Around the League: 2019 Offseason || Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yes that would be a smart strategy when all the players you actually want go elsewhere??

If you have a single track mind and believe that only one player of an entire free agency class is able to make your team substantially better, then sure, sign that player right away. But to my point, that player is almost always going to be an elite player, which Myers isn't. In terms of non-elite players, I believe these players fit into general classes, and good GMs are able to appreciate this and negotiate with multiple players in the class. This puts them in the best position to sign a player from the particular class on the best terms. This strategy requires flexibility and an appreciation that there are different styles of players, all within the same class, which offer different attributes, but generally all improve the team in a similar way.

Benning is shockingly poor at this, and always seems to rigidly target one player. When it becomes clear that a GM does not think that there are any other players in a player's class, then the target player has a huge amount of leverage leading to a poor contract.

Benning is like a guy walking into Best Buy that is set on buying a 55 inch Sony TV. Upon his arrival, Benning sees that every TV, including other Sony's of different sizes, is discounted by 50% but is unwilling to buy any of these TVs and settles on the 55 inch Sony TV at full price.

brandon tanev is a smaller hansen and his brother's injury history does not bode well. i am not even sure tanev can live up to billing in the short term with a new coach and new team after watching what a change of scenery did to hansen. if he adjusts, he is still one injury away from losing either the mobility or the ability to handle traffic that are needed to keep him in the nhl. and then there is the toll that age and mileage will take on his kind of game. nobody saw hansen going off a cliff until he went, and i was shocked when he said his body could not longer answer the bell at 32.

Is there any evidence that the likelihood of suffering injury is hereditary, or is this just baseless speculation?

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yes that would be a smart strategy when all the players you actually want go elsewhere??
Benning's best UFA signing prior to this year was one he signed in Vanek, so yes, it would be a smart strategy not to overpay in money and term for players who aren't any better. Especially for a team in this position.

Same could be said for trading a 1st round pick for JT Miller. Price was only going to come down. It'll be interesting to see how many more 1st rounders get traded this summer....wouldn't bet on it any.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I think Brandon Tanev's contract is a solid AAV but a terrible term, so not a very good contract overall but I think this player is criminally underrated and the contract not as bad as some are making out.

Roussel was brutal the year before we signed him and is also pretty average defensively (unlike Tanev). But if he'd played like this in 17-18 and then we signed him to that contract I would have been OK with it - he was excellent value last year before getting hurt.

It's come up relative to Ferland because a few people have used the AAV on Tanev as an example to prove Ferland is terrific value ... and I obviously disagree and think Tanev is the better player.

And again, I think Tanev is incredibly similar to a 2008-era Alex Burrows and that the first 3 years of their late-blooming careers are fascinatingly identical. This is not to say he's going to have a Burrows-type breakout but I think everyone here knows how good Burrows was as a checker before being put with the Sedins.
Crosby made Connor Sheary a 50+ point player....I think you'll see his totals rise like crazy. And even if they just hold, in his role that's pretty damn good for a guy who can get buried in his own zone with middle of the pack talent and come out shining.

Seems more like Hansen than Burrows to me, if we're making a comparison to a former Canuck. Never thought Burrows was a burner, whereas Hansen was, and Tanev is.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Crosby made Connor Sheary a 50+ point player....I think you'll see his totals rise like crazy. And even if they just hold, in his role that's pretty damn good for a guy who can get buried in his own zone with middle of the pack talent and come out shining.

Seems more like Hansen than Burrows to me, if we're making a comparison to a former Canuck. Never thought Burrows was a burner, whereas Hansen was, and Tanev is.
Pls stop justifying the Tanev contract
6 years for a bottom 6er in his late 20s is terrible no matter how you look at it

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Benning's best UFA signing prior to this year was one he signed in Vanek, so yes, it would be a smart strategy not to overpay in money and term for players who aren't any better. Especially for a team in this position.

Same could be said for trading a 1st round pick for JT Miller. Price was only going to come down. It'll be interesting to see how many more 1st rounders get traded this summer....wouldn't bet on it any.
Vanek ?? lol 4 months of a guy good in 1 zone?

And just what position do you think were in. Horvat will be 25 by the end of next season? How long should you wait to make some moves to get better

Teams pay 1st rounders for rentals. If it isn't a lottery pick and Miller can provide 20 goals and 50pts avg its a win.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If you have a single track mind and believe that only one player of an entire free agency class is able to make your team substantially better, then sure, sign that player right away. But to my point, that player is almost always going to be an elite player, which Myers isn't. In terms of non-elite players, I believe these players fit into general classes, and good GMs are able to appreciate this and negotiate with multiple players in the class. This puts them in the best position to sign a player from the particular class on the best terms. This strategy requires flexibility and an appreciation that there are different styles of players, all within the same class, which offer different attributes, but generally all improve the team in a similar way.

Benning is shockingly poor at this, and always seems to rigidly target one player. When it becomes clear that a GM does not think that there are any other players in a player's class, then the target player has a huge amount of leverage leading to a poor contract.

Benning is like a guy walking into Best Buy that is set on buying a 55 inch Sony TV. Upon his arrival, Benning sees that every TV, including other Sony's of different sizes, is discounted by 50% but is unwilling to buy any of these TVs and settles on the 55 inch Sony TV at full price.
Benning targets specific players with specific traits he wants. He usually is willing to meet or exceed the market to get the Target.

He's not shopping for a deal playing moneypuck....he has a cap owner and wants what he wants........not a f***ing 40"tv when he wants a 55 for his specific space above his fireplace.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Vanek ?? lol 4 months of a guy good in 1 zone?

And just what position do you think were in. Horvat will be 25 by the end of next season? How long should you wait to make some moves to get better

Teams pay 1st rounders for rentals. If it isn't a lottery pick and Miller can provide 20 goals and 50pts avg its a win.
Yeah not my problem that’s one of Benning’s best acquisitions!!

I don’t think it makes sense to trade first rounders just because Horvat will be 25.

If Miller produces that and it doesn’t get the team in the playoffs it’s a massive mistake. There’s opportunity cost potential there.

Teams give up firsts for rentals when they’re playoff teams. Not when they’re following the past 4 seasons of hockey this team has put on the ice.

But by your follow post about the tv’s for your mantle it just seems like you’re fine with a cookie cutter approach to team building. I’m not. Especially after the work we’ve seen from the guy in charge to date.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Isn't the fact that he slows down and his body doesn't hold up an issue for you? These issues will only be more pronounced as he ages.

He had 6 goals in 2019. Good enough for 12th for forwards in goals per game on his own team after the new year.

Him staying healthy is a concern. It's also a concern for Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi, Boeser, Pettersson, Roussel, Myers, Virtanen etc... There aren't that many guys where you feel confident they won't get hurt. Even then, Brandon Sutter was one of the most durable players in the NHL when we traded for him and he's missed a ton of time since. Injuries are commonplace among guys that have a decent amount of pro experience.

As to your 2nd point, Ferland apparently dressed for like 10 games where he ended up pulling himself out because he wasn't good to go once the game was underway. If that is accurate, his PPG on the season is that much more impressive. And he scored at a 46 point pace without even taking that into account. Dressing and leaving the game could also help explain his falling production late in the year where he battled injury.

Ferland's durability will always be the biggest question mark with him. I would be more worried about it if the Canucks still had the dearth of wingers we saw the last few years. Going into this season there are 5 left wingers I don't think would look out of place on a 2nd line. Miller, Ferland, Pearson, Baertschi and Roussel. That makes it less of an issue IMO.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Man. Sometimes I completely forget the end of Lindros’ career. Like the fact that he was in the 2007 Stars/Canucks series, for one. But also the fact that he ever played for the Leafs.

Going off topic but the names that went through the Leafs during that period was just insane. If you were to make a pointless exercise of which teams roster from a season would be the best if everyone on it was in their prime I think one of these Leaf teams would take it. Not the Lindros Leafs because it was lacking dmen, but just the season before the 03-04 Leafs roster would be:

G.Roberts-J.Nieuwendyk-A.Moginly
R.Reichel-R.Francis-O.Nolan
D.Tucker-M.Sundin-M.Renberg
A.Ponikarovsky-N.Antropov-T.Domi

B.Leetch-C.Johansson
B.McCabe-T.Kaberle
B.Marchment-K.Klee

E.Belfour
T.Kidd

M.Stajan, T.Fitzgerald. D.Berehowsky

Barring someone taking a stance of 'this team had Gretzky/Lemieux so they win automatically' it would be hard to find a better or more complete 'prime' team than that.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Going off topic but the names that went through the Leafs during that period was just insane. If you were to make a pointless exercise of which teams roster from a season would be the best if everyone on it was in their prime I think one of these Leaf teams would take it. Not the Lindros Leafs because it was lacking dmen, but just the season before the 03-04 Leafs roster would be:

G.Roberts-J.Nieuwendyk-A.Moginly
R.Reichel-R.Francis-O.Nolan
D.Tucker-M.Sundin-M.Renberg
A.Ponikarovsky-N.Antropov-T.Domi

B.Leetch-C.Johansson
B.McCabe-T.Kaberle
B.Marchment-K.Klee

E.Belfour
T.Kidd

M.Stajan, T.Fitzgerald. D.Berehowsky

Barring someone taking a stance of 'this team had Gretzky/Lemieux so they win automatically' it would be hard to find a better or more complete 'prime' team than that.
Man I hope that isn't the destiny of EP. Sundin a HHOFer, that except for a few seasons, got stuck with garbage mostly as his wingers.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
TFW it's the offseason and you miss jumping into the glass for your celly.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Looks like Ron Francis will be the new GM in Seattle.
Not a bad hire to be honest...

I was hoping he would be available by the end of the upcoming season but Seattle not wasting anytime bringing him into the fold.

Smart move, guy is a proven winner and seems to have a great mind for the game.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
I was hoping he would be available by the end of the upcoming season but Seattle not wasting anytime bringing him into the fold.

Smart move, guy is a proven winner and seems to have a great mind for the game.
Ron Francis - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps (Dane Fox for future considerations had me in shock because I thought it was Adam Fox)

Overall drafting needs some improving but he clearly has the ability to obtain assets from rentals and cap crunches to fuel those drafts. Slavin and Pesce contracts are marvellous. Turning Ron Hainsey into Trevor Van Riemsdyk is one that stands out to me after the more obvious successes. Interesting to see how he does with a clean slate with Seattle although I wouldn't mind one bit if he was the GM of the Canucks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ron Francis - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps (Dane Fox for future considerations had me in shock because I thought it was Adam Fox)

Overall drafting needs some improving but he clearly has the ability to obtain assets from rentals and cap crunches to fuel those drafts. Slavin and Pesce contracts are marvellous. Turning Ron Hainsey into Trevor Van Riemsdyk is one that stands out to me after the more obvious successes. Interesting to see how he does with a clean slate with Seattle although I wouldn't mind one bit if he was the GM of the Canucks.
Carolina operating with a strict budget.

See how he fares when money isn’t an issue.

Thought I heard that he needed to sell his minority interest in Carolina to take another gm job. Has that happened yet?

Reactions: HelloCookie

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Carolina operating with a strict budget.

See how he fares when money isn’t an issue.

Thought I heard that he needed to sell his minority interest in Carolina to take another gm job. Has that happened yet?
Yeah I agree that Seattle will have more funds for off-ice personnel, which probably should affect positively in scouting.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Or maybe....this market has a nostalgic bias for Gillis
Perhaps. But I also would be highly interested in him for GM if he had never managed the Canucks before. He has gone through a lot of self improvement and after hearing him in the interview about his self study at top tier sports organisations in Europe and looking to apply that to the NHL and such, it really showed me a man who would be willing to try new ideas and take risks to get an edge on his competition.

Reactions: DecideFreedom

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
To be fair Eriksson came off a back to back 30 goals performance when he signed that contract, most people expected him to gave us at least 2 good years. It was a more justifiable signing than Brandon Tanev
No he didnt he 22 golas the year before he hit 30 and 10 goals the year before that

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Or maybe....this market has a nostalgic bias for Gillis
nhl-hockey-awards-las-vegas-usa-shutterstock-editorial-6276219l.jpg

"Nostalgic bias"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad