GDT: Around the League 2019-20 v26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
And the incompetence always seems to break Tampa's way one more time than the other team. What have they won, 8 games in OT now?
They've taken 16 more penalties than they've drawn this postseason.

17/24 teams in penalties drawn.

12/24 teams in penalties taken.

20/24 teams in net penalties (drawn - taken/60).

They're Top 3 in PIM/game (yes, there are some majors and misconducts thrown in there, but still).

The difference between Dallas and Tampa here is that in this series Dallas PP is 7% and their PK is at 60%.

Last edited:

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Benn is such a good offensive player, almost a poor man's Draisaitl. But can the Stars win with Jamie Benn leading. the way? :sarcasm:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Watched the game with my buddy in the home theatre in the basement with some great beers and wings and ribs and other delectable hi calorie artery clogging finger food.

Then I spilled my supper all over the basement rug by the bar. The dog was happy. I was sad. And my wife will be pissed when she sees the mess I made of the basement carpet.

My solution was to clean it up the best I could with a roll of paper towels and a can of Pro Solve spray foam carpet cleaner and the dog who ate the big chunks.

My daughter who is never dating @Cloned said it didn’t look that bad as there was already a stain there from another bygone party that was probably my fault as well so maybe I’ll be ok with Misses 5 Mins 4 Ftg.

All I know is we barely paid attention to the game and talked Oiler rumours for 5 hours tonight and drank some mighty fine beers and there’s enough leftover hot wings to make a decent round 2 tomorrow night when Tampa wins the cup.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Watched the game with my buddy in the home theatre in the basement with some great beers and wings and ribs and other delectable hi calorie artery clogging finger food.

Then I spilled my supper all over the basement rug by the bar. The dog was happy. I was sad. And my wife will be pissed when she sees the mess I made of the basement carpet.

My solution was to clean it up the best I could with a roll of paper towels and a can of Pro Solve spray foam carpet cleaner and the dog who ate the big chunks.

My daughter who is never dating @Cloned said it didn’t look that bad as there was already a stain there from another bygone party that was probably my fault as well so maybe I’ll be ok with Misses 5 Mins 4 Ftg.

All I know is we barely paid attention to the game and talked Oiler rumours for 5 hours tonight and drank some mighty fine beers and there’s enough leftover hot wings to make a decent round 2 tomorrow night when Tampa wins the cup.
Well, at least you know I wasn't responsible for that stain!

:sarcasm:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
By my count they deserved 1 PP tonight. Thats the thing. Dallas played smart, were determined to stay out of the box, and were still shorthanded 4 times because its apparently a league requirement to feed Tampa spurious PP's.

EV tonight Dallas were by far the better team. That usually matters in the playoffs.

Dallas played well tonight, deserved to win. Refs had other ideas.
Dallas played smart?

Didn't look like Benn was too smart when he tried to slew foot the midget.

Is that the great leadership you've been talking about all playoffs?

Reactions: TB12 and Zaddy

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

He'd sound like a pretty good fall guy to blame the stain on.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Not the German game. Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, Holland maybe.

Arjen Robben should play for Tampa. Would fit right in. 5 dives/minute

Oh look Robbens gets shot in the box again. That guy made me sick.

Arjen_Robben_2958991b.jpg
Idk man, i think neymar beats robben any day of the week lol.
22D77E5C-C33E-4EFC-88B1-5B05F6F4882B.jpeg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A cup-winning team shouldn’t have to rely on the power play to win.

Yep. I'm a purist. This has never been what the playoffs is about for any team but Tampa.

Look, goals in series, total, are Tampa 14- Dallas 12. Very slim edge.

But Tampa has 6PP goals and Dallas has 1PP goal.

Meaning that Dallas have 10EV goals and one shorthanded goal in the series and Tampa has 8EV goals and no shorties.

On the run of hockey playoff play, which is EV hockey, which usually reigns supreme in playoffs, the better EV team wins.

Yet here we are in a critical game and the refs are making penalty calls in OT. Which only favors Tampa due to respective injuries and the Stars having no pk left.

I mean go back in your minds and how many times was a key SC final OT game decided on a nothing penalty call that had nothing to do with the play on ice. The play was inconsequential, didn't result in a scoring chance, didnt take one away.

Refs in SC final OT would typically let a play go like that almost all the time. But last night they called it and thats lilely the series.

The irony being that Tampa gets the PP, milked by the guy should have been suspended for a vicious dirty play knocking a Dallas pk player out of the same game.

So Dallas now short 4-5pk players due to injuries, and Johnson is out on the ice for the PP. you can bet Benn was fuming about that too and he should be. That was just a standard hockey play and two guys going for the puck. One guy, predictably, who makes a career of this, decides to milk an OT call out of it.

Trouble is Tampa have several of these players that are good at jobbing officials. Have done that whole careers. One of the things that opponent clubs complain about a lot. Yet there's Tamps crying foul at a rare embellishment call earlier. Something they try a dozen times a game.

its why a lot of players, and fans, dislike the Tampa Bay Lightning. They aren't beating their opponent on the ice without significant help from officiating.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now game by game, lets look back at the Tampa wins in the series.

in Game 2 Tampa are frustrated after getting blown out in game 1. Top line including Point are squeezing sticks. hey, no prob Tampa, we got you. NHL gives them 3 PP's in first period, in one period, in a SC final, lol, and Tampa converts first 2 goals on PP, huge advantage, totally on the basis of the PP and bogus calls. Tamps stakes out a 3-0 lead and Dallas come back and nearly tie game multiple times in 3rd period. Tampa eke out a w due to the PP goals.

In Game 3 Dallas is again coming back after being down 2-0. Dallas just scores, have momentum, and then 3 quick calls against Dallas, and Tampa gets the all important 3rd goal to change the outcome of the game.

Last night Dallas early in control up 2-0. The bogus penalties start, Dallas momentum averted, Tampa score 3PP goals in one game, take the game. Thanks officials.

Thats 3 games in a row where Tampa got the help, like another poster stated, just when they needed it in every one of those games.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Yep. I'm a purist. This has never been what the playoffs is about for any team but Tampa.

Look, goals in series, total, are Tampa 14- Dallas 12. Very slim edge.

But Tampa has 6PP goals and Dallas has 1PP goal.

Meaning that Dallas have 10EV goals and one shorthanded goal in the series and Tampa has 8EV goals and no shorties.

On the run of hockey playoff play, which is EV hockey, which usually reigns supreme in playoffs, the better EV team wins.

Yet here we are in a critical game and the refs are making penalty calls in OT. Which only favors Tampa due to respective injuries and the Stars having no pk left.

I mean go back in your minds and how many times was a key SC final OT game decided on a nothing penalty call that had nothing to do with the play on ice. The play was inconsequential, didn't result in a scoring chance, didnt take one away.

Refs in SC final OT would typically let a play go like that almost all the time. But last night they called it and thats lilely the series.

The irony being that Tampa gets the PP, milked by the guy should have been suspended for a vicious dirty play knocking a Dallas pk player out of the same game.

So Dallas now short 4-5pk players due to injuries, and Johnson is out on the ice for the PP. you can bet Benn was fuming about that too and he should be. That was just a standard hockey play and two guys going for the puck. One guy, predictably, who makes a career of this, decides to milk an OT call out of it.

Trouble is Tampa have several of these players that are good at jobbing officials. Have done that whole careers. One of the things that opponent clubs complain about a lot. Yet there's Tamps crying foul at a rare embellishment call earlier. Something they try a dozen times a game.

its why a lot of players, and fans, dislike the Tampa Bay Lightning. They aren't beating their opponent on the ice without significant help from officiating.

Again with the narrative to fit your biases. Maybe you should look up the stats before making a post like this.

Tampa has the most PIMs, 3rd highest PIM/GP (behind Rangers and Wild), three fewer penalty drawn than Dallas but four fewer penalties taken. There's really no advantage to Tampa here. It's purely imagined from your point of view.

You can't seriously fault Tampa for having more effective special teams?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I find it crazy that NHLers aren't expected to perform after signing their huge deals. Once they ink a long-term deal they can just stop giving a f*** pretty much and collect a paycheck. Guy after guy getting bought out of their huge deals. Honestly, the CBA needs to fixed. These guys should have much lower base salary and a bigger part of their deals should be in performance bonuses and depending on how well they perform that's the number that should count towards the cap at the end of the year. Because this system is broken.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Wonder how long Vaselineski's 17+ playoff wins in a single year record holds.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I bought some for leaking atv rims , which are basically unrepairable anyway it seems. Haven't tried it though

The wheels probably need the bead area ground down and a special rubber sealant applied to the tire’s bead area to prevent bead leaks. Don’t use that slime crap. If you ever puncture the tire you’ll have to replace it rather than repair it as that crap coats the interior of the tire making applying a patch impossible and the tire unrepairable.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
They've taken 16 more penalties than they've drawn this postseason.

17/24 teams in penalties drawn.

12/24 teams in penalties taken.

20/24 teams in net penalties (drawn - taken/60).

They're Top 3 in PIM/game (yes, there are some majors and misconducts thrown in there, but still).

The difference between Dallas and Tampa here is that in this series Dallas PP is 7% and their PK is at 60%.

It's about the timing of all these calls. Tampa has had constant PPs in OT and late in close games. Any time they seem to be at risk of going into a precarious position, a zebra is there to gift them a PP. Tampa about to go into the 3rd period down 3-2 last night? Nope, ref had to find a late hooking penalty and get the game tied up. It's always just when Tampa could use a PP that the refs decide to call things tight like in the regular season. You can say it gets evened up in terms of the number of calls, but the team that depends on the PP for offense will take this situation all day.

Bottom line is Tampa has not been a great even strength team these playoffs because even after all these years they still don't think they should have to work hard for their goals and play real playoff hockey. But they're going to win a Cup thanks to PPs and regular season officiating, which is lame and unprecedented as far as I can remember. The Lightning don't earn their calls, many of which happen behind the play. Early season stuff that shouldn't be getting called in the playoffs.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad