Around The League 2019-20 part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Russ Cohen talking Johnson for the Devils giving up a first rounder. WTF? I want no part of Tyler Johnson who was basically a no-show during the playoffs and is quite possibly on the steep slope downward with four years left on his contract.

Oh God no . I don’t even wan him for free

LOL! Because what we need is another small forward - NOT.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah and? I'm talking about new season. The show must go on, with or without fans.

The season usually ends June 15th or so and begins in early October - that's 3 1/2 months. A season beginning in January is 3 months off. I recognize some teams will have had 9 months off.

The players are not going to agree to the paycuts necessary to have an 82 game season. Nor should they - who wants 82 games anyway besides the owners?

Reactions: Darkauron

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I’ve seen pictures of that Lawton tweet but it’s not on his feed.

He was saying he heard some crazy shit from whoever on the radio, including that Johnson trade, not that he actually thought it was happening.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The re-signing of Tage led to wild celebrations among the giraffe community:
20201005_234627.jpg

Reactions: My3Sons

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If the rumours floating around were all true , this will be the worst draft ever lol. Taking Askarov at 7 , trading a 1st for TJ ....
I’d lose my mind. This draft is huge for the Devils moving forward. They can potentially add a dynamic top paring D or top line forward , plus two very good prospects at 18 and 20 that could be potential top 6 forward(s) . D at the 18-25 range could be #3-5 D .
I’d love Askarov but not at 7 and I want no part of Tyler Johnson . Add a first round pick on top of having to take a small, older, declining forward on a pretty large cap hit ..... God no.

If we somehow managed to get rid of Schneider , I’d be all over MAF at 50% retention plus a second. It sounds as though that is still not enough for teams to take him.... not sure how legit that is or not.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Some teams balked at paying 3.83 million in real money for the pleasure of buying out Patrick Marleau for only Toronto's first. Fleury makes 6.25 and 6 million over the next two seasons, so I can see why teams want a first.

One scenario that I wonder if it could work:

Vegas: some AHL junk
Devils: Fleury (Vegas retains 25%), Devils' 2nd rounder in 2021

Minnesota: Fleury (Devils retain 25%)
Devils: mid-round pick, car wash

Vegas has a 1.75 mil dead cap hit with Fleury which isn't great but might be workable considering the circumstance (Lehner + the dead cap hit is still slightly less than Fleury's original AAV). The Devils get their 2nd round pick back for next year. Offer sheets are rare, but at least with that pick back we could at least have the threat of an offer sheet that could lead to some alternative trade talks. New Jersey would eat about 3 million in real cash to get the 2nd rounder back which is about the same price that Detroit paid to get a 2nd rounder in the Marc Staal deal. Minnesota gets Fleury at 3.5 mil AAV.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

This is the move we need to make and like @Brodeur said, if the Leafs had to give a 1st for Carolina to take Marleau, Vegas is going to have to do the same.

We can then flip Fleury while retaining salary to a team that needs a goalie for a 2nd/prospect.

With the cap space we have, this is the type of deal we need to make in order to take advantage of teams looking to cut payroll and lower their cap situation.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
So wheel Schneider out there for the other 20-30 games?
I'm not convinced the team is planning to move on from him. I also don't think it pays to invest in a long term solution with the expansion draft looming. I imagine the team will at least kick the tires on a stop-gap, if not for Cory's health alone, but I guess we'll see their plan over the next couple of weeks.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I don't blame them for not wanting to cough up a 1st AND a 2nd.

I'd easily take Fleury and a free 1st. No need to add the 2nd.

I will laugh at VGK so hard if they do that. Just buy the dude out. You can navigate around 2 million in dead cap 3 and 4 years from now lol. I get being willing to give a second on 50% retained, but if they give up a first and a second, it will be hilarious.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'm not convinced the team is planning to move on from him. I also don't think it pays to invest in a long term solution with the expansion draft looming. I imagine the team will at least kick the tires on a stop-gap, if not for Cory's health alone, but I guess we'll see their plan over the next couple of weeks.

He's only under contract for 2 more years. I'd be surprised if Seattle is going to pick a goalie with 1 year left to UFA. That said, not sure if the Devils want to spend all that money on backup goaltending (retained MAF + Schneider) anyway.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013

Oh boy, Bergy. Amazed he's still employed, not that this deal is egregious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad