just traded Smith for Ansimov. They are totally into the higher cap hit than salary - went with the guy with a lower cap hit, salary and term however.

#Loutica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad