GDT: Around the League 2019-20 v26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I don't know about you, but I think Bieksa is the best analyst they've hired in years.

The guy was just too gutless of a player and looks like too much of a prettyboy on that panel for me to take anything he says seriously.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
After the Nelson whiff and Barzal pissing away the PP by himself, you just knew the Isles weren't winning. You can't blow chances like that when you're not generating consistent scoring chances.

Burke is as close as we're getting to a Cherry at this point. Sportsnet has otherwise gone out of their way to assemble the most tame and unoffensive panel possible, and MacLean has just turned into a rambling idiot of a host. It's astoundingly bad. How on earth did a guy like Kypreos get fired in favour of Kevin f***ing Bieksa? Hell, I'd take Glenn Healy back at this point.

People don't like to admit it, but a lot of us watched intermissions to see guys like Cherry, Milbury, and Roenick make edgy comments that pissed other people off and subtly promote violence. Nobody cares about some nuance that somebody spotted on a faceoff alignment or whatever they're talking about at this point.

I dont watch intermissions at the best of times but just FF ing Burke segments screws up my hdtv color processor...<no wait, this can't be human skin color, does not compute, reset color, reset color>

Now oranges look red..turnips are blue, I hate these telecasts, how bout you?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I like Bieksa more than I probably should. He's not half bad. he does have an on air personality and it conveys and some reasonable comments. Hated him as a player.

Burke I've hated all the time. Actually hate conveys too strongly. He's just a no nothing windbag that makes any thing he touches worse just by his presence. Plus we have to look at that beet red face and hair. I just turn the volume off and play AC/DC instead and it seems to mesh.

I just tune out Burke most of the time now. Bieksa is a breath of fresh air. Attitude combined with actual knowledge of the game.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Basically Reda and Rishaug were semi mocking Oilers fans, saying how we must be SOOOOOO triggered seeing Eberle score that OT winner, in Edmonton no less, and in the playoffs. Also, Barzal on the Isles must also hurt and trigger us.

Just stupid clickbait troll piece
I rolled my eyes when I saw that and stopped the video after ten seconds. Slow news day apparently.

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
A Stars vs Lightning final? Yay - I guess... Cool. :rolleyes: Whatever... I've never been so disinterested in a Stanley Cup final in the 14 years I've followed the NHL.

I haven't watched a game since we lost to Chicago. I'm still bitter about my team's underwhelming performance and the stunt the league played with their playoff format. Bitter enough to turn myself away from hockey completely until the day in the distant future the regular season returns. I've always been an Oilers fan first. I despise the Flames, Leafs, and Canucks who are eliminated too so to me nothing matters. Time to move on.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Now with the Isles out, this might be the first SC final in years that I'll ignore. Whoever wins it, congrats!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I've been OOTL for a bit as I've been on vacation but just saw that Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Arizona Coyotes. That's a terrific hire. I'm a big fan of his drafting in St. Louis. If he's as good at evaluating pro talent as he is with amateur talent he'll be a great GM. It's going to take a while to turn that franchise around but in 3-5 years they could be a solid playoff team. The Pacific division is going to get tougher in the coming years. Kings are building something great too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hopefully TB or DAL wins it in 4 so we can move on to the offseason.

I think we're all up down on this, Personally i thought following hockey in July and August was nuts and didn't want to. But now its late September and it feels right time for hockey. Strange that people are looking for an offseason in the Fall. Having a hard time getting my head around all this timing, heh.

I prefer hockey as a winter sport as a distraction from winter..or something to watch when its dark outside all the time.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think we're all up down on this, Personally i thought following hockey in July and August was nuts and didn't want to. But now its late September and it feels right time for hockey. Strange that people are looking for an offseason in the Fall. Having a hard time getting my head around all this timing, heh.

I prefer hockey as a winter sport as a distraction from winter..or something to watch when its dark outside all the time.

I'm not really enjoying the hockey itself. I like september hockey as well. Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Start of the regular season is a fun time with lots of new players and story lines to follow.

Right now were watching two teams play 2-1 hockey because the refs don't call anything and the games inevitably turn into a slugfest. All the entertaining teams to watch are gone and the Stanley Cup final just feels like a formality for me at this point.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not really enjoying the hockey itself. I like september hockey as well. Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Start of the regular season is a fun time with lots of new players and story lines to follow.

Right now were watching two teams play 2-1 hockey because the refs don't call anything and the games inevitably turn into a slugfest. All the entertaining teams to watch are gone and the Stanley Cup final just feels like a formality for me at this point.

I used to like TC at Rexall when I could attend it and just drive up there and park for free. No way I'm going to Rogers place to pay 20bucks to park to watch some scrimmages. I've gone to Rexall camps, Milennium place camps (they had multiple there in Sherwood park) plus the community rink is so butt ugly. That used to kickstart my interest in preseasons but now I'm pretty much not even watching streams in preseason. I usually don't observe too much now until the season starts. looks like a longish wait.

I'll have to find some soccer leagues or something else to watch. Feels weird that hockey won't be filling in this time of year. Its pretty much what Canada's association with hockey is about. Lifting us up through the long winters here.

The final should be interesting. Dallas needs to hit the ground running though. Tampa should legitimately be tired out. Kick em in the junk fast in game 1 and take that one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Really compressed SC final. looks like the feedback they are getting from the players is lets get this thing done asap.

Final starts on September 19th and all 7 games scheduled in September. Didn't expect that.

Dallas really needs to take advantage of the rest period they had. Tampa only gets a day off and then starting new series. Game 4,5 are B2B .

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

This has seriously been one of the least entertaining playoffs in recent memory. Most of the underdogs were gone by the second round and not even overtime is all that exciting. That 5OT game to start with was fun but since then it's just been a slog of messy play.

I'm ready for the offseason. Let's start the draft already.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Alik Bordour

Jun 26, 2004
I've been OOTL for a bit as I've been on vacation but just saw that Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Arizona Coyotes. That's a terrific hire. I'm a big fan of his drafting in St. Louis. If he's as good at evaluating pro talent as he is with amateur talent he'll be a great GM. It's going to take a while to turn that franchise around but in 3-5 years they could be a solid playoff team. The Pacific division is going to get tougher in the coming years. Kings are building something great too.

With Kraken instead of Coyotes, you're probably right.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

That would be difficult to be away for. I know we rag on the high paid athletes about being away from home for a couple of months, but in cases like this, and I’m sure many other similar ones, the emotional and mental issues are understandable.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Really compressed SC final. looks like the feedback they are getting from the players is lets get this thing done asap.

Final starts on September 19th and all 7 games scheduled in September. Didn't expect that.

Dallas really needs to take advantage of the rest period they had. Tampa only gets a day off and then starting new series. Game 4,5 are B2B .
Seems unlikely that the players will be sticking around to tour the mall after.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I think there will be far less interest in this now. The Oilers back playing caused a lot of initial excitement. Now that they are out, and the colossal screwups they had with previous draws, not sure they will even hit 1M.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad