Around the League 2019 offseason II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Marleau's agent did a superb job. Even if he ends up signing a minimum deal with San Jose, he'll get a slight pay increase from the 4.25 mil he would have been due to this season.

Also for a moment, I thought that Pavel Zacha's highlight reel goal was the last one that Roberto Luongo gave up. But I had forgotten that game got to OT and Zajac got the eventual Hughes clincher.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yeah but what's the benefit for carolina? just a pick in the 20s? for that cost?

i'm sayin waddell got ripped off

you wouldn't take a free first round pick for $3 million dollars and a minimal cap charge for 2 years? Especially when we aren't going to be a cap team?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
yeah but what's the benefit for carolina? just a pick in the 20s? for that cost?

i'm sayin waddell got ripped off

The benefit is a first round pick for $3,000,000 and spread out money for two years... if they hit on that pick they won't have to pay him for 5 years.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
you wouldn't take a free first round pick for $3 million dollars and a minimal cap charge for 2 years? Especially when we aren't going to be a cap team?

The benefit is a first round pick for $3,000,000 and spread out money for two years... if they hit on that pick they won't have to pay him for 5 years.

i think i'm just suddenly looking at it like the average salaried person i am - Dundon is willing to pay that $3mil just for that pick, and it's crazy to me that someone can be that rich to do that on a draft pick i guess ahaha

Reactions: BenedictGomez

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i think i'm just suddenly looking at it like the average salaried person i am - Dundon is willing to pay that $3mil just for that pick, and it's crazy to me that someone can be that rich to do that on a draft pick i guess ahaha

People here were preemptively calling the owners cheap if they didn't pay $4-5 million just to go up several spots in the first round. Of course it's easy with someone else's money but still $3 million is more than a fair price for a first-round pick outright.

It's also ideally one less free agent you have to pay for or player you have to trade for down the road since you generally count on first-rounders to at least cheaply fill a lineup spot for several years.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I'll be in the minority here that doesn't think you're crazy to question that logic.

If the pick doesn't hit, it's like taking $3,833,000 and putting it into a toilet & hitting flush.

It we assume Toronto will yield something from #23 to #31 (which I think likely), the odds of drafting a useful NHL player (defined as playing > 200 games) in that area is roughly 44% to 38%*.

So we already know there's less than a 50/50 chance Carolina's gamble pays off. If we want to visualize this, it's significantly mathematically worse than putting ~$4M on a roulette table and betting on red or black. Meh, at that price I'd rather buy 4 of American Pharoah's colts were I inclined to gamble a ton on sports!

*The Data

Reactions: Nubmer6

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not just a matter of whether the pick hits or not, it (or the Canes' own first-rounder) could also theoretically be used in a trade because they have an extra.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
3 million for a pick in the 20's (probably) is a lot of money. its no sure thing early in the draft let alone in the back of the draft.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
3 million for a pick in the 20's (probably) is a lot of money. its no sure thing early in the draft let alone in the back of the draft.

you were the one telling me yesterday that luongo’s decision that will cost the canucks $3m+ for 3 years was no problem for them, right? but you think this will be a problem for carolina?

great deal for the canes

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
you were the one telling me yesterday that luongo’s decision that will cost the canucks $3m+ for 3 years was no problem for them, right? but you think this will be a problem for carolina?

great deal for the canes
luongo's retirement wasn't their decision though, and strictly from a cap situation it's fine

voluntarily taking on $3mil debt for a pick in (most likely) the 20s is kinda nuts though, from an objective standpoint. idk, i feel like we never see trades like that.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
luongo's retirement wasn't their decision though, and strictly from a cap situation it's fine

voluntarily taking on $3mil debt for a pick in (most likely) the 20s is kinda nuts though, from an objective standpoint. idk, i feel like we never see trades like that.

it’s not fine lol. that’s the cost of a decent roster player for 3 years. it sucks for vancouver. carolina’s deal isn’t nuts, they have over $20M in cap space and now TWELVE picks in 2020, including 6 in the first 3 rounds

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
What? You guys are seriously questioning the Marleau deal as bad for Carolina? Shero has made a few deals like that; see Savard and other cap dumps for less. It is absolutely worth it.

Dundon is loaded. Who cares about three million dollars from an owner's perspective, unless the team is on the brink of bankruptcy or the owner is Melnyk, Eugene. A first is a first. Very valuable piece that could help the Canes load up next playoffs, or just another piece for their prospect system. Eating a contract for a first round pick is well worth it considering the reward if the Leafs were to suck, and just the pure value of possessing an asset like that.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
What? You guys are seriously questioning the Marleau deal as bad for Carolina? Shero has made a few deals like that; see Savard and other cap dumps for less. It is absolutely worth it.

Dundon is loaded. Who cares about three million dollars from an owner's perspective, unless the team is on the brink of bankruptcy or the owner is Melnyk, Eugene. A first is a first. Very valuable piece that could help the Canes load up next playoffs, or just another piece for their prospect system. Eating a contract for a first round pick is well worth it considering the reward if the Leafs were to suck, and just the pure value of possessing an asset like that.
Savard didn't cost real money since he was on IR. It was purely cap space.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'll be in the minority here that doesn't think you're crazy to question that logic.

If the pick doesn't hit, it's like taking $3,833,000 and putting it into a toilet & hitting flush.

It we assume Toronto will yield something from #23 to #31 (which I think likely), the odds of drafting a useful NHL player (defined as playing > 200 games) in that area is roughly 44% to 38%*.

So we already know there's less than a 50/50 chance Carolina's gamble pays off. If we want to visualize this, it's significantly mathematically worse than putting ~$4M on a roulette table and betting on red or black. Meh, at that price I'd rather buy 4 of American Pharoah's colts were I inclined to gamble a ton on sports!

*The Data
It's a lot easier to do if you're below the cap floor and need to spend that money anyway. It's definitely a gamble money-wise for Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad