GDT: Around the League 2019-20 v16

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

It's insane how far this guy is falling. Turning 27 this year. The opportunity to turn things around is shrinking. Not a whole lot of fire power on that roster.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

It's insane how far this guy is falling. Turning 27 this year. The opportunity to turn things around is shrinking. Not a whole lot of fire power on that roster.

Him being 27 is kind of shocking to be honest. He is running out of time to figure things out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know little about the guy, but I don't know that I agree with the hiring of Kevyn Adams in Buffalo.

Why not do an actual search and if he turns out to be your guy fine.

Don't really see Eichel being that much happier today than he was yesterday.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I know little about the guy, but I don't know that I agree with the hiring of Kevyn Adams in Buffalo.

Why not do an actual search and if he turns out to be your guy fine.

Don't really see Eichel being that much happier today than he was yesterday.

I think they think they have the right coach. So they probably wanted a GM who would work with that coach.

I think they needed to go down to the Oilers path with Holland. They need someone to bring stability to that franchise. Not following proper processes gets you into trouble. Time will tell with Buffalo, but their fans deserve better. What a mess.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think they think they have the right coach. So they probably wanted a GM who would work with that coach.

I think they needed to go down to the Oilers path with Holland. They need someone to bring stability to that franchise. Not following proper processes gets you into trouble. Time will tell with Buffalo, but their fans deserve better. What a mess.
Lol, I just read your posts on main board. Pretty much samething I said.

Only issue I have is they didn't spend time to do a search. It's not like Adams is some sort of highly touted guy that if they would've waited a month he would've left or anything.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Lol, I just read your posts on main board. Pretty much samething I said.

Only issue I have is they didn't spend time to do a search. It's not like Adams is some sort of highly touted guy that if they would've waited a month he would've left or anything.

Yeah pretty much the same post.

Having the GM/coach on the same page is very important. I think its the biggest reason why the Holland/Tippett combo helped turn things around this year.

But I do think its foolish from the Pegulas point of view to assume that Adams/Krueger are going to work. I assume they have very little experience with one another (Kruegers only been a coach in Buffalo for one year and Adams has no GM experience). Take a look at Chiarelli and McLellan, I am sure those two knew each other fairly well before Chiarelli hired him and it was so obvious that those two werent on the same page.

On the other hand, I think when Holland hired Tippett he knew it would work. Those guys probably know each other really well, as they have been around forever, an honestly both guys are no non-sense, so they probably had a lot of frank conversations about things.

Maybe Adams and Krueger are on the same page, maybe they have had a lot of good frank conversations. We dont know Adams very well so its probably not fair to just assume things with him, but Buffalo Ownership just make so many poor decisions, hard to have confidence in them.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I really think that Hall contract is going to be awful for whoever signs him. Hopefully the Oilers just sign Ennis to a low risk deal.

In a dream world, I would probably try and sign Pieterangelo and trade Larsson for a forward. I assume that Pieterangelo will sign with St. Louis though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah pretty much the same post.

Having the GM/coach on the same page is very important. I think its the biggest reason why the Holland/Tippett combo helped turn things around this year.

But I do think its foolish from the Pegulas point of view to assume that Adams/Krueger are going to work. I assume they have very little experience with one another (Kruegers only been a coach in Buffalo for one year and Adams has no GM experience). Take a look at Chiarelli and McLellan, I am sure those two knew each other fairly well before Chiarelli hired him and it was so obvious that those two werent on the same page.

On the other hand, I think when Holland hired Tippett he knew it would work. Those guys probably know each other really well, as they have been around forever, an honestly both guys are no non-sense, so they probably had a lot of frank conversations about things.

Maybe Adams and Krueger are on the same page, maybe they have had a lot of good frank conversations. We dont know Adams very well so its probably not fair to just assume things with him, but Buffalo Ownership just make so many poor decisions, hard to have confidence in them.
That's where I question the GM for hiring a guy that doesn't fit his vision.

I'd hope Buffalo ownership talked to both the coach and gm separately and then together making sure this is the right fit. Then again they probably just really love Adams and could very well fire Krueger at some point.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
NY maybe in need to new home for the next two season. Problem with their Long Island arena

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Poor Buffalo, I think they'll be spinning their tires for a while yet. They remind me of the decade of darkness here, with the team thinking that they were being progressive/clever by hiring rookie coaches like Eakins and Krueger, or promoting a rookie GM like Tambellini. Having a coach/GM tandem with experience has done wonders for the Oilers in only a year. I think Buffalo needs to hire people with a history of success at the NHL level to go anywhere at this point.

Reactions: joestevens29

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Is there a reason why Buffalo keeps firing GMs and replacing them with even less experienced people? It’s like trying to correct a mistake by making an even bigger one.

Reactions: joestevens29

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Is there a reason why Buffalo keeps firing GMs and replacing them with even less experienced people? It’s like trying to correct a mistake by making an even bigger one.

It is head scratching. Maybe the Owners want GM's who wont question them?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It is head scratching. Maybe the Owners want GM's who wont question them?
Having their franchise player make statements year over year should be their major concern right now.

That and Buffalo is 25th in the league with 90.7% capacity. At some point do you really want to see that number dropping? Especially at a time where people are probably going to be watching their spending a lot more closely.

But hey if the Pegulas are all about making friends instead of running a successful sports franchise then all the power to them.

The funny thing is I can see something stupid happening like Adams not even lasting the rest of the calendar year. Pegula is saying this isn't an interim gig, but then again they did just say Botterill was safe.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Building a front office around a coach with absolutely no success at this level isn't an enviable position to be in IMO. The Pegulas seem to want too much of their own input involved in their team's decisions which is likely problematic for the Sabres moving forward.

Well, they've got a guy with no front office experience now.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Poor Buffalo, I think they'll be spinning their tires for a while yet. They remind me of the decade of darkness here, with the team thinking that they were being progressive/clever by hiring rookie coaches like Eakins and Krueger, or promoting a rookie GM like Tambellini. Having a coach/GM tandem with experience has done wonders for the Oilers in only a year. I think Buffalo needs to hire people with a history of success at the NHL level to go anywhere at this point.

I also feel bad for them and wonder what the root of the problem is. They are a couple years short of our decade of darkness and are also better positioned than we were with a elite #1 center in Eichel and a elite #1 defenseman in Dahlin.

I feel Buffalo has had a decent team on paper on and off for awhile. Better than Edmonton in the decade of darkness. They also are in a much weaker Division than Edmonton was during those tough years. So... You cant cant help but feel the problem has to be the organization to some extent.

I might wander over to the Buffalo board and ask what the consensus is on what is wrong. Edmonton's problems were pretty easily spotted during the decade of darkness, Buffalo not so much. Edmonton's problems imo:

-Not enough center or defense talent/depth. Average to weak goaltending. A bunch of talented wingers just doesn't work. So poorly constructed and just bad on paper.

-Poor drafting. Premium drafting opportunity for a decade plus and we have relatively little to show for it.

-A brutal Pacific Division/Western Conference with big heavy teams that we just couldn't compete with in skill or size. Tough travel as well.

-Numerous bad and/or inexperienced coaches/gms.

-An organization known for its lack of professionalism and integrity. A club where direction and organization were reportedly lacking/confusing. Neopitism at its worst.

Im not 100% sold the last 2 items have been fixed yet. We won't know for a couple years but the team itself is far more balanced and deep. Some of our current success has to do with the Pacific/West just being that much worse as well.

As for Buffalo i don't think they have any of those same problems save maybe the last one or two...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad