GDT: Around the League 2019-20 v16

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
• No-move and no-trade clauses now travel with a player who has agreed to lift one, even if they haven’t kicked in (previously, the acquiring team had to agree).
• Players aged 35 and over can sign multi-year deals that are flat or ascending and there will be no cap hit if they retire before the deal is up (previously, the cap hit stayed no matter what).
• Year-by-year variability: six-year contracts that are front-loaded and worth at least 7.5 per cent of the cap cannot exceed 35 per cent between the highest and lowest salary amounts. Rules for other contracts remain the same (I’ve heard players and teams will consider back-loading new contracts because escrow is capped at a lower number and cash flow should improve for clubs).
• No changes to signing bonuses
*There are no more conditional picks in trades based on a player re-signing with the acquiring team. For example, the New Jersey Devils’ current third-rounder from Arizona in the Taylor Hall deal upgrades if he re-signs with the Coyotes. Agents and NHLPA staff felt it hurt players’ value.

Some interesting points from Friedman's last article over the weekend. Not sure how I feel on the over 35 one.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
• No-move and no-trade clauses now travel with a player who has agreed to lift one, even if they haven’t kicked in (previously, the acquiring team had to agree).
• Players aged 35 and over can sign multi-year deals that are flat or ascending and there will be no cap hit if they retire before the deal is up (previously, the cap hit stayed no matter what).
• Year-by-year variability: six-year contracts that are front-loaded and worth at least 7.5 per cent of the cap cannot exceed 35 per cent between the highest and lowest salary amounts. Rules for other contracts remain the same (I’ve heard players and teams will consider back-loading new contracts because escrow is capped at a lower number and cash flow should improve for clubs).
• No changes to signing bonuses
*There are no more conditional picks in trades based on a player re-signing with the acquiring team. For example, the New Jersey Devils’ current third-rounder from Arizona in the Taylor Hall deal upgrades if he re-signs with the Coyotes. Agents and NHLPA staff felt it hurt players’ value.

Some interesting points from Friedman's last article over the weekend. Not sure how I feel on the over 35 one.

I think I like the players aged over 35 one but I am not sure really. I am not sure it really makes a difference. Its usually the guys who are 28-30 who sign long term deals then drop off a cliff that end up hurting you. I think the rule about 35 and over probably helps out the players though, so I dont think its that bad.

Conditional pick resigning one is interesting.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Lindy only does stuff when he has a goalie playing out of their mind. Don't like the Devil's odds of providing that.

Blackwood was paying awesome by the time of the pause. He could be a real good one. Not Hasek but a good goalie nonetheless.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Didn’t think the Oilers would make the list and glad to see they didn’t. Trading Russell and either Chaisson or Benning would free things up pretty good for us.
I love seeing the coyotes get f***ed by the salary cap.

Losers, their number one fan is a treasure too, deserves that team.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad