Around the League 2019 offseason II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don’t understand why buy him out. You have to take the full cap hit anyways. Make him show up to camp or force him to retire (saving some real money in the process).

Seems odd to be willing to pay $3 million for a first essentially and then haggle with Aho on an extension

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I don’t understand why buy him out. You have to take the full cap hit anyways. Make him show up to camp or force him to retire (saving some real money in the process).

Seems odd to be willing to pay $3 million for a first essentially and then haggle with Aho on an extension
what if he wants to keep playing ?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Well they said publicly that they were hoping to convince him to play for them.

That talk was all a sham. Marleau would only approve a deal to a team that would buy him out so he could go to SJ.

Carolina has to pretend to ask him to play for them so that this deal isn’t looked at as cap circumvention, instead it looks more like a Richard Matvichuk situation where the Leafs gave a pick up for cap space and then Carolina sadly bought him out even though they really wanted him(not really).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Sharks are gonna be a joke this year.

40 year old versions Marleau and Thornton, possibly no Pavelski and over $12.5 million for Jones and Vlasic to get abused most nights.

Reactions: Darkauron

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I read today he wants to play...in California

Yes. What I’m saying is Carolina said they were hoping to convince him to play in Carolina this year after trading for the contract. If that were true then they should have said we aren’t going buy you out and if you don’t want to play here then retire. He plays great, that is what you publicly stated. He doesn’t then you have saved an extra 800k on the buyout (as the bonus has to be paid anyways).

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yes. What I’m saying is Carolina said they were hoping to convince him to play in Carolina this year after trading for the contract. If that were true then they should have said we aren’t going buy you out and if you don’t want to play here then retire. He plays great, that is what you publicly stated. He doesn’t then you have saved an extra 800k on the buyout (as the bonus has to be paid anyways).

It would be a bad faith play. Marleau's 40 with a family, he doesn't want to move to a new city, especially since supposedly it's his family's unhappiness in Toronto that forced this move in the first place. Between that and trading a guy you signed long-term a year after acquiring him, agents would probably be trying to steer people away from Raleigh.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Let the Kings sign him. They love these types of old men.
its a fine line between having a team of veterans and having a team of washed up has-been's. Remember how good the Kings were just a few years ago, and the Ducks were good too, but now ...
I can see the Pens, Caps and maybe your Sharks falling out of contention if they're not careful

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
It would be a bad faith play. Marleau's 40 with a family, he doesn't want to move to a new city, especially since supposedly it's his family's unhappiness in Toronto that forced this move in the first place. Between that and trading a guy you signed long-term a year after acquiring him, agents would probably be trying to steer people away from Raleigh.
Why? they're not horrible, they are a up and coming team, and NC is a nice place to live

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I read today he wants to play...in California

Sure sounds like cap circumventing to me. Leafs need space trade him to a team they know he has no intention to play for. That team is in on it and “tries” to convince him to play but he ends up getting to go play on a lesser cap hit for the team he wants

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
its a fine line between having a team of veterans and having a team of washed up has-been's. Remember how good the Kings were just a few years ago, and the Ducks were good too, but now ...
I can see the Pens, Caps and maybe your Sharks falling out of contention if they're not careful
Definitely agree on the Sharks. Pens and Caps are probably not really contenders right now, but I also don't see their window as having closed yet.

The Sharks will probably still make the playoffs, but they don't scream contender to me this year. Goaltending was a joke last year, Vlasic is a trash defenseman (at this point) that plays too many of their minutes. Hopefully having Karlsson locked down long term helps kick him back and I do LOVE that they traded Braun, who has no use anymore.

They shouldn't have BOTH Thornton and Marleau on the roster next year. Pick one or the other. One is fine, but two is overkill.

I think they're still a playoff team, but maybe not if Jones has another poor year. I think Jones might be better than he was last year but at the end of the day, he's just a mediocre to average NHL goaltender.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do love Marleau but like Marty in 2014, it's time to move on or in this case, stay moved on.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Definitely agree on the Sharks. Pens and Caps are probably not really contenders right now, but I also don't see their window as having closed yet.

The Sharks will probably still make the playoffs, but they don't scream contender to me this year. Goaltending was a joke last year, Vlasic is a trash defenseman (at this point) that plays too many of their minutes. Hopefully having Karlsson locked down long term helps kick him back and I do LOVE that they traded Braun, who has no use anymore.

They shouldn't have BOTH Thornton and Marleau on the roster next year. Pick one or the other. One is fine, but two is overkill.

I think they're still a playoff team, but maybe not if Jones has another poor year. I think Jones might be better than he was last year but at the end of the day, he's just a mediocre to average NHL goaltender.
Then why does your thing say "Martin Jones is god" :sarcasm:

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad