GDT: Around the League 2019-20 v26

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
@Aerchon

Eberle was absolutely in decline in Edmonton. I think it's safe to say there was some exaggeration in how poorly he did decline but by the same token... "Dumb fans like to scapegoat their BEST PLAYERS".... Eberle was not one of our players for awhile.
Eberle was always one of the Oilers best players. He may not have played the game you like, but talent vs talent he was right up there. At least you acknowledge there was ‘some exaggeration’ regarding his ‘decline’. Was the player the Oilers traded the same player who broke into the league? Obviously not. He was eight years older and had the privilege of playing on one of the worst, most disorganized teams in the league for his whole career. He was also stapled to a guy with zero offensive imagination for most of those years, which really cuts into what a player like Eberle (who relies on creativity) can accomplish. In 200 plus regular season games Eberle has put up 0.62 ppg on the Island. Is that world beating? No, but it’s hardly an indication of the kind of ‘decline’ his detractors bang on about - especially when you consider he’s gone 0.86 ppg over 26 playoff games as an Islander. Guess the Oilers couldn’t have used any of that production in falling to the Hawks eh?

Eberle took a paycut when most players are looking for big raises/retirement deals.
And? He signed a $28 million deal for five seasons as a 29 year old. Why is this a strike against him? Committing to a team that had just seen Tavares walk away and taking a slight pay cut in exchange for term? Isn’t that exactly what we always wish Oiler players would do? Maybe he’s just not as greedy as some players are and wanted to stay where he was?

He is also playing for one of the best coaches at maximizing players.
So what? This is your hate for the player shining through. After eight season playing for the shittiest coaches in the league, you begrudge him the opportunity to finally have a coach who knows what he’s doing? Petty shit right there.

He is a career minus player.
Lol. Show me the Oiler players from the Eberle era that aren’t career minus. It’s a short list.

Even as one of NYI premium players, given every opportunity, he isn't even close to a ppg player.
He’s close. I just quoted the stat. Over two seasons he’s 0.86 ppg. I guess you think that the 11 guys who are ppg or better right now are the only ones not squandering their opportunities? Pretty high bar you are setting to define ‘in decline’.

Would I want him on our roster... hard to say. The way he was declining here in Edmonton definitely not. With how he played this year... maybe. 5.5 is fairly reasonable for a top 6 winger.
A reasonable comment.

I take Strome over Eberle for the Oilers all day every day. Right now the Oilers are desperate for a Strome type player.
Followed by an unreasonable one.

If Puljujarvi comes back and plays even half as well as I think he "could" Eberle wouldn't even have a spot on our roster.
Followed by a laughable one.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Is anyone else yelling f*** You Flames at their TV sets when the Lays commercial comes on and we get Flames fans attempting to drown themselves in BC lakes? Or is it just me and my rum infused Flame rage? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad