Around the League - 2019/20 Season Edition #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Sources: Coyotes' relationship with GM Chayka fell apart over new opportunity - Sportsnet.ca

chayka-john-05052016.jpg

It appears the relationship between John Chayka and the Arizona Coyotes fell apart over another job opportunity for the team’s current general manager.

According to multiple sources, at some point during the pandemic, the Coyotes were approached about Chayka’s availability and granted permission for him to explore the situation.

“It was not a lateral move,” one source said. “He was not going to be the GM of another NHL team.”

From what I understand, when it became apparent Chayka could leave, the Coyotes dug in and resisted. He has four years remaining on his contract, and, at least until this occurred, owner Alex Meruelo was a huge supporter of his GM. The two sides discussed the possibility of a “transition period” where the GM would stay through the remainder of Arizona’s season, but talks fell apart.

The Coyotes repeatedly have declined to comment. Craig Morgan, who runs the azcoyotesinsider.com website, tweeted Saturday that he asked a team spokesman if Chayka was still GM. Once again, the organization declined to discuss the situation.

Chayka is laying low, uninvolved in team business, not returning messages sent by anyone from agents to annoying reporters. He hasn’t attended practices, and sources indicate his office has been cleaned out. President and CEO Xavier Gutierrez, assistant GM Steve Sullivan and Alex Meruelo Jr., the owner’s son — listed as Strategic Advisor, Business and Hockey Operations — are handling much of the team’s business.

We’ll see where this goes from here.

I like his analytical approach, but he has yet to make the playoffs as GM of the Coyotes. Really, he hasn't even come all that close. So I would say it is more likely he got fired and they are trying to keep it quiet right now since Arizona is still playing. There is not really anywhere to go up for him (not that he really deserves to move up anyways), so if it is not a lateral move, it must be a downgrade. Maybe someone wants him as an Assistant GM/Head of Analytics or something. Otherwise, he will probably just go back to work with his sister.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Im hardly a Chayka fan, but thats seemingly one of the hardest jobs in the league.

You have to work on a tight budget, but also have to worry about getting fans in the stands which could potentially lead to decisions that other GMs wouldnt meed to make. And half the time folks are speculating about relocation which has got tl be a constraint on signing free agents

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He hasn't been afraid to make big moves... They just haven't been the right moves to build a contender.

They also haven't really developed their drafted talent: Traded Domi and subsequently didn't retain Chucky .. Keller has been underwhelming after a promising rookie season, Dvorak is a middling centre at this point. Chychrun is probably the best of the bunch as a second pairing d-man.

Had Domi, Dvorak and Keller developed into better top 6 players sooner, they would have a stronger top 6 to compete with. An aging Kessel wasn't the answer. Hall was acquired too late IMO.

Stepan-Dvorak-Schmaltz is a pretty average centre group.

Seems like they haven't loaded up enough up front and their blue line is aging.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Found this on the NYI site trade rumour: Islanders “who says no” trade: Five player deal with Maple Leafs

Islanders “who says no” trade: Five player deal with Maple Leafs

The Trade

I found this idea going around CapFriendly’s Armchair GM tool. It involves a five-man trade between the Islanders and the Toronto Maple Leafs with the big pieces being Scott Mayfield and Kasperi Kapanen.

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.fansided.com%2Flogos%2Fnhl%2Fislanders.png

Islanders Get
Kasperi Kapanen
Nicolas Petan

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.fansided.com%2Flogos%2Fnhl%2Fmapleleafs.png

Maple Leafs Get
Scott Mayfield
Mitch Vande Sompel
Michael Dal Colle

The idea seems clear.

For NYI:
The Islanders need help offensively and, ideally, that player has a low cap hit. Kasperi Kapanen is a 40+ point player with a $3.2 million cap hit through the 2021-22 season. This CapFriednly Armchair GM isn’t the only one to think Kapanen could be moved by the Leafs, The Athletic’s James Mirtle (subscription required) believes the Leafs might have to move the righty to make space.
Kapanen can give the Isles 20 goals from the middle six and maybe more depending who he lines up with.
Petan is a good AHL level defender and veteran that could help the Sound Tigers.

For TOR:
Unlike the Islanders, the Maple Leafs don’t need help offensively. What they need are shutdown defensemen to stop the team hemorrhaging goals. Since 2018-19, the Leafs have the 20th ranked defense with 471 goals against.
With Scott Mayfield, the Leafs get a top-4 right-handed shutdown blueliner who’s deal carries a $1.45 million cap hit through the 2022-23 season.
Vande Sompel and Dal Colle give the Leafs cheap bottom tier depth.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Petan is a good AHL level defender
Umm...
With Scott Mayfield, the Leafs get a top-4 right-handed shutdown blueliner who’s deal carries a $1.45 million cap hit through the 2022-23 season.
If Mayfield is a top-4 right-handed shutdown defenseman like you claim, why are the NYI trading a massive bargain in a year of cap hell for a more expensive player with shorter term?

Reactions: Auston Escobar

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Oof that is not going to look good on Chayka. He better have something really good lined up, because that is not a good look for him in hockey circles.

EDIT: Apparently a team out east offered him a lot of money for him to quit. Rumoured to be Buffalo.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He was thought of being one, but a lot of his moves were terrible by the numbers. As someone mentioned on twitter, what analytics told him to draft Hayton over Hughes?

There are a lot of things wrong with that organization. Maybe he was a terrible GM who made terrible decisions, or maybe does not know how to use analytics effectively, but I find it really hard to believe that he did not use analytics at all.

There are a lot of people who think that just because they have a business degree and know Excel/Tableau, they know analytics. It's not that easy, and it is why there are a lot of models which are really disappointing on Twitter, etc.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Coyotes owner to ask Bettman to adjudicate split with Chayka - Sportsnet.ca

According to multiple sources, Arizona Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo will ask NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman to adjudicate the ugly divorce between the organization and John Chayka, thereby determining the executive’s future.

“This is a contractual dispute,” one source said Sunday afternoon.

After several days of silence, the Coyotes came out firing at their former president of hockey operations and general manager.

“John Chayka has quit as the general manager and president of hockey operations,” a statement released by the team read. “The club is disappointed in his actions and his timing as the Coyotes prepare to enter the NHL’s hub city of Edmonton, where the team will begin post-season play for the first time since 2012. Chayka has chosen to quit on a strong and competitive team, a dedicated staff, and the Arizona Coyotes fans, the greatest fans in the NHL.”

Steve Sullivan is in the pilot’s seat — at least through the remainder of the Coyotes’ season.

Chayka released a statement to azcoyotesinsider.com and The Arizona Republic saying: “The past four years have been the most enjoyable of my life. In Arizona, I became a husband and a father, while working as hard as possible to make the Coyotes a Stanley Cup contender. I love our players, coaches, staff and fans and I very much wish I could be with the team in Edmonton. Sadly, the situation created by ownership made that an impossibility.”

“That’s all I intend to say on this matter for now. A fuller, more detailed explanation may be necessary in the near future. Until then, I wish the Coyotes good luck in Edmonton, and thank every member of Our Pack for the support shown to Kathryn, our daughter and myself over the years. Also, I want to congratulate Steve Sullivan as he steps into a new role. We’ve worked side-by-side for years. He is a great person and a terrific hockey mind.”

Here’s what I can best piece together:

Approximately one month ago, Meruelo received a request from another NHL owner to speak to Chayka. Initially, the request was denied. (There’s been a lot of speculation about the Buffalo Sabres, but I’m also hearing rumblings about New Jersey, although the Devils have hired Tom Fitzgerald. Word is Chayka will take time away before making any further comment or commitment.) Understand that Meruelo — up until this saga unfolded — was an enormous Chayka fan. He believed in the GM’s vision, extending him through the 2023-24 season, making the Coyotes a cap team.

Eventually, Meruelo relented and allowed the conversation. This will be a critical part of the process. He will argue that he was lied to about what was to be discussed and that Chayka said he had no intention of leaving. What, if anything, is in writing?

From what I understand, a Godfather-esque “offer he couldn’t refuse” was made. Some sources indicated that it was not a lateral move, bigger than the current job Chayka was doing. It is believed that this involves an ownership group with teams in other leagues and Chayka could have involvement in those other teams.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
1.) how can buff afford it?
2.) aren’t the yotes being punished for cheating with prospects? Or is that done now?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
is it true that the owner was negotiating Halls contract and not Chayka and that's why he quit

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
NHL source: ‘John Chayka is a liar and a quitter’ - AZ Coyotes Insider

The reasons for that termination are in dispute, however. One NHL source said Saturday that during the NHL season’s pause, Chayka asked the Coyotes for permission to pursue another “another professional opportunity” that was not with another team and had sought his release from the organization about six weeks ago.

But another source said Sunday that this account is not true.

“John Chayka is a liar and a quitter,” the source said.

Per the source, about a month ago, an NHL owner asked if he could speak to Chayka about an opportunity and was denied that permission by Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo because Chayka had just signed the extension in November (for four more years per one source; for three more years according to another) and had told Meruelo that he and his family were happy in Arizona. Chayka tried to convince Meruelo by telling him that he had been allowed to do so in the past to build relationships around the league.

“As you can imagine, Alex was upset,” the source said. “He felt betrayed and felt lied to and said, ‘Absolutely not. I’m not going to even entertain it. I want you here.’”

Per the source, on multiple occasions, Chayka was told that this was not the appropriate time to explore such an opportunity or to discuss it, but it could be revisited at the appropriate time after the season. Still, Chayka wanted out.

“There’s this narrative that members of this organization started to take job functions away from John like talking to players and agents, but the reality is John abandoned the organization,” the source said.

The source said it was Chayka’s idea for president and CEO Xavier Gutierrez and others to speak to agents and take over some of the business Chayka would normally control because Chayka felt conflicted about doing work when he didn’t want to work for the organization any more. The idea that Chayka wasn’t invited to a dinner meeting with Taylor Hall is a lie, the source said.

Per the source, the Coyotes fully expected Chayka to be in the bubble in Edmonton for the Coyotes’ play-in round game against the Nashville Predators which begins on Aug. 2, but that will clearly not be the case now.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Chayka absolutely is an "analytics gm" but he heavily emphasized micro-stats such as zone-entries, etc. Not the classic Corsi/Fenwick type of stuff we see here.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Chayka absolutely is an "analytics gm" but he heavily emphasized micro-stats such as zone-entries, etc. Not the classic Corsi/Fenwick type of stuff we see here.

I wouldn't build my team around micro stats but zone entries and zone denials are stats I'd be looking at to find underappreciated bargain basement type players in trade and UFA hoping more opportunities will get me a performance uptick

But I'd definitely be trying to sort out the drafting and development side of things first

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wow, Tampa Bay is absolutely beating up on Florida this afternoon. But honestly I’m not surprised at all. The Panthers organization always seems to be stuck in second gear, like they never build on past success and revert to their sleepwalking on ice ways. Such an enigmatic franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad