Around the League - 2019/20 Season Edition #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Really interested to see what Lou does with Barzal and Pulock

Barzal is definitely one od the most interesting contracts to watch this offseason.

The only way its under 8 is on a short bridge and i really cant see the player thinking he has anything left to prove. After losing JT they cant afford to have poor relations with his organizational replacement

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Barzal is definitely one od the most interesting contracts to watch this offseason.

The only way its under 8 is on a short bridge and i really cant see the player thinking he has anything left to prove. After losing JT they cant afford to have poor relations with his organizational replacement

With a flat cap for the next 2-3 seasons I can't see Barzal going for a bridge contract shorter than 3 years since salaries likely won't rise much. If he's strong on his demands (as I assume he'll do), buying UFA years, I can't see Lou giving in to a deal that's ~$9-10 mill AAV for 5-8 years.

My bet is we see a 3 year deal around $7.5 mill AAV that will take Barzal right to UFA.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Yeah but there’s gotta be some UFA’s no? If not they’re screwed.

I hope Barzel gets as much as money Mitch because all I heard last year From islander fans was that he was better. I doubt it tho because Mitch did Dubas dirty with his demands

Nope the Islanders are screwed. Unless Dobson flops and none of their prospects turn out they're going to be in cap hell the next few seasons.

Either way they're screwed. Either the young guys progress and they can't afford them, having to trade other assets and picks just to clear cap, of their prospects all bust and they age horribly while pressed right to the cap.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lou bails this summer and let's some other GM clean up his mess again.

Reactions: weems

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Im guessing they are forced to sign Barzal to a 1 or 2 year bridge
If that's the case he'll get an offer sheet from a team like the Habs desperate for a top line center, and I don't like the sound of that, so I'm kinda hoping Lou would dump salary elsewhere to accommodate a Barzal long term contract

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Nope the Islanders are screwed. Unless Dobson flops and none of their prospects turn out they're going to be in cap hell the next few seasons.

Either way they're screwed. Either the young guys progress and they can't afford them, having to trade other assets and picks just to clear cap, of their prospects all bust and they age horribly while pressed right to the cap.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lou bails this summer and let's some other GM clean up his mess again.
I'm still really high on Dobson and would love to steal him off their hands somehow

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
9 Bruins declared unfit to play: David Pastrnak, Ondrej Kase, David Krejci, Nick Ritchie, Charlie Coyle, Sean Kuraly, Chris Wagner, Torey Krug and Tuukka Rask

Reactions: Menzinger

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

You mean his son, who he is grooming to take over for him?

They can do it... It will be costly and they likely will never be good enough to actually win without punching way above their weight, but it is possible for them to navigate and come out a somewhat competitive team. No matter what though, they seriously hampered themselves because of Lou.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
With a flat cap for the next 2-3 seasons I can't see Barzal going for a bridge contract shorter than 3 years since salaries likely won't rise much. If he's strong on his demands (as I assume he'll do), buying UFA years, I can't see Lou giving in to a deal that's ~$9-10 mill AAV for 5-8 years.

My bet is we see a 3 year deal around $7.5 mill AAV that will take Barzal right to UFA.

I think they do a 2 year deal. There is a good chance the cap rises a little bit after 2 years, a lot of money opens up for the Islanders in 2 years, and they can likely negotiate a number that they could possibly fit in next year at that term.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Isles sign Sorokin .. $2 mill cap hit next season. Leaves the Isles with $8.1 mill in cap space to sign Barzal and Pulock for next year (and any additional depth).

Plus Toews, then Pelech/Beauvillier/Sorokin next season.

The way Sorokin played out is the nail in the coffin to any "I wish Lou handled the kids contracts" sentiment. Without playing a game in the league or having any CBA granted leverage the guy had his ELC wiped out, signed for a premium vs. his ELC, and got a 1 year deal to come back for more.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I actually don't mind the name, logo, or the jerseys. Could have been a lot worse.

Golden Knights was a way worse name.

Reactions: OddyOh

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I actually don't mind the name, logo, or the jerseys. Could have been a lot worse.

Golden Knights was a way worse name.
Didn’t He want to name them Black Knights but couldn’t get it approved. Still, a great name and logo based on something real rather than fiction.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Sources: Coyotes' relationship with GM Chayka fell apart over new opportunity - Sportsnet.ca

chayka-john-05052016.jpg

It appears the relationship between John Chayka and the Arizona Coyotes fell apart over another job opportunity for the team’s current general manager.

According to multiple sources, at some point during the pandemic, the Coyotes were approached about Chayka’s availability and granted permission for him to explore the situation.

“It was not a lateral move,” one source said. “He was not going to be the GM of another NHL team.”

From what I understand, when it became apparent Chayka could leave, the Coyotes dug in and resisted. He has four years remaining on his contract, and, at least until this occurred, owner Alex Meruelo was a huge supporter of his GM. The two sides discussed the possibility of a “transition period” where the GM would stay through the remainder of Arizona’s season, but talks fell apart.

The Coyotes repeatedly have declined to comment. Craig Morgan, who runs the azcoyotesinsider.com website, tweeted Saturday that he asked a team spokesman if Chayka was still GM. Once again, the organization declined to discuss the situation.

Chayka is laying low, uninvolved in team business, not returning messages sent by anyone from agents to annoying reporters. He hasn’t attended practices, and sources indicate his office has been cleaned out. President and CEO Xavier Gutierrez, assistant GM Steve Sullivan and Alex Meruelo Jr., the owner’s son — listed as Strategic Advisor, Business and Hockey Operations — are handling much of the team’s business.

We’ll see where this goes from here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad